Thread: Reference book for Alaskan wild edibles

Default Reference book for Alaskan wild edibles

Can anyone recommend a good reference book for Alaskan wild edibles?

Probably my all time favorite wild plant resource book is Discovering Wild Plants by Janise J. Schofield. However this is not a pocket sized, in the field type book. I like to have a couple books around the cabin and one small enough to fit in the daypack. And a picture or sketch in one book might look different in another in case I am in doubt and need to compare.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Thanks Grandma
    I'll check into that title and I think next time I'm in town I'll also drop by the cooperative extension and see what they have. I grew up on wild edibles in Michigan but I'm still playing catch up with Alaskan plants. BTW the Indian potato flowers are very similar to a plant my family always called "brook trout blossom" don't know it's real name but it grew along very clear cold streams that always seemed to be good Brook trout fishing.

Thumbs up Guide books. . .

Rick,

Look for Alaska's Wild Plants: A Guide To Alaska's Edible Harvest by Janice J. Schonfield, a very nicely-done, pocket-sized, glossy-paged book with excellent color photographs.

If you want to go for mushrooms also, look for Know Alaska's Mushrooms, another small book or booklet, put out by the Cooperative Extension Service, University of Alaska.

A much better, but more expensive, book if you're interested in mushrooming is The Mushroom Hunter's Field Guide by Alexander H. Smith and Nancy Smith Weber. . . can't say enough good about this one.

Morel mushrooms are beginning to fruit this time of year, and if you're not familiar with them or don't know how good they are, check the price for dried morels at your local supermarket.

John Nelson
    Soldotna

I have a whole shelf of wild-edibles books. The best by far is a fairly recent one, "The Forager's Harvest", Samuel Thayer.

Excellent! This is my first time on this particular forum and I was looking for the same information. I assume these books will be fairly easy to find in Anchorage.

Tim

Marcus first thanks, secound of course I know what a morel mushroom is Im a Yooper for gods sake!

I recently got the first book Marcus listed and will be looking for the others. I'm impressed with Alaska's Wild Plants: A Guide To Alaska's Edible Harvest and was surprised to find many of the plants that I pass every day.
    Chris Willhoite