Thread: Tanana River setline report/ spearing question

Default Tanana River setline report/ spearing question

Put out my setlines tonight, about 12 inches of ice on the river. We'll see how I did in the morning.

Question on spearing. Grew up spearing pike over suckers or decoys back in Minnesota. Is there anyone who has set up a darkhouse on the Tanana or Yukon and speared pike with any luck? I've always done it on lakes, never a river. Wondering if there were any issues with decoy presentations in moving water. I'm sure suckers are out of the question up here, not sure if its legal but I don't think there would be anywhere to get them. Thanks!

Suckers or any live bait is not allowed.
    I haven't speared on any AK rivers but have done OK spearing pike on some local lakes.
    I prefer wooden decoys versus the cheap plastic ones. I have had the plastic ones that were hollow and filled with water to sink. They tend to freeze and crack if you don't get all the water out each time.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Just curious, but has live bait always been illegal to use up here? I've never been to a state as strict with live bait as Alaska. I understand the thought behind it, just never seen it anywhere else down in the midwest.

No fish round one, going to check the lines again tonight see if we got any takers. Didnt see anyone else setlining in the area, wonder if they havent moved into the area. We'll see what happens tonight. Might pull the setlines and move them somewhere else.

I have a question for fellow setliners. Do you keep your bait on the bottom or a couple of inches off of the bottom? And I've been in about 10-12 ft of water, only one of the sets seemed to be in much current at all. Do you tend to keep your sets in shallower water than that?

I did pretty well last year, just surprised I had no takers on seven sets.

Thanks.

Cool

You cant use live fish as bait dead fish fine......! mud eels best bait by far for burbot ,,then whitefish,....

I'm not sure about other drainages but in the Tanana drainage burbot set lines need to be on the bottom.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefisher View Post
    You cant use live fish as bait dead fish fine......! mud eels best bait by far for burbot ,,then whitefish,....
    What are mud eels? Are they the same thing as lamprey eels? Where do you get them?

Yes ..Young lamprey live in lower river black mud slow moveing water look for small holes in back edeys ,,then digg em frezze em... they migrate out to ocean in the spring burbot and pike gorge on them right after the ice goes out..this is the best time to fish for burbot ,, in winter whitefish best Big bait pulls in big fish..

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefisher View Post
    Yes ..Young lamprey live in lower river black mud slow moveing water look for small holes in back edeys ,,then digg em frezze em... they migrate out to ocean in the spring burbot and pike gorge on them right after the ice goes out..this is the best time to fish for burbot ,, in winter whitefish best Big bait pulls in big fish..
    Thanks for the reply. Rep point sent your way.