Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Draw application mistakes

  1. #1
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,525

    Default Draw application mistakes

    After reading several posts/threads about folks either messing up their draw applications or wanting to change them, it got me thinking. If a person does something wrong with the draw application where they get kicked out of the application process, does F&G notify them about being removed? If so, do they also explain why they were removed, or do they just make your application nil and void and as far as you know you just wern't lucky enough to draw a tag? Also, if you messed up on one tag, say you applied for a tag that you had scored the previous year, do you just get removed from the drawing for that particular tag or does your whole application get tossed? One last question. If you made a mistake like putting a number in wrong for instance ADL #, would the whole application be tossed and would you loose all your money or would they refund you?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    After reading several posts/threads about folks either messing up their draw applications or wanting to change them, it got me thinking. If a person does something wrong with the draw application where they get kicked out of the application process, does F&G notify them about being removed? If so, do they also explain why they were removed, or do they just make your application nil and void and as far as you know you just wern't lucky enough to draw a tag? Also, if you messed up on one tag, say you applied for a tag that you had scored the previous year, do you just get removed from the drawing for that particular tag or does your whole application get tossed? One last question. If you made a mistake like putting a number in wrong for instance ADL #, would the whole application be tossed and would you loose all your money or would they refund you?
    I don't know for sure how it works currently, but I know as recent as 5 or 6 years ago, it would not even let me enter a hunt number that I had won before. It gave me some form of error message when I tried to enter it. Took me a bit to realize what the problem was since I was thinking it was two years previous that I had won that permit and thought at first I should be fine. Again, I don't know how it works currently or if it has changed since then, but that is how it was at that point.

  3. #3
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    It's best to go over the hunts that are offered as soon as the draw supplement is available. Make sure you know what you want to go for, before filling out the application! If going for a party hunt, make sure that only one person of the party applies for you both! I always check what I've put down on the application thoroughly before going on to the next step, to make certain that all the hunting license numbers, drivers license numbers, etc. are correct. I'm not sure if they notify you if you have made a mistake on your application and what mistake you made, but I'm pretty sure it will be rejected & they won't be refunding your money for making a mistake.
    "Grin and Bear It"

  4. #4
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    I don't believe that I've personally made any mistakes. I was just thinking about if I had, how would I know? I've been putting in for draw hunts for over 20 years now and as far as I know I've never made any mistakes, but I guess I don't know for sure, as I don't know what happens when a mistake is made.

  5. #5
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    The draw application program that F&G has is (IMO) an updated program. If you try to put in for a hunt that you drew the year before, it will flag you, and you can't go on to the next step unless you correct it. Also the program has your data from prior applications from years before. One time I applied and forgot to load my IBEP number and it loaded it for me automatically, nowdays I still put it in anyways to make sure. Also, I never do party applications for me or anyone in the family, however I know a friend who tried to apply with a his partner and was flagged immediately when he tried to do it, only because there was miscommunication on "who" was going to do it, because his partner already did. But to answer Troutbums question. I know a few people who got a default after the drawing results came out, and never got an answer for a long time, also the system may have a few gliches too, I heard of a resident that put in for a non-res tag by accident and it did not flag him either, until he caught it, never got refund, for was his fault, he shoulda wore his glasses, but he accepted his faults and learned from it. Tearbear said it best, do it early, ensure your choices, and double check your work before you go on to the "next step" or commit.

  6. #6
    Member ak_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    If you do screw up a hunt, it will only cancel out that species, not the entire application. Any changes after the fact have to been done by a paper app in the F&G office, and there are no refunds.

  7. #7
    Member CtP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sitka
    Posts
    261

    Default

    There is also a draw permit/tier change request form that you can fill out and mail/fax/drop off/ or turn in that will allow you to change your mistakes. Got the info from the ADF&G office in Juneau cuz I had to make a correction.
    Had to be in by 5 today since they extended the deadline by one day.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    ... I know a friend who tried to apply with a his partner and was flagged immediately when he tried to do it, only because there was miscommunication on "who" was going to do it, because his partner already did.....
    Glad to hear this. Last year my sheep hunting partner and I had a miscommunication and the system allowed me/us to apply for a party hunt that had already been applied for as an individual. I know we are responsible for doing it right, but it only makes good sense to have a system that alerts one when a duplicate hunt is accidentally applied for. Easy-peasy from a programmers perspective for the system to not allow duplicate applications for a hunt. Whether it be a screw like we did, or just a typo when entering the number. It's pretty easy to enter DS102 and DS102 instead of DS102 and DS103 by fat fingering a keyboard.

    I'm not sure how it is setup this year but last year neither one of us got any kind of feedback from the system regarding our screw up.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  9. #9
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    This year they removed one source of error, as you now choose your hunts from a drop-down menu instead of typing them in yourself. I liked that change.

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Sounds like a good improvement. My partner did ours this year and I didn't apply for anything else so I didn't use the new system.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  11. #11
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    983

    Default

    The "new and improved" system was a lot faster to use this year...

    even with the oppertunity to apply for 6 moose tags..

    good luck everybody,

    Chris

  12. #12
    Member iusckeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    If you do screw up a hunt, it will only cancel out that species, not the entire application. Any changes after the fact have to been done by a paper app in the F&G office, and there are no refunds.
    I can vouch for this. I had a coworker that applied for the Tier 1 and three moose tags outside Unit 13 two years ago. I thought he ruined all chances at drawing a moose or getting the Tier 1. He ended up receiving the tier one and nothing for moose.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •