Thread: Umialik Policy Holders be Aware !

Default Umialik Policy Holders be Aware !

I recently received a email from the policy broker regarding our cabin insurance, that Umialik Insurance will not be renewing our policy because the ONLY source of heat is a wood stove. I sent an email to Umialik asking for an explanation and have not heard anything back, some customer service. My gut feeling is that we will receive no notice until our policy expires in the spring as Umialik seems to be tight lipped on the matter. Since there is a good percentage of cabins in Alaska that only have wood heat, I would assume that they are not insured or this will become a topic of concern for others, if Umialik is not pulling my leg. I was offered by the broker "specialty" insurance, at much higher rate. I have not explored this option yet.
    Has anyone heard of this, any suggestions on where to go for insurance?

We have our cabin insured with State Farm but they also have our house insurance. Nothing has ever been mention about wood heat.

When I got my Umialik cabin policy last year, the broker was very clear with me that I needed more than just wood heat. I said I had a propane heater as well. She shrugged her shoulders, and said "ok".

Maybe just get a propane or kerosene heater and call it good?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd pick up a used Kero-Sun for a few bux and tell them it now has kerosene heat as well. Doesn't matter if you never buy any fuel. Just keep a gallon in it with a good wick in case somebody comes checking in the event of a claim. Maybe burn it for a couple hours once in awhile to keep it good. In any event, it probably can't hurt to have a back-up heater around, espescially if you get to keep your current rate with the insurance company.

When I got my Umialik policy for my house over ten years ago it was stipulated that I could have NO wood stove at all. Since the policy is about 30% cheaper than anything else I could get, I have stuck with them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Most building codes required a positive source of heat like a boiler, furnace that would maintain I believe 68 degrees 4 ft off the floor. I understand that would not be possible on remote properties. This maybe what they are referencing to decide either way on your insurance. The cheapest route to go would be install a small DV gas stove that vents out the wall and does not require electric. That would then be your primary heat source and the wood your secondary as far as the insurance company is concerned.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Umialik has never complained about my wood fireplace insert...

only thing has been a few trees behind the house.. they raised the rates becuase the trees were "too close to the habitation"
    I could have cut them down, but I like the shade in the summer
    and I'm stubbormn

Chris

Can anyone recommend an agent in the valley for this insurance carrier?
    Thanks,
    BK

I recently just purchased a home and used Denali Alaskan Insurance Company. They are a middle man to the insurance company just like 80% of them out there... My original quote was with Umialik, but since my home was built in 1958 they wanted proof of updated roof, heating, etc... I eventually ended up going with Safeco insurance, they are easy to deal with (no headaches compared to Umialik) and actually had higher coverage limits for a lower price. At the least give Denali Alaskan a call, they will do the searching for you.