Thread: Great deal on Vortex spotter

Default Great deal on Vortex spotter

I'm not associated with these guys at all, just looking for a deal on a spotting scope. Eagle Optics has the Vortex Viper 15-45X65 for $350. Normally a $700 scope.

Enjoy!

Vortex makes the viper and the viper hd and the hd is about 700. Is the scope your talking about the hd version? The non hd viper is about 400 to 500 normally I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, wrong website, the EagleOptics website is http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-...spotting-scope

Save your money and buy the best that will work when it counts low light conditions by Swarovski. Are they expensive yes will it last your lifetime yes. You take time off work spend all kinds of money to hunt? But you want to cheap out on your optics? My hunting partner had a Vortex its was useless in low light conditions.

I could make the moose out more clearly with my naked eye. Just saying put yourself on a payment or layaway program at one of the stores you will be happy you did. It will save you a lot of walking and guessing while your in the field.

after bad experiences with vortex's riflescopes there isn't a discount deep enough to have me using one of their products again.

I had planned the get the vortex viper hd 15x45 but after using it I couldn't find 300$ worth of quality over the vortex diamondback 20x60. The diamondback is also very light and packable. This year I used it on numerous scouting trips and my goat hunt. Love it. Sure at 60 power it doesn't have the best lowlight capabilities but in those cases you just pull the magnification back till your satisfied and it brightens right up. My biggest concern with the vortex viper was its size... Way to big to pack up a mountain, or back down with an extra 80lbs. I met another guy at the range here in Kenai that had just bought the same diamondback setup for a mt goat hunt and loved it? He also dropped the scope on its objective in a parking lot, shattered it, sent it back using to VIP warranty and the sent him a new one very quickly.

I'm a leupold guy normally, but after this spotter I was thinking about trying one of the vortex rifle scopes. Could the member that had a bad experience with his vortex rifle scope elaborate a little. I have read that occasionally they'll send you a lemon but will replace it within a week or a little more if you send it back To them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'd be happy to describe my vortex experiences. to start off, i'm no optics aficionado...i don't know things like focal points or whatever, i put things in the crosshairs and expect the bullet to get pretty close. in 2012 i got a new .338 and had full intentions of equipping it with a leupold since that's what i've had on other rigs and haven't had any problems. the person helping me sold me on the vortex because it was supposed to have comparable glass to the leupold but have a few more bells and whistles at that price point; plus there was the great warranty. i got the vortex, sighted it in (i have to mention i was never too pleased with my groupings), and went out hunting two weeks later. that morning i pulled up to look down my scope but couldn't see anything cause the lens had fogged up...on the inside. apparently the tube had a leak and the scope was replaced with a new one with absolutely no hassle. with the my next vortex scope i could never quite get things sighted in. i would spend an afternoon and feel like i finally had it dialed in (sort of...large groups) and then when i would shoot it a couple weeks later to verify my groups it would be hitting in completely different area. but since i've never had problems with scopes before i thought there might be something wrong with the gun. bad scope never occurred to me. twice i sent the gun back to the manufacturer and twice it came back with a clear bill of health. i spent over 6 monts shooting tons of ammo through the gun (.338 isn't cheap...but at least it was available at the time) and could never get the darn thing dialed in. there were several times i suspected the scope and called vortex and they would have me tighten a screw here and then loosen one here; try this, and then try that. since i couldn't visibly see anything wrong with the scope i didn't feel there was a reason to be suspicious of it. however, after so long i decided enough was enough and i told them i was sending it in to have them take a look at it. i was always hesitant to send things in cause it was expensive and each time i would have to have the scope taken off then put back and and then re-sighted in. the took a look and they said the tube was bent and there was an issue with the crosshairs (scope had never been dropped and i'm even a little obsessive compulsive with how i take care of my stuff). i told them i want nothing else to do with them after having spent more than 6 months and over $500 in ammo on two of their defective products. they understood (i was pleased with them on this). they had me send in the receipt (glad i kept it) and i was refunded the cost of the scope. that weekend i went and bought a carl zeiss which took only 9 rounds to have sighted in and i've been shooting absolutely excellent groups ever since. i've figured that my mistake set me back the cost of shipping everything everywhere to have checked and returned, my time (which i consider to be valuable), the cost of ammo (.338 remember), the extra cost of the more expensive scope which i wouldn't have purchased had i got a good scope at my initial price point, and the loss of an animal. i'm happy to have learned a valuable lesson as i will only buy quality glass from now on...no time to waste on vortex any more. plus, i love looking through absolutely crystal clear lenses and having confidence that i'll hit where my crosshairs are pointed...every time! as confirmation that vortex stuff fails, my friend's vortex binos (3 yrs old) fogged up on the inside (leaky tube) this moose hunt and having seen this before with my scope i know exactly what he may be in for. hope this helps and i'm sure not all of their stuff fails but why chance it. cheap products are too expensive!

woops, i didn't know how my response was that long. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    woops, i didn't know how my response was that long. sorry.
    No problem as I appreciate the info for sure. I've always said don't skimp when it comes to optics......as you found out.

But, unfortunately not everybody can afford a Swaro or another one of the "Big 3." I have Swaro binos because I got a good deal on them, but I do have a Nikon spotter that has been good to me. Far from the best but has been worth owning. From everything I've heard, that Pentax is some good glass as well.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the response. Huh I may be rethinking a vortex rifle scope purchase. Wouldn't want a scope to fog up inside on a long hunt. Was that the crossfire scope?

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    Thanks for the response. Huh I may be rethinking a vortex rifle scope purchase. Wouldn't want a scope to fog up inside on a long hunt. Was that the crossfire scope?
    no, it was the viper

cheap products are too expensive! Amen

This is surprising... I don't think I have seen another negative thread on Vortex optics... specifically spotting scopes. The razor looks good to me... but then again, I dont know anyone that owns one.

Nothing negative has been said on this thread specifically about vortex spotting scopes (except for Moose' low light comment which is valid but plages all 60 and 65 mm scopes at 60x) just their rifle scopes which often times share the same name (viper, diamondback, etc.). I have been more than pleased with my spotter from vortex and so has everyone I talked too when researching that purchase. Killer price awesome quality. I can sex goats from 1500 yards relatively reliably, and unless you can age them with a swaro I haven't seen the need for spending 5 or more times more.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    and unless you can age them with a swaro I haven't seen the need for spending 5 or more times more.
    Heck I can't age them in hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Sorry, wrong website, the EagleOptics website is http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-...spotting-scope
    This is actually the non-HD version.

I have always been a Leupold guy and have them on on MY hunting rifles. Since the kiddo's have been growing into THEIR guns I have been putting Vortex scopes on them and have been so please with the results, I will now be putting them on any new rifles I might get for myself. I have even used THEIR rifles on a few hunts and love the scopes. I have been on 10 day rain hunts with zero fog up (have had fog up even on Leupolds over the years) and I reallly like how clear they are. I even went and bought a pair of the bino's (Viper HD) and LOVE them!