Thread: another question

Default another question

i am planning on making some lure.
    it consist of fish oil, beaver caster, glycerin, and skunk
    the beaver caster and skunk i can get from frontiers in fairbanks
    the glycerin i can get from sunshine health foods
    my question is about the fish oil. all i have been able to find is the stuff people use a nutritional supplements. im not sure if that is what i should use or not. if not does anyone know where i might find some to use for making my lure. im still new to trapping so any help would be appreciated

thanks
    matt

Try theses guys I order a lot of my supplies from them they are great..http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Tr...Crayfish+Oils/

thanks buckwild but im looking for somewhere in town to make a local purchase if possible. id dont like buying off the internet if i can buy local

thanks
    matt

I've never used it in a lure before, but you can buy small squeeze bottles of Herring Oil that is intended to be used on fishing lures and bait. I'm sure it would work just fine in a marten lure. You could probably find it at a fishing or outdoors store.

The glycerine is not needed and will really only dilute your concoction, your better off with the " herring oil " from a fishing store than the fish oil supplement from a healthfood store. Next year I would suggest you order it all from a trapping supplier as it's easier than trying to gather it all in town especially at local prices....................a little bit of anise would go well in your lure as well............................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

thanks thunder chicken. i will get some herring oil. i use the glycerine to help with freezing. itll still thicken up in the cold but still usable in a jar. i will also at some of the concoction (minus the glycerine) to some liquified petroleum jelly. ill also try some straight without the glycerine. ive been getting a lot of advise on here, trapperman, wild about trapping, and from a couple trappers i know but a lot of the info contradicts other info so im trying everything to see what works for me in my area

thanks
    matt

You can get herring oil by the gallon at Cold Spot Feed.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Vaseline and glycerine will freeze up just the same the only thing that I have found in my years of lure making to not freeze up is beavertail oil which you would have to make yourself as nobody makes it commercially. I used a simple marten lure/ cat lure similar to yours with decent results- 7oz. fish oil 1 oz. ground beaver castor, and pure skunk quill and if it's strictly for marten like I said anise will make it even better, put it in an 8 oz. squirt bottle shake it up and go. For my lures that will freeze I keep them in a fanny pack turned forward and under my parka, works great for keeping your lures from freezing so you can get it out of the jar or squirt bottle. There are much better recipes for marten lure but I keep those to myself But the one above will work, IMO forgo the glycerine and Vaseline but to each there own.........
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................