Thread: cracked stock fix and hand checkering

Default cracked stock fix and hand checkering

I have a savage 24 with two small cracks at the wrist, one on either side. what is the best way to fix this (or should I)? the cracks have been there for a long long time with no growth.

I am placing a new laminated stock on my Ruger Hawkeye and am interested in having it checkered. Is there anyone the valley or anchorage that can do that (that is good)? if so, what would it cost?

thanks for the help

Yes the stock can be repaired. Remove the stock. If the cracks will close tight for you (if they wonít close you need to get them to) gently wedge it open and use ether bedding epoxy or Gorilla Glue (It foams and I like it better) and work it in there. Use sheet of paper, compressed air, syringe or what ever to get in as deep as you can. Clamp by hand and wipe off the squish out then wrap surgical tube or rubber bands to hold.

It likely cracked because it was fit a bit too tight so youíll need to give it a little breathing room before putting back on. The round tangs act like a splitting wedge, think of the stock bolt is a hydraulic ram and you have a log splitter there. So be sure the point of the tang contacts harder than the sides of the radius to reduce wedging the stock open.

I know guys in the valley that checker very well but they are all too slow at it to charge. One told me today he had 300 hours in a single job, at minimum wedge that would be like two grand. If you are getting a Boydís stock they do not too bad lazar checkering on them.

BTW Boydís has stocks for the Savage 24 too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks Andy. Would it be worth fixing the cracks or let them as they are (probably about 1/2" long on either side)? Would it affect the value either way, not that its a valuable firearm, but the 24's seem to be better than the new 42 in my opinion and more desireable. Is this something you would be willing to fix?

Sounds like the checkering is out of the question and not worth the money for this stock.

If you donít fix them they will grow at some rate. The hit to value is there ether way but itís always easer to sell a repaired gun than one that needs repair so Iíd think it should be worth the cost of repair. Yea itís something I do, I try to avoid woodwork but do repairs and inlet type stuff.

Now the million dollar question is would it be better to just replace it? The repair would be about $50. A new finished Boydís stock is $65 + shipping, it should just about bolt on but will need some minor fitting. Now (funny how one thing always leads to another) the new stock likely wonít match the forend, thatís $36 and shipping. So itís a pick your poison type deal, the best return on investment I think is repair but if itís a keeper gun new may be worth doing.

Hand checkering is a bit of a dyeing art and isnít cheap but it can be affordable just I donít know of anyone up here doing it for pay. The lazar checkering from Boydís is a $35 add on and I think well worth it, itís not hand checker but not bad at all, not all mashed like roll checker. There are places that will lazar your existing stock but I donít know what they charge. May even be someone up here (maybe Boveyís trophy), the machines are getting pretty reasonable.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't foresee me getting rid of guns so I'll look into the Boyd,s option. Thanks again for the insight.