Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another gun show thread

Default Another gun show thread

I took my son to his first gun show today. (I'm in FL visiting and we went to a show in Ft. Meyers-a suncoast gun shows show-usually theirs are the bigger and better of the shows. This was at a county fairgrounds in a building about the size of where the aces play. Little smaller.) What a let down. Prices on everything were spiked sky high-full price plus. I found a box of 32-20 priced at $50. (Same price as SW in ANC). I asked what's your best price on this and the guy got pissy, pointed his finger at me and said "It's that PLUS TAX." I said "much obliged" and moved on. (I later found another box priced at $65) gun powder ranged from 24-30 per lb w 8 lb cans at $180. No one would negotiate on anything. (Well one guy came down $50 on a 1949 Model 94 that was waaaay beat up, but that's it.) I saw a 50 rd box of 22lr that I just bought at a store in Tampa for $4 marked at $10 at the gun show.

One thing that really stuck out to me was that there was almost nothing hunting/sporting related; almost everything was assault weapon or semi automatic handgun. I saw very few revolvers. In the whole I building I saw one box of 243 (at $30 for the yellow box core lot) and 3 boxes of 30-30 also at $30). However EVERYBODY had tons and tons of 223 762x39 9 and 40 ammo. (Didn't even see much 357 or 44 ammo) I'm really starting to feel like hunting sports and hunters are a rare and dying breed and the future of shooting sports is in taking life or defending life. My son picked up a Henry 22 and the guy tried to switch us to an AR15.

The bright spot was I took many opportunities to teach Crighton about the value of a dollar and to just not buy something if it is priced too high. You don't HAVE to have it. We didn't spend a dime and that was our last gun show.

Not all gun shows are created equal. For instance: there is a great little gun show in Sterling, in July at the Sterling Senior CenterSaturday and Sunday, 10:00am 4:00pm, $5 Adults, children (12 and under) are free. You will find a lot of older type guns such as we like there. After the show, you can go fish!

At the gun show a week or so ago, a lot of folks were trying to sell stuff used for more than new and that is available in many of the local stores. I don't go to the shows to find the normal stuff. I did find 21 444Marlin cases for $5 that I use for 410 cases and a scope mount for my Ruger 41BH for $15. So with entry of $5, I spent $25 for about $40 worth of stuff I wanted. Not a bargin but fair prices so I'm good.

When is the Wasilla gun show? Isn't it usually in January at the high school? That show usually has a bunch of good stuff. Savage 99s, lots of older stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    When is the Wasilla gun show? Isn't it usually in January at the high school? That show usually has a bunch of good stuff. Savage 99s, lots of older stuff.
    Yep, I think that's one of the better shows.

Wasilla High School Hockey Booster Club Gun & Outdoor Show (website)
    January 25-26, 2014
    Wasilla High School Wasilla
    Saturday 10:00am 5:00pm
    Sunday 10:00am 5:00pm
    Price: $5 all ages
    "Grin and Bear It"

All I can say is PRAY that there is NOT another mentally disturbed person committing mass murder in America with a firearm, or another terrorist attack. Prices could easily double from where they currently are. Or the worse of all is no ammo available at any price.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    All I can say is PRAY that there is NOT another mentally disturbed person committing mass murder in America with a firearm, or another terrorist attack. Prices could easily double from where they currently are. Or the worse of all is no ammo available at any price.
    Except of course for the wonderful people selling ammo and firearms at ridiculous prices on internet websites and gun shows. If it weren't for these saviors of our shooting sports, What in the world would we do???

You know, I completely agree with you, but we KNOW it's going to happen. I wonder if perhaps you've stumbled on to the reason why the panic buying hasn't subsided, even long after every single gun control attempt has failed, and our president is on his way out.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I wonder if perhaps you've stumbled on to the reason why the panic buying hasn't subsided...
    Because:
    Attachment 75725
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You know, I completely agree with you, but we KNOW it's going to happen. I wonder if perhaps you've stumbled on to the reason why the panic buying hasn't subsided, even long after every single gun control attempt has failed, and our president is on his way out.
    This president has three years left in his term; three years in which any number of crises could happen. The American people have shown time and again that they are willing to follow about anybody, with very little question, when a crisis comes around. Don't let those abysmal poll numbers fool you! Americans have short political memories and are impulsive. They can also be compliant to stupidity... until they realize, after the fact, that they have been had.
    Having said that, I agree; I really detest scalpers and hoarders who ruin prices and supplies for the average guy.

In the last one year I have sold only two bricks of .22LR, and I allowed the buyers to set the price, They are members of this forum, and I think they paid $37.50 for each brick. They begged for the ammo so that their children could shoot.

I have no interest in selling any ammo for which I also own a firearm it can be discharged in.

I am 67 y/o and want to sell off a lot of firearms, when all the firearms of that cartridge are sold, then I will offer the ammo for which I have no firearm to use it in.

I think that anyone shooting any ammo for kicks and giggles plinking will soon lament having done so in the very near future. We are guaranteed the RIGHT to bare arms, we are NOT guaranteed the right to have ammo at any price, and darn sure not for last years price.

You can buy a complete AR-15 for around $700.00 and when the next wacko murders a bunch of people, I'll bet people on this very forum will be crying that they could have (But did NOT) buy them at the end of 2013.

I do not think there will ever, ever, EVER again be an abundance of ammo available. Fourteen months ago Walmart had large quanties of Federal 62 gr. green tip for $149.99 for a ammo can of 420 rounds. The last time I was in town for supplies Walmart had the exact same cans for $279.99 and I expect to see it at $319.99 by next summer.

The Federal Reserve has been pumping "EIGHTY-FIVE BILLION" dollars a MONTH into the economy to attempt to stave off to the depression that started in 2008.

So I am NOT a gouger, as I have no ammo for sale & have only sold two bricks in the last 24 months. The original post stated that there was almost all offensive & defensive firearms at that gunshow in Florida. Does NOT surprise me in the least. People all over America & the World know in their gut that we are on the cusp of some large event, which is as yet unknown. Something is going to happen, and when it happens sad be those without abundant Food, Water, and a method of Defense.

I just started reading "Savage Continent" by: Keith Lowe. It is NON-fiction, well researched account of the truth of the horror that was experienced by those living in Europe after WWII ended in 1945 and on into the "MID" 1950's.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

"In the introduction to his book, Keith Lowe writes that the story of Europe in the immediate period following WW2 " is not primarily one of reconstruction and rehabilitation-it is firstly one of descent into anarchy". Such a history has never been written before.
    This book,which comes to fill in this void, has four main parts and its main theme is that of vengeance. Its other themes are those of displacement, famines, moral destruction, rape and civil wars.

In other words, after WW2 there was an atmosphere of chaos and violence almost everywhere and people decided to take the law into their hands. It was also the time to settle old scores. Yogoslav partisans decided to cut off the noses of their opponents, while Sudeten Germans were butchered in Czechoslovakia. Dutch and Belgian collaborators were summarily executed and their houses were set on fire, while in Italy the bodies of Fascists were displayed in the streets where they could be spat at by passers-by. In Hungary, members of the far-right Arrow Cross were forced to exume mass Jewish graves in very hot weather while local people threw sticks and stones at them. In France, clandestine prisons were set up where suspected collaborators were subjected to multiple forms of sadism including mutilation, rape, enforced prostitution and every type of torture imaginable
    This book is also about the history of ethnic cleansing and inter-communal and political violence. Poland harnessed the wartime hatred for Ukrainians to launch a program of expulsion and forced assimilation. Slovaks, Hungarians and Romanians embarked on a series of population exchange.
    Take, for example, Berlin. It was there where Hannelore Thiele was raped by seven in a row, "like animals". Anothee woman was raped by Russian soldiers-twenty-three of them, therefore she had to be " stitched up in a hospital. I never want to have anything to do with any man again".

Some Lithuanian partisans who fought against the Russians and against Communism were hunted down by the KGB even in the seventies. One of them, Juozas Luksa, was betrayed by someone he thought he was his friend and by 1956, the last of the partisan groups in Lithuania was finally destroyed. For years hundreds of thousands of nationalist partisans "fought a doomed war against the Soviet occupiers in the forlorn hope that the West would eventually come to their aid".
    Lowe also describes in great detail the civil wars which tore Europe apart from the Baltic to the Mediterranean. He emphasizes that Europe as we know it today emerged out of a complete and total chaos and reminds his readers not to forget this fact.

If one can speak of ruthlessness and the pursuit of power while destroying any civil rights, Romania can serve as a very good example, and in one of the best chapters of the book, Lowe shows how the Communists seized absolute power there by suppressing free speech and by a process of collectivization of farms introduced by the Petru Groza government. The Stalinization of the whole country manifested itself in the suppression of churches. The authorities placed bans on baptisms, church weddings and public celebration of Christmas. The mighty shadow of the Soviet Union was everywhere in Eastern Europe.

The book is extremely original in its contents and views about the re-emergence of Europe-a continent which knew so many dark days. Lowe has conducted a meticulous and scrupulous research, incorporating primary sources and interviews in eight languages-a tremendous task in itself. This chilling and outstanding book should be read by anyone who is interested in contemporary history and especially in the origins of postwar Europe and the beginnings of the Cold War. Highly recommended!"

Unless he declares 'Martial Law' then he could remain our president for an undetermined amount of time...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Sounds like a fascinating book AGL. I hope you don't think I was referring to you when I mentioned scalpers. A person can sell his firearms for whatever he wants. I was referring to the parking lot lizards who storm SWH or Wallmart to grab all the ammo so they can resell it at exorbitant prices. Those people are bottom feeders.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ...the parking lot lizards who storm SWH or Wallmart to grab all the ammo so they can resell it at exorbitant prices. Those people are bottom feeders.
    ...Struth.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Well, we in America for us this is our first real nation wide experience with a "Black Market". But it has been over a year now, and I think at some point people have to accept that this really is how it is today and for more than a year. This is the current reality today. The bottom line is they are finding a market. People can hope the price goes down, but they are holding dollars hoping the price returns to 18 months ago prices. Others are simply trading their dollars for ammo.

You'all can call them what ever you want to call them, gouger, low life's, scum-bags. But when, not if the next mass murdering takes place many will wish they had paid $75.00 a brick. And the nightmare of all nightmares is no ammo available at all.......at any price.

Well, not really. We've had "black markets" for as long as we've been a society, especially a capitalistic society. Sure, the scalpers are bottom feeders, but their bottom niche wouldn't exist without demand and a willingness to pay. In large part, it's the nut job doomsday hoarders who've created the artificial shortage and thus the bottom feeder niche black market.

My .22 supply, for example, consists of only a few bricks, total. It's more than enough, and most all of it was purchased 15-20 years ago. For the most part, life is what you make it. Generally, there's no cause for panic. And if the **** does ever hit the fan, those prone to panic, or excessive bravado or aggression, will be the first to fall, regardless of the amount of ammo they've hoarded, or how cool their black plastic guns are.

Wasn't this thread about a gun show
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga;

Wasn't this thread about a gun show
    we seem to always go back to "scalpers" when talking about gun shows because they have ruined gun shows. In this case the thread was started as a discussion of how a) it is not just a local AK thing, b) how it seems to have spread to everything and everyone at a gunshow and c) how self defense seems to be the ONLY thing going on at gun shows.

There were two things I forgot to mention in my original post.

I saw lots of GI 50 cal ammo cans, like what is seen at that second chance store on Spenard in Anchorage for $9 but were priced at $20 at this gunshow inFt. Meyers. I also looked at a Schrade knife, a folder with gut hook that the guy was asking $40 for. I liked the knife somewhat, not exactly what I wanted but close, but Ididn't really have a clue as to what the price should have been. Given that everything else at the show seemed to be overpriced, I skipped it. I later saw that same knife on Amazon.com for $18.

I used to teach Economics, and I've worked quite a bit of retail, so I understand the forces at work, but when I see items "marked up" 300%, it really upsets me because it's abusive and usury. (Especially when you consider there should be no panic on pocket knives as there has been no effort to ban high capacity pocket knives with more than two blades.) Same goes for ammo cans. There has to be a zillion of those out there. How does an ammo can demand a $20 price tag?

but in the end, what bothered me the most was complete lack of sporting hunting stuff and the total domination of assault weapon semi auto handgun stuff.

The ammo can demand is driven by Caching, both recreational Geo Caching & more and more people caching survival supplies (Including handguns with ammo). I much prefer the 120MM ammo cans. IMG_0198.jpg

What is ..........."IS". The evidence is everywhere. Being in denial about how it is, and wanting it to be the way it was does NOT solve the problem. It is "Exactly" like being told "You have Cancer" or being lost in the wilderness, or your mate confessing that they were unfaithful. The first reaction is total denial, the second it stuck in wanting it to be the way it WAS. The only way forward is to accept what how it really "IS" and move forward.

Look at it the way it really "IS". Those paying $ 55.00 to $80.00 a brick have accepted what is and are moving on with their life. The Scalpers, Scumbags, Gougers have accepted what really is the current reality and have moved on to capitalizing on the current "What is". Both of those types have accepted what is and adapted to it. The only people still crying are those who are hoping it will be like it was, and refuse to accept how it really is today.

Want gunshow to be full of underpriced collectors and hunters gear is......it you tell yourself the truth how it once was, but how it is. The country has moved on from pre-64' Winchesters to black guns. The Gunshows will never....never....Never...be the way they were. Accept it and adapt to the direction the country is moving, accept it and move on. You do NOT have to like it....but at some point you must accept the current reality.

Ask yourself this one question.......which do you think is most likely to happen in the next 12 months....Another mass murder or that the shelves will be heavy with abundant ammo of ALL cartridges at 2012 prices.........???

I know my answer.

Ask yourself this one question.......which do you think is most likely to happen in the next 12 months....Another mass murder or that the shelves will be heavy with abundant ammo of ALL cartridges at 2012 prices.........???

I know my answer.
    Excessive focus on "what is most likely to happen next", feeds, for many people, an unhealthy and obsessive perspective and reaction to life. Those who live in constant fear that sometime in the next twelve months something bad will happen which will drive prices up, and react to that fear by hoarding ammo "before the price goes up", are the ones who are responsible for driving the prices up. You're creating your own self fulfilling fantasy based prophesy. The school shooter didn't drive the prices up, nor was it the result of some subversive conspiracy; the fear mongers who buy as much ammo as they can, whenever they can, "before the prices go up", and constantly advocate everyone else do the same, are the primary influencing factor driving the prices up.

"Knowing your answer" is a fine thing; it's good to be secure in your perspective and have your own plan. But needing to justify your perspective (i.e. something bad is coming; prices will go up) by trying to convince others to share your perspective and react similarly (buy, buy, buy, before the prices go up!!!!), is the very definition of inciting panic. In the absence of any preexisting crisis, panic creates it's own.
    #Resist

A FORUM is where people state their opinion or theories. I post here only to help my fellow Alaskans, everyone is totally free to embrace my theory or reject my theories. I one hundred percent practice what I advocate. You have NEVER ever heard me crying that others are to blame for the current ammo problem.

I take full responsibility for my own needs and plan for the most likely future that I envision. To blame me, or to fail to accept personal responsibility for ones current ammo needs is fruitless at best.

You'all were saying this ammo shortage would be totally over in two or three months.........Yes, that was roughly a YEAR ago. The bottomline is the gougers and those who feed them are not the ones placing blame outside of themselves.

It will be interesting to see if we are still having this conversation in December 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Excessive focus on "what is most likely to happen next", feeds, for many people, an unhealthy and obsessive perspective and reaction to life. Those who live in constant fear that sometime in the next twelve months something bad will happen which will drive prices up, and react to that fear by hoarding ammo "before the price goes up", are the ones who are responsible for driving the prices up. You're creating your own self fulfilling fantasy based prophesy. The school shooter didn't drive the prices up, nor was it the result of some subversive conspiracy; the fear mongers who buy as much ammo as they can, whenever they can, "before the prices go up", and constantly advocate everyone else do the same, are the primary influencing factor driving the prices up.

"Knowing your answer" is a fine thing; it's good to be secure in your perspective and have your own plan. But needing to justify your perspective (i.e. something bad is coming; prices will go up) by trying to convince others to share your perspective and react similarly (buy, buy, buy, before the prices go up!!!!), is the very definition of inciting panic. In the absence of any preexisting crisis, panic creates it's own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast