Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best gmu for brown bear during spring!

Question best gmu for brown bear during spring!

Okay, here is the deal, im 22, in the army, cant just disappear for weeks! I know there is no correct answer to my question and not wanting to start arguments amongst people. I'm looking for a well populated brown bear gmu, not too far from anchorage, and that has a general season, no limited draws, just something I can get a brown bear tag for, this will be my first brown bear hunt as well so any tips greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time

This coming spring on the Kenai you will be able to kill a brown bear over a black bear bait station. But you better do it quick as I see "closed by emergency order" written all over this one...........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    This coming spring on the Kenai you will be able to kill a brown bear over a black bear bait station. But you better do it quick as I see "closed by emergency order" written all over this one...........lol
    I thought that the kenai only had limited hunting permits? What do I need to get from sportsmans to be able to hunt on the kenai this spring? Thanks for the help!
    JB

The tags are available over the counter as a registration permit. That along with a $25 locking tag is all you need for units 7 and 15 on the Kenai Peninsula. As for baiting them as 4merguide references, understand that if taken over bait that all of the edible meat needs to be salvaged. Not too many folks eat brown bear from coastal areas, so that would be a non-starter for me. If hunting the Kenai Peninsula this spring (which I hope to do), I would do it as a spot and stalk hunt in the mountains when they're emerging from their dens.

Unit 13 offers a good opportunity for spring bear as well. Lots of terrain, lots of bears, pretty good access options.

I know it's not very close to Anchorage, but the highest density of brown bears your going to find in Alaska is in Unit 4 in southeast.

Thanks Brian, yea I wouldn't be too into hunting over bait, i'd much rather spot and stalk as you stated. I was originally planning on going to 13, however I think I may try them both now! What is the earliest I could start going trying to catch them coming out of their dens rough dates of course. thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I know it's not very close to Anchorage, but the highest density of brown bears your going to find in Alaska is in Unit 4 in southeast.
    I didn't even see you post! lol thank you for that i'll look into it! is there any crazy regs about that unit I need know about?

The first week of April is probably the earliest realistic chance, with your chances getting higher each week until the snow becomes rotten. After that you'll want to wait until the last couple of weeks of May to get around without the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The first week of April is probably the earliest realistic chance, with your chances getting higher each week until the snow becomes rotten. After that you'll want to wait until the last couple of weeks of May to get around without the snow.
    thanks brian, now as far as getting the permit and locking tag for kenai, is there a time frame I need to buy this by? such as a deadline? thanks

I think the regs down here are pretty straight forward. A resident is allowed one bear per every 4 regulatory years. The permit is available online beginning March 4th. With an average of one bear per square mile; it will be hard to find a denser populated area than the ABC islands here in southeast.

Is a Snowmachine a good option for a unit 13 early brown bear.

It doesn't sound like you've spent much time reading the regs. Start there, then the questions you ask will sound more intelligent. I know I'm sounding like a smart a##, but it will show that you really have the desire and motivation if you do the necessary research first.

Unit 13 does have way less motorized access restrictions than the Kenai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Is a Snowmachine a good option for a unit 13 early brown bear.
    Absolutely, so long as you get out before the snow turns rotten. hunt_ak and I hit it a few days late two years ago, and instead of making our planned 60-80 mile loop (that we're almost certain would have resulted in bear sightings if not a harvest), we made it less than two miles. Man, that was one miserable slog! If the daytime temps are still relatively low, though, it's a great way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by jbreadyrltw View Post
    Thanks Brian, yea I wouldn't be too into hunting over bait, i'd much rather spot and stalk as you stated.
    I wouldn't doubt that most of us, myself included, would like to kill a brown bear via spot and stalk. But you said you couldn't disappear for weeks. Yes, you can get lucky and kill a brown bear this way. But you wouldn't believe how many guys registered for a brownie tag this year and how so few were actually killed. In the 30+ years I've been here I don't think I've seen a handful of brownies in the mountains. Again, a person can get lucky for sure, but it's not as easy as one might think.....especially if you don't have a lot of time. Killing a brownie over bait this spring will probably be the fastest way to do so. Would it be very "fun"....probably not, but (IMO) there are lots of bears and it's a pretty sure fire way to kill one fairly quickly. If you don't like the idea of killing a bear over bait, which I can totally appreciate, I'd say just focus on a salmon stream and that would also be a good idea. But, by the time the fish are in the rivers, I wouldn't doubt it at all that a closure may be in place by then because of all the bears that may get killed earlier over bait. The Feds closed the refuge to brown bear hunting in pretty short order because they felt too many bears were being killed. I wouldn't doubt the state following suit as well if as many bears are killed over bait as I think there may be.

Oh and btw.....as far as salvaging all the meat from the field, that's what legally has to be done. Weather or not you actually want to eat it is entirely up to you......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

whoops mis post

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    It doesn't sound like you've spent much time reading the regs. Start there, then the questions you ask will sound more intelligent. I know I'm sounding like a smart a##, but it will show that you really have the desire and motivation if you do the necessary research first.
    I have been reading the regs. just not for the kenai because I was only planning on hunting unit 13 because I was under the impression you couldn't hunt there by just getting a permit and locking tag, and if so was there a deadline because I've been seeing some Dec 17th deadline and wasn't sure if that included brown bear tag for that unit. I've hunted all over the states and Africa but never hunted somewhere with so many regulations depending on the area. Plus the army stresses how crazy it is all the time and be very careful what your doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I wouldn't doubt that most of us, myself included, would like to kill a brown bear via spot and stalk. But you said you couldn't disappear for weeks. Yes, you can get lucky and kill a brown bear this way. But you wouldn't believe how many guys registered for a brownie tag this year and how so few were actually killed. In the 30+ years I've been here I don't think I've seen a handful of brownies in the mountains. Again, a person can get lucky for sure, but it's not as easy as one might think.....especially if you don't have a lot of time. Killing a brownie over bait this spring will probably be the fastest way to do so. Would it be very "fun"....probably not, but (IMO) there are lots of bears and it's a pretty sure fire way to kill one fairly quickly. If you don't like the idea of killing a bear over bait, which I can totally appreciate, I'd say just focus on a salmon stream and that would also be a good idea. But, by the time the fish are in the rivers, I wouldn't doubt it at all that a closure may be in place by then because of all the bears that may get killed earlier over bait. The Feds closed the refuge to brown bear hunting in pretty short order because they felt too many bears were being killed. I wouldn't doubt the state following suit as well if as many bears are killed over bait as I think there may be.

Oh and btw.....as far as salvaging all the meat from the field, that's what legally has to be done. Weather or not you actually want to eat it is entirely up to you......
    Yea I guess that makes a lot of sense! As much as I would like to spot and stalk, I guess i'll definitely have to consider this method in order to get my first brownie in the time frame I may have to work with. Thanks for the advice!

JB

Actually, you don't even need the locking tag or permit in unit 13.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Actually, you don't even need the locking tag or permit in unit 13.

yea it said all you needed was a harvest tag, and no closed season which is why I was planning for that unit, seemed like the best choice for a beginner up here. I've just never hunted this way. It was guided hunt in Africa, then in the lower 48 it was always my families property or friends property hunting whitetail. Just buy the tag and your good to go! lol up here many more regs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast