Thread: Kuiu Icon 7200??

Default Kuiu Icon 7200??

Anyone here have one of these packs or used one in the past? If so, mind sharing your opinion on this pack? I've been eyeing the 7200 the past couple of months and have been thinking about replacing my Barney's pinnacle for the Icon for my sheep and goat hunts.

I would look at Kifaru's line of packs or a stone glacier before a kuiu for sure. With that being said I've never used a Kuiu pack, just know what I've heard. Kifaru and Stone Glacier have a much better reputation to my knowledge. What exactly are you looking for in a pack?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    I would look at Kifaru's line of packs or a stone glacier before a kuiu for sure. With that being said I've never used a Kuiu pack, just know what I've heard. Kifaru and Stone Glacier have a much better reputation to my knowledge. What exactly are you looking for in a pack?
    +1, I have no experience with the KUIU packs, but I have read numerous threads about trouble with the carbon fiber frame. I love their clothes, but from the reports and thread on the packs I have seen say that they don't do well with loads over 100lbs.

I have done several sheep and goat hunts with Kifaru packs and can say that they are top quality with outstanding customer service and I have heard the same about the Stone Glacier.

Thread listing dislikes

http://forum.kuiu.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3575
    Last edited by stid2677; 12-18-2013 at 07:05.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Matt,
    Here is a link (hopefully) to the 3:33 minute video explaining their modular pack system. Their packs are designed to carry up to 150#'s
    with their new carbon fiber frame of 11 1/2 ounces. I have their 7200 now and have only taken it on road hikes and of late, snowshoe hikes.
    I read the entire "complaining" thread that Steve linked to. In my humble opinion, you will never appease everyone no matter what you build.
    http://store.kuiu.com/#

Having used both the Kuiu and Kifaru I will say that "FOR ME" Kifaru is much more comfortable with weight. But everyone is different so take that for what its worth.

If you'd like to see some Kifaru packs in person maybe we can meet up sometime and you can look 'em over.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Having used both the Kuiu and Kifaru I will say that "FOR ME" Kifaru is much more comfortable with weight. But everyone is different so take that for what its worth.

If you'd like to see some Kifaru packs in person maybe we can meet up sometime and you can look 'em over.

Have you tried a Stone glacier?? I'm trying to decide if I want a kifaru pack or a stone glacier.

Thanks, guys. Good info as always. And Luke, I wouldn't mind trying on some of your packs. Maybe try and meet up after the holidays or something?

I'm also interested in the stone glacier pack as well.

My backpack experience is pretty much Barney's packs and that is it.

I've been a Barney's guy for years but am in the market for something lighter as well.

My hunting partner had the Kuiu 7200 on our sheep hunt this year. The pack has lots of great features and still manages to keep a light weight. The pockets and openings are pretty well thought out and convenient. As always the trade off for light weight is durability. I wore my partners pack for just a few minutes on a scouting trip this summer and thought it road OK but would really have to throw it on again to get a bet a better feel for it.

I had the Kifaru Bikini frame and Stone Glacier side by side a couple of nights ago. Honestly, I could right pro's and con's for both of these packs. It all comes down to which features are more important to you. It really is worth getting your hands on all three packs before shelling out the cash. They all are strong in different areas/features.

I wish you could put Kifaru's belt on Stone Glaciers frame, that would be an awesome pack.

There is a guy in Anchorage who has affiliation with SG and has a loaner pack here in town that you can pick up and take for a hike. I can hook you up with his contact info if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Have you tried a Stone glacier?? I'm trying to decide if I want a kifaru pack or a stone glacier.
    Yep,

I tried the stone glacier, and for me the comfort of the waistbelt of the Kifaru beat out the comfort on the Stone Glacier. Both are great options and the first two I'd suggest for a lightweight hunting pack. Just a matter of which works for you best.

I used a KUIU 7200 on my sheep and goat hunts this year and I was not happy with the durability of it. Nor was I happy with how it carried a load. 60lbs distributed over the whole pack is what it's designed for, tops. But that's just my opinion. I didn't think it rode well with weight. I was happier with my Barney's pack.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I used a KUIU 7200 on my sheep and goat hunts this year and I was not happy with the durability of it. Nor was I happy with how it carried a load. 60lbs distributed over the whole pack is what it's designed for, tops. But that's just my opinion. I didn't think it rode well with weight. I was happier with my Barney's pack.
    Can't speak for the durability as I just carried a friends of mine loaded up, but I have thought the same thing about how it carried. Even with 80 pounds in it it was VERY apparent it didn't carry nearly as well as Mystery Ranch 6500, Barney's, or Kifaru.

http://www.stoneglacier.com/2014%20products.html

New options for a pack in the 7000 CI range.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    I wish you could put Kifaru's belt on Stone Glaciers frame, that would be an awesome pack.
    It looks like the 2014 SG packs have a new belt. Might worth checking out.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Maybe to confuse things a little more, the Seek Outside Paradox 6300 should be thrown into the mix as well. I don't have any personal experience with this pack (maybe Luke wouldn't mind chiming in on this), but might be worth a look see.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Maybe to confuse things a little more, the Seek Outside Paradox 6300 should be thrown into the mix as well. I don't have any personal experience with this pack (maybe Luke wouldn't mind chiming in on this), but might be worth a look see.
    Its another great option as well....had a mountain goat (meat and hide) in it this fall. Not as comfy for me as Kifaru, but certainly a great option no doubt. At that price range of pack it really comes down more to personal preferences than one being clearly superior to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Anyone here have one of these packs or used one in the past? If so, mind sharing your opinion on this pack? I've been eyeing the 7200 the past couple of months and have been thinking about replacing my Barney's pinnacle for the Icon for my sheep and goat hunts.
    I have used both of the packs you mentioned, and I would consider going from a barneys to a kuiu 7200 a significant downgrade, at least for sheep/goat hunting when you have a potential for a very heavy load. The kuiu seems more like a 4-7 day backpacking for fun backpack, not a hunting backpack. As others have said, the kuiu packs just don't seem to handle the weight very well. Sure it might be fine the first few days hiking in, and sure it might "hold" over 100 lbs without breaking, but I'll almost guarantee you'll use it once and switch back to your barneys after carrying a heavy load. Save the $600. No experience with Kifaru or Stone glacier, but that's my $0.02

I was turned on to the Kifaru Timberline 1 (7000) pack year for my sheep hunt by a forum member and I love it. I bought it with the bikini frame and I added a couple medium pouches and the longhunter lid, its now a 9800 with everything attached which hold a lot more weight than I want to carry, but the room is nice. It carried nice and the belt and suspension was awesome to say the least. I hear they have a new bag this year but I don't know that much about it, it might be worth checking out. There are a couple of videos over on http://www.rokslide.com for the new pack, looks pretty cool.

Good luck!