Thread: GMU 13 for brown bears in spring?

Default GMU 13 for brown bears in spring?

First post here so sorry if im in the wrong spot! I was stationed up here about a 18 months and finally got around to getting my 30-06 up here and would like to go hunting for brownies in the spring. How is GMU 13 for population of browns? Also, I cant seem to find any tbbc or nosler partitions up here so I bought 180gr trophy bonded tips. will these bullets work? I can put the bullet where it needs to go. Any tips and help would be appreciated! Thanks

JB

Quote Originally Posted by jbreadyrltw View Post
    First post here so sorry if im in the wrong spot! I was stationed up here about a 18 months and finally got around to getting my 30-06 up here and would like to go hunting for brownies in the spring. How is GMU 13 for population of browns? Also, I cant seem to find any tbbc or nosler partitions up here so I bought 180gr trophy bonded tips. will these bullets work? I can put the bullet where it needs to go. Any tips and help would be appreciated! Thanks

JB
    An absolutely excellent place to go. Also, the Clearwater creek closed area (closed to motorized vehicles) has an exception for using motorized vehicles to hunt wolves and brownies until June 30th. Call the MacLaren river lodge and send a message to denalihunter on this forum. They'll give you a heck of a good start on where to go and what to do.

The 06 with 180 grainers will do the job. The interior brown bears are smaller than the big coastal brown bears and 06 is definitely enough to kill them. Just shoot straight at the vitals.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

thank you very much! yes im very excited to kick this off! I have been hunting all over the lower 48, was lucky enough to go on a 15 day Africa hunt, then I joined the army and couldn't believe my luck being stationed up here in gods country with some of the best hunting in the world! I also traded in my trophy bonded tips for some barnes tsx and I feel much better with them! Thanks very much i'll message him and contact the lodge! I appreciate the help!

If you cant send private messages yet, denalihunter is Claude, the proprietor of Alpine Creek Lodge.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    If you cant send private messages yet, denalihunter is Claude, the proprietor of Alpine Creek Lodge.
    yea it wouldn't let me pm so I just emailed him. he seems to know a lot about unit 13 so hopefully I can give me the do's and dont's and where about my best chance to catch a brownie would be!