Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 foot Tall Moose that weighs 2300lbs

Default 15 foot Tall Moose that weighs 2300lbs

http://www.moosehuntinginfo.com/world-record-moose.php

So has any one shot any moose lately that are 15 feet tall and weight 2300 lbs? Just watched are friends in Homer talking about getting 800-1000 lbs of meat from a mature Bull Moose? We have always processed our moose at home and by the time we done we usually end up with 350-500 max of meat that includes adding pork fat sausage slims etc.

Has anyone ever truly shot a bull with just the meat weighing over 500 lbs?

In 1991, I shot a bull that I shipped back to PA as excess baggage - 9 boxes that maxed out at 70 lbs each (AH, the good old days). This was from a single bull and the meat was boned. I took the meat to a processor and did not weigh the finished product, so am not sure how much of the 630 lbs was lost on the cutting table, but doubt it would have dropped the yield below 500 lbs. The butcher that cut the meat said the size of various cuts were what he would expect from a steer that dressed out (guts & hide removed) at 1500 lbs.
    The bull did not come close to 15' tall.

It has to be true I just saw it on the internet.

Whoever is running that website doesn't have a clue. The moose on top that they say was shot in Alaska, standing 13' tall, was shot in Kamchatka, Russia. Eric Arnette's moose was the one with the garden of points. This one.The%20biggie.jpg

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread. I've never shot a 50+ moose so I have no idea.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Yes two years ago up off the yukon .When i had it processed i got back 630lbs of meat.

The show is a hollywood production. Watch it for very long and you can pick out many inaccuracies. In fact from watching this you would never know that there is a Safeway Store just down the street and the participants visit it regularly.

You guys are all missing the fact that the moose is reported as 15 INCHES tall, not FEET: "With an astonishing weight of over 2300 pounds and 15" tall, this is a remarkable creature." Poor lil' moose. Its insides must have been packed with solid platinum.
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    You guys are all missing the fact that the moose is reported as 15 INCHES tall, not FEET: "With an astonishing weight of over 2300 pounds and 15" tall, this is a remarkable creature."
    Ha...!!! I was wondering if anybody else noticed that. Dang stout little sucker...!!!......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

my first bull provided a lot more than 500 lbs in meat...

And I have harvested a couple of cows that provided more than 500 lbs of de-boned meat..
    but I like really close trimming, and do my own grinding when i can...
    taking the meat somewhere- they usually don't take care of it like you would.

i also bring the moose carcuss back whole to the house for processing,
    less waste, less throw away due to contamination

but none taller than 7 1/2 to 8 foot at the hump..

But my grizzly (7 1/2 +, and maybe had beaver meat in gut from a bait station) in 2006 became 22 feet tall and a maneater when the News Miner story got put on the internet

Chris

15 feet would be a big stretch, even if measuring to the highest point on the antlers on a huge bull moose. Consider that there are some highway overpasses in/near Anchorage that are just over 16 feet tall. Don't think I have ever seen a moose that would be close to not fitting under an overpass...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose30 View Post

So has any one shot any moose lately that are 15 feet tall and weight 2300 lbs? Just watched are friends in Homer talking about getting 800-1000 lbs of meat from a mature Bull Moose? We have always processed our moose at home and by the time we done we usually end up with 350-500 max of meat that includes adding pork fat sausage slims etc.

Holy crap that website is awesome....moose trapping? Moose hunting with dogs? Inflatable decoys? Imagine the possibilities!
    Your meat estimate is right on, btw..... no one's gonna get 1000 lbs of meat from a moose.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    You guys are all missing the fact that the moose is reported as 15 INCHES tall, not FEET: "With an astonishing weight of over 2300 pounds and 15" tall, this is a remarkable creature."
    I saw that too. He was probably 10 feet long, 5 feet wide....and handled the corners at a dead run like he was painted on the tundra.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Moose30 View Post

We got 600lbs of cut and wrapped boneless meat off a bull one year, and we lost some of the neck and shoulder. We did/do our own processing. I think it's the only time I've actually weighed the meat. Buddy lowered the boom on him, 69 1/4 incher north of Fairbanks. Massive body. Huge animal.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

If your moose is 7 1/2' at the shoulder you then lift his head to normal head up which should give at least 9 1/2' then measure to the top of the antlers say three feet giving 12 1/2' hight. Yes 15' is not beyond belief.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    ...Yes 15' is not beyond belief.
    Uh huh ... Neither is Santa Clause! Merry Christmas Will.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yes 15' is not beyond belief.
    You must mean standing on his hind leg tip toes...???......lol

I'd have to say, even if I saw that I'd have a da*ned hard time believing it...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yes 15' is not beyond belief.
    LOL

"– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

On the show they quoted as 15feet 15 inches is more confusing" What was it a jackamoose? Plus they asked the old timer with the horses so how much meat do you think we will get out of this Bull? Oh I would say at least 800-1000 lbs of meat.

Yes it is if the Moose was 15 feet tall that means you could reach out and touch his antlers from a second story window with out leaning down.

second story house windows that low?

inside room dimisions at least a 7 1/2 foot ceiling..
    house up on a foundation say an average of 1 1/2 feet..
    floor joists- say 2 x 6 with 1/2 partial board...
    window set at waist height- say 32 inches...

that would put the window at least 14 feet from the ground outside....

but, with raised foundations, crawl spaces ect I would think average height is closer to 18 feet here in the interior...

but it is too cold to get the tape measure out..

I have seen a bull moose that was to the top of my front door jamb (doorway level with ground) at the hump, he was bumping his antlers on the door going down my sidewalk- AND I opened the door to both our surprises!!!!!

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast