Thread: Hole in tank

Default Hole in tank

I have a 92 Honda 4Trax 300 4x4. It has been a real workhorse. I somehow got a hole in the tank (about the size of a BB) underneath on the left side. A new tank is $500 (yes it is metal). Any ideas on how to fix it! I have some stuff I got to 'plug' the hole but I was wondering if that stuff worked good or if I should clean it out and try to get someone to weld or what? ANy ideas would be great!
    Thanks!
    Carl

I've used bondo more then once.

For a gas tank hole that small, I would use J-B Weld (original) not the quick drying kind that also have out.

Because of all the bouncing around I would weld or braze it. If you do it yourself be very,very careful.

Default JB Weld and Kreem?

Use some JB Weld and then maybe a treatment of Kreem for the inside. I think you could put some washers inside with a lil water and shake the hell out of it to get all the rust and scale broken off and then rinse out the tank. Then you use the Kreem to basically reinforce the inside of the tank and seal up all the weak areas and pinholes.

Good Luck, schmidty

Thanks guys for the input. I appreciate it! I will take these into consideration. I have a buddy that works at Greer Tank & Welding. I will see what he says and then probably go with the JB weld and/or bondo!

You might also consider Marine Tex, I've used it to fix a couple tanks before.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by chsr17 View Post
    I have a 92 Honda 4Trax 300 4x4. It has been a real workhorse. I somehow got a hole in the tank (about the size of a BB) underneath on the left side. A new tank is $500 (yes it is metal). Any ideas on how to fix it! I have some stuff I got to 'plug' the hole but I was wondering if that stuff worked good or if I should clean it out and try to get someone to weld or what? ANy ideas would be great!
    Thanks!
    Carl
    For about 1/3rd of what you quoted you can get a plastic replacement tank from ATV suppliers on the internet. You probably have a rusted seam. Once it starts you can count on it happening again. A plastic tank will last forever.

Have you turned the machine over and drained the tank? I bet you've got a bunch of rusty scale and water in there. Once you get the crud out it'll probably leak even worse. Mine did.

Check this out. 10 seconds on Google.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem

Default Bid Away!!!

WOW! chsr17, I would jump all over this if I were you. Its roughly 20 bucks to ship to wasilla, so at less than 50 bucks (as the auction sits now), you'd have a new tank. Probably less than having someone weld it! Nice going Mr. Pid.