Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layouts II

Default Layouts II

Well, I really wanted to hunt this boat a couple times this season, but that would have required giving up more time hunting than I was willing to do I guess. Still not done but got it ready to get wet today after dumping my last mallards of the year. So I will have to settle for some water testing in the next couple weeks. For this second version I've made a few changes to the hull, adding more interior space and max length that can be hauled in a short bed pickup without flagging. I'm still not sure about the reversed chines. I was looking for a way to get the spud holes outside the boat, hand holds without the grass rails and keep the low in the water appearance. If they hinder anything they are going to come off and I'll go back to the grass rails.Most of the changes won't be visible in these pics, next week I'll get some of both models side by side.
    Anyways, it's a "prototype" at this point still, but since I said pics were coming some time ago I figured I'd better get some up.IMG_3216.JPGIMG_3214.JPG

IMG_3212.JPGIMG_3215.JPG Pic of reversed chine and the bigger V on the bow. The new bottom should both paddle easier and get on step with less hp assuming equal loads. Even on the smaller wood cored boat will most likely use this fairbody from now on.

IMG_3213.JPGIMG_3247.JPG No forward bulkhead for more "dry" storage area. The foam cored topsides add back the floatation. And shot of the hull bottom or fairbody, before assembly.

Nice looking boats Lane, i have a 5 hp scavanger that might work well with that, i'd be happy to "field test" one of them for you next season. Bud
    Wasilla

That is perty slick for little layout boat. Look's like a cross between a Fatboy and a UFO. I'm holding out to get an EBADS next year, just need to scrounge up a few bucks.
    But getting back on subject, that should scoot along very nicely with a little 5 H.P. mud motor.

Nice looking boat. How much will it weigh?

I have not weighed it yet as it was wet when I snapped the pics but the target weight is 100lbs for a 11' version. (stretching longer will be a option depending on how it will be hunted.) This particular boat may wind up a tad over that as it has to be perfect for pulling a mold, but should be very close. I am wanting to water test it for performance to see how or if the chines effect things, and I may change the transom shape before making a final call on that as well..... I realized early in building this slightly bigger boat that the EBADS was going to be the competition. And that boat has attained a well deserved reputation over the last couple years since its introduction. I've tried to maximize efficiency on this hull. Whether paddling, rowing or motoring it should move farther with less power with a light load and still carry a heavy load equal to the EBADS... I say should, just in case my math is wrong.
    short trip to ANC and then I'll get back and test her out with a 2.5 hp LT. A 5-6.5 mud motor will be optimal for the 11 footer.

Beautiful boat Lane..

Im looking for a UFO style layout boat if anyone hears of something please let me know.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I've got the plans for a UFO style boat if you are interested in doing your own build
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Then email them to me.. I will have to find someone to help me out. Matt might, he has some experience..sounds like a good winter project.

Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I've got the plans for a UFO style boat if you are interested in doing your own build
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I lend a hand DH, lemme know after you've got the plans. Couple ways to make that boat happen for you

Seems there would be a huge sense of pride hunting out of one you personally crafted. I appreciate the offer. I will let you know. I have the room, might lack some tools, but know a buddy that probably can help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I lend a hand DH, lemme know after you've got the plans. Couple ways to make that boat happen for you

DH, I think that's part of it, it's deeper though sometimes. It's hard to describe, what I do know for fact though is building your own duck boat is a SLIppery slope. I built my first boat at 17 yrs old, specifically to hunt ducks. That was 26 years and I have no idea how many boats ago.

Lane, it was very nice to meet you the other night. Happy to see you in the area and with enough time and interest to attend our meeting, welcome to the group. I am very interested in your 11' boat, will talk some more about it as it progresses. Bud
    Wasilla

db02.jpgdb05.jpg Been great weather here last couple days

db15.jpgdb04.jpg Still may make a change or two to the hull, waiting on couple different props for little more testing. But solid 16mph with the 6.5 clone longtail and hunt load.

db22.jpgAnd don't think just cause I'm in deep water I don't still do some destructive testing..

Ok cant upload more pics, cant delete old ones and cant edit after 20 min..... Anyway, Last photo above was me coming in hot... and I parked her on the gravel beach, stern outta the water....lol

Awesome pics David... Can't wait to see her

Dave great pics wish we could run our boats right now lOL
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast