Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk reticles

Default Lets talk reticles

I have always had and done well with, a basic duplex reticle from .22 to the varmint calibers to near and far big game. WOW, there are lots of choices these days. What reticle is your favorite and why for a specific application. Which reticle will be in your next scope and why? We all know a lot is personal preference for a specific task. I think that some of the ranging reticles are exceeding the range limits of the caliber but never used them so can't claim credibility on the matter. I do understand and have studied the various types and am trying to get some pros and cons to make the best decision on my next new scope.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by 450 ktm; 12-15-2013 at 17:18. Reason: typo

I like the 4A. It's simple, accurate, easy to see at all light levels and quick to acquire visually, and provides a means of instantly and pretty accurately estimating range. All my scopes, save for one that hasn't been converted yet, have a 4A reticle.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I played with a few ballistic reticles for a few years, but the more time I spent in the field, the more I realized I'm rarely going to need to shoot beyond 100 yards so I've put a 1.75-6 duplex on my .375 and a 2-7 duplex on my AR for predator hunting. Both were selected for field of view and simplicity of operation (no ballistic reticle).

I kept the ballistic reticle scopes, someday I'd like to play with them on a target gun or two, a guy can dream...

I've tried several of the ballistic reticles but they've always seemed a lot better as an idea than they have in practice. I'd say that they are at best a dull instrument for the task at hand. I simply haven't found a better mousetrap for shooting and hunting than a duplex and can make do with them thin or thick. When shooting LR I have grown accustomed to spinning turrets and will say that they are in every way better than ballistic reticles for the intended purpose.

The lone exception is that a dot reticle (or especially Leupold's dot that incorporates their CPC tapered reticle) is outstanding for moving targets, otherwise give me a duplex.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'm not a fan of the various ranging/ BDC type reticles… just a lot visually happening.

I really like the #4 and #1 German for a hunting rifle but a regular old plex type is fine for most things.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

German #4 for a Leupold 2-7 on my 375 H&H. Draws my eye quickly without blocking the target.

Like the old duplex but the older Bushnell comand post was my favorite for my type of hunting.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    ...the older Bushnell comand post...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've tried several of the ballistic reticles but they've always seemed a lot better as an idea than they have in practice. I'd say that they are at best a dull instrument for the task at hand. I simply haven't found a better mousetrap for shooting and hunting than a duplex and can make do with them thin or thick. When shooting LR I have grown accustomed to spinning turrets and will say that they are in every way better than ballistic reticles for the intended purpose.

The lone exception is that a dot reticle (or especially Leupold's dot that incorporates their CPC tapered reticle) is outstanding for moving targets, otherwise give me a duplex.
    +1. This is spot on! I do allot of predator hunting and I have come to the same conclusions for that style of hunting. The turret systems are better than the ballistic reticles. Most ballistic reticles are calibrated to one specific round at a specific speed. Who's to say that round is accurate in your rifle or if it's making the same speeds out of your barrel. I have started outfitting most of my rifles with a simple Leupold vx1 or vx2. A great inexpensive scope is a vx2 with the CDS system. I personally prefer the fine duplex, but that is all just personal preference. I guess the most important thing is to just feel comfortable with whatever you are using. For me, I own many of both type of scopes and I now feel more comfortable with the turrets.

Have been a Mil-Hash fan for years but changed to a TDRM reticle this year on my hunting and target shooting guns and really like them.

...the older Bushnell comand post was my favorite for my type of hunting.
    Is this the one, Will? Attachment 75743
    #Resist

Yep you found a pic before I could post one. The heavy post can be up or down.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

That is a thick stadia line! Do you ever have a problem with covering you target out at farther ranges?

It is all about personal preference and your style of hunting. I prefer a fixed power with fine stadia lines with dash or dot mil reference with little to no use of turrets. Reason is the more moving parts in the scope, usually results in worn out parts causing not-so accurate results. I have had to have scopes rebuilt in the past from constantly dialing in dope. So now I prefer reference system reticles and hold over/ under and left/right if need be. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Yep you found a pic before I could post one. The heavy post can be up or down.
    That's a good one; kind of a variation on the old tapered post and crosshair, which is also a good one. I also like the original #1. IMHO, it's darn hard to improve on those old school reticles. The original 4A is my favorite tho, because the opening between the heavy crosshairs subtends a known distance, so you can judge range with it. Conversely, if you already know the range, you can use it to measure lengths/sizes. For example, if you laser range a moose at 100 meters, and the width of his headgear matches the width of the opening, you know he's over 50".... I like elegant simplicity, and practicality. No need for whiz-bang bells and whistles.
    Attachment 75748
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    That is a thick stadia line! Do you ever have a problem with covering you target out at farther ranges?

It is all about personal preference and your style of hunting. I prefer a fixed power with fine stadia lines with dash or dot mil reference with little to no use of turrets. Reason is the more moving parts in the scope, usually results in worn out parts causing not-so accurate results. I have had to have scopes rebuilt in the past from constantly dialing in dope. So now I prefer reference system reticles and hold over/ under and left/right if need be. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Replacing worn out parts is part of the cost of shooting. It's tough to use dots/hash marks/stadia lines for consecutive shots at 337 yards, 529 yards and 614 yards on MOA size targets. Not too mention that holding at the crosshair intersection is as simple as it gets.......

I have an old Lyman with that reticle only it is more like a thin slice of pizza, it was on an old pre-64

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Is this the one, Will? Attachment 75743

Thanks for the feedback. I have not been talked out of the basic duplexes I am used to, thankfully, as I also like simplicity. For those turret users do you have problems knocking them around in hunting situations due to bulk and adjustability? Also, do you find them restrictive for a single load and bullet weight in that rifle?

One vote for a Leupold with a "Dot and Tapered Reticle".

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I have not been talked out of the basic duplexes I am used to, thankfully, as I also like simplicity. For those turret users do you have problems knocking them around in hunting situations due to bulk and adjustability? Also, do you find them restrictive for a single load and bullet weight in that rifle?
    My preference is for the heavy duplex. Preferably with an illuminated option.

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    I do not care for load specific turrets, though I've little doubt that they possess some advantages. I've tried a couple different setups, but I haven't found anything better than Leupold's M1 turret for my use. They are sometimes criticized for being obtrusive, but having hunted with them for many miles in all kinds of modes of transport, pucker brush, etc. they stay put and yet are readily accessible when needed. At 1/4 MOA per click the M1 allows enough precision to be useful and enough travel to shoot as far as I need. Unlike load specific system, with M1s I can flip scopes among rifles with only a need to rezero and formulate the dope with that particular load or I can acquire dope for other loads as my desire demands. Its an easy and practical system for LR shooting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast