Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: Another Trespassing Dilemma

  1. #1

  2. #2

    Default

    Well, they did commit steal the turkey, they tampered with evidence. There are few things I find more ugly than miles and miles of posted property signs. It is the "Signs" that I find repulsive, NOT that it is illegal to trespass.

  3. #3
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    i think the law should be changed to say that if you are hunting,trapping,fishing and you are not on public land then you need permission from the landowner. It should be your responsibility as a sportsman to know where your at at all times. there are many resources you can use like maps and gps that will tell you where your at. i know accidents happen and it can be easy to get turned around a little bit but shooting stuff on peoples property that isnt posted is a little ridiculous. the law saying they have to post every inch of their own property to keep pepole out is crazy. thats like saying if you dont have a posted sign on every enterance to your house or garage people can come in since its not posted. i can tell you from expierience that signs dont do anything anyways. my in-laws have land on crooked creek and the kasilof river and people walk right past about 10 posted signs through a bunch of property to go fishing and im not talking about using the high water mark im talking about cutting right past there cabin and through the middle of there property without so much as a hello. trasspassers are going to tresspass no matter what you do.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    So, now it's legal to walk right up somebody's driveway and kill their livestock, because there wasn't a no-trespassing sign on the driveway

    This is out of control! Somebody needs to be dope slapped really really hard!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  5. #5
    Member mekaniks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    206

    Default

    if this had been a buffalo or an elk would it have still been ok? i would be super pissed...

  6. #6

    Default

    This is a very interesting scenario indeed. The other incident that happened the other day with the wildlife trooper was merely a trespassing issue in my opinion. Now we got people going onto other people's property and shooting their pets/livestock etc. It kinda raises the question of defense of life and property and stand your guard laws. I know you are allowed to shoot an intruder who enters your house, but what about someone who comes onto your property and shoots your dog, horse, cattle, etc.? I know I for one wouldn't think twice about shooting back if someone came onto my property and shot my dog. If my dog went onto someone else's property, then that is my fault, but if they came onto my property and fired on my dog, there would be some hell to pay.

  7. #7
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    This is a very interesting scenario indeed. The other incident that happened the other day with the wildlife trooper was merely a trespassing issue in my opinion. Now we got people going onto other people's property and shooting their pets/livestock etc. It kinda raises the question of defense of life and property and stand your guard laws. I know you are allowed to shoot an intruder who enters your house, but what about someone who comes onto your property and shoots your dog, horse, cattle, etc.? I know I for one wouldn't think twice about shooting back if someone came onto my property and shot my dog. If my dog went onto someone else's property, then that is my fault, but if they came onto my property and fired on my dog, there would be some hell to pay.
    +1.
    This is f'ing ridiculous. Can I just walk into your barn, or backyard, or frontyard, shoot a goat, toss it in my trunk and drive away scott free because you didn't have a no-trespassing sign on your driveway?

    ...Is the hallway leading to your daughter's bedroom door posted with no-trespassing signs? And is the door itself posted? Because if the door itself is not posted, then, ya know.... Oh and don't forget to post the windows too. How about the chimney; ya got that covered?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  8. #8

    Default

    Hang em high.

  9. #9

    Default

    YES, The parents.................


    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    So, now it's legal to walk right up somebody's driveway and kill their livestock, because there wasn't a no-trespassing sign on the driveway

    This is out of control! Somebody needs to be dope slapped really really hard!

  10. #10
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    ...Now we got people going onto other people's property and shooting their pets/livestock etc. It kinda raises the question of defense of life and property and stand your guard laws. I know you are allowed to shoot an intruder who enters your house, but what about someone who comes onto your property and shoots your dog, horse, cattle, etc.?...
    Under Alaska statute, defense of human life justifies use of deadly force. Defense of property does not. Pets and livestock would fall under property:

    Sec. 11.81.350. Justification: Use of force in defense of property and premises.

    (a) A person may use nondeadly force upon another when and to the extent the person reasonably believes it is necessary to terminate what the person reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission by the other of an unlawful taking or damaging of property or services.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  11. #11

    Default

    I also see where the land owner is suing the the State Trooper for damages, in the other trapping case.

  12. #12
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I also see where the land owner is suing the the State Trooper for damages, in the other trapping case.
    Good for them! Where are you reading this?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Dang! All these years I could have just walked onto a farm in the MatSu valley and shot a cow, or pig, or reindeer, or elk etc... rather than venture out hunting after moose and caribou, or sheep. Guess I wasn't smart enough to see what I have been missing out on!

    I know where I am going muskox hunting now!

  14. #14
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Dang! All these years I could have just walked onto a farm in the MatSu valley and shot a cow, or pig, or reindeer, or elk etc... rather than venture out hunting after moose and caribou, or sheep. Guess I wasn't smart enough to see what I have been missing out on!

    I know where I am going muskox hunting now!
    livestock i believe would be considered personal property but this guy whose turkey got shot (this whole scenario is crazy anyways) i guess couldnt keep it in the yard. there are jsut too many loopholes and gray areas for me. technically if a cow wandered off someones property and into the mountains and onto public land they are not defined as game under the regs and now you could shoot one? this topic is strange for sure. frankly this thing boils down to a little simple respect of peoples property and things...like pet turkeys. i dont know what these kids were thinking anyways they had to assume someone was raising these as turkeys arent native to alaska...i dont see why it should have been open season on them though.

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    livestock i believe would be considered personal property but this guy whose turkey got shot (this whole scenario is crazy anyways) i guess couldnt keep it in the yard. there are jsut too many loopholes and gray areas for me. technically if a cow wandered off someones property and into the mountains and onto public land they are not defined as game under the regs and now you could shoot one? this topic is strange for sure. frankly this thing boils down to a little simple respect of peoples property and things...like pet turkeys. i dont know what these kids were thinking anyways they had to assume someone was raising these as turkeys arent native to alaska...i dont see why it should have been open season on them though.
    Ummmm...errr... I thought it rather obvious I was being facetious.

  16. #16
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    frankly this thing boils down to a little simple respect of peoples property and things...like pet turkeys. i dont know what these kids were thinking anyways they had to assume someone was raising these as turkeys arent native to alaska...i dont see why it should have been open season on them though.
    In the article the guy is laughing about his turkey chasing cars down the road..... "You'd see these people go, 'What the heck?' A turkey is biting at their tires. He'd be so proud when they drove off like he ran them off."
    half-feral poultry like turkeys, geese and roosters can be pretty aggressive...chasing cars, kids, etc....would it still be as cute and innocent if it was a german shepherd instead?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    How about some initiative from hunters against this sort of thing? Not sure what it could consist of, but if we don't take the initiative on this recent rash of stupid trespassing, someone will, and that someone might be an anti hunting group. That would not be good.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    I wonder if anyone bothers to read either the Hunting or Trapping regulations? I just did a quick check and on the first page of the trapping regulations it states: It is your responsibility to check with the land owner before you trap. In the hunting regulation it states in part: Use of private lands with out the land owners permission........is trespassing.
    In my mind both of these statements in the regulations seem pretty clear and the Troopers/Wildlife agents and the ones that shot the turkey are in the wrong. Too bad the Trooper/Wildlife personnel are not held to the same level of responsibility and the average person.

  19. #19
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    ...Too bad the Trooper/Wildlife personnel are not held to the same level of responsibility and the average person.
    Well, apparently they are. Compare the two:

    The OP story in this thread is about a group of teenagers who trespass on a guys occupied/developed private property; are confronted by a neighbor; lie to said neighbor about their reason for trespassing; get run off by the neighbor; return to trespass again a short time later to kill the owners livestock just off the owners driveway; the owner/occupant confronts the trespassers with the owners livestock in their vehicle trunk and calls 911. The Troopers say no law was broken because the driveway wasn't posted (even though the road leading to the driveway WAS posted; the trespassers KNEW the property was private, and they did NOT have permission to be there).

    In the other case, a Trooper/trapper scopes out a known private developed/occupied property with the intention of trapping on it, and gains access to the property from the rear; the tenant/occupant removes the traps and files a complaint; the Troopers say no law was broken because the point of entry was not posted (even though the the point of entry was NOT a legitimate access point to the property and the road access at the front of the property WAS posted; the trespasser KNEW the property was private, and they did NOT have permission to trap there).

    Sounds like the Troopers are treating everyone pretty much the same. Sounds like their understanding of Alaska Statute is suffering due to a serious case of rectal-cranial-inversion syndrome too.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  20. #20

    Default

    http://www.adn.com/2013/12/14/323165...ith-traps.html

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Good for them! Where are you reading this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •