Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help pick out my first 9 mm... Target/plinker

Default Help pick out my first 9 mm... Target/plinker

Long story short, I got 600-700 rounds of 9mm ammo, 2000+ once fired cases (thanks to Traveler), several pounds of Longshot powder, 1000 projectiles, and a Beretta 9mm my wife rarely shoots. Seems I overdid the 9mm reloading effort given the volume my wife shoots. Also seems that 13 month old boys take up lots of time. Ha ha.

So, I need a 9 mm. Problem being, I have never shot one. Never researched or explored the idea. Not sure why given the popularity of this caliber. I tend to swim upriver at times and have 50 bmg, two 10 mm's, 45-70 lever actions, 500 S&W, and 300 wby. All of which have specific purposes of course, but are costly to shoot. I have five 40's, three Glocks, a Sig, and an FN. No idea what 9mm to get. Partial to Glocks, but open to any and all suggestions of course.

My goal for this gun is to justify some high volume reloading on my newly mounted Dillon 550B. Will crank out affordable ammo and would be great to shoot on a very regular basis in part due to having said affordable ammo for the first time. For this 9mm, I am wanting accuracy above all else. And reliability of course shooting less than full power loads, likely in the 115 gr.

Self defense and carry are not a priority. Want to go to range and have an accurate plinker for all practical purposes. A laser might be fun. Steel plates, some paper hole punching, shooting 200 rounds at a time, that sort of thing.

Never really messed with lasers much but would be interested to hear of any quality laser options assuming it is bright enough to use during day time target shooting. Any input on Lasermax would be most appreciated. Especially curious about how well you can see it with daylight shooting.

Thanks for any ideas.

Dan

I use a G-24C plus a 9MM Lone Wolf barrel. Glock NOW allows all "First Responders" to buy their entire line at Discount. If they still offer the G-34......Be sure to order it with adjustable sights, I see the Cop Shops are inclined to order them for stock with fixed sights.

I carry the G-35 but practice with the G-24C with the Lone Wolf 9MM Barrel.

i am partial to the springfield emp 1911 style 9mm

Sig 229 . . . . . .
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    ...So, I need a 9 mm.... Partial to Glocks...
    Asked and answered.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

A Glock-17c(compensated) IS fairly accurate (adjustable sights help) and flawlessly reliable; the 17 is offered both compensated or standard. The new Gen-4 allows you to adjust the grip to your hands. The 17 round mag allows for more shooting and less reloading. There ARE more accurate 9mm handguns but none will be more reliable. The Fobus line of holsters are very light and work well with the Glocks.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Glock 17 and try to wear it out.

I've been really partial to the Glock 17 over the years. Shot a Gen 1 for thousands and thousands of rounds in IDPA…shot a Gen 2 even more.

Tough as nails pistols.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

FNP 9
    Ruger SR9

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Glock 17 and try to wear it out.
    Many 9mm handguns are available. NONE have the parts and add-ons available (either factory or aftermarket) that are available for the Glock line of pistols except maybe the 1911 style of pistols. Many firearm manufacturers require that you return the gun to the company for repair.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

I'll be the odd man out here and suggest the only 9mm I've really ever latched onto and loved. The Browning P35 High Power. High capacity, all steel, generally good accuracy, trigger can be worked to darn near as nice as any 1911 and they fit me and all but one of my friends' hands like a glove. Some refurbished examples can be had on GB for very reasonable prices, if you shop around a little you can find the adjustable sighted models fairly easily. Only other 9 that ever turned my crank is the Sig210, and they are mucho $$$

If you want something interesting to shoot, find a used Beretta Cougar (8000 series) in 9mm. Not the Stoegers. The original Berettas are very well made pieces of machinery. The PX-4 Storms are rougher versions of it. Well, I just checked Gunbroker and see that the Stoegers have what the Berettas needed - a light/laser rail. I haven't seen one in years, they may be smoother than the ones I remember.

I have the 8045 Cougar and it is a very smooth recoiling .45. Biggest problem with them is the magazines don't have the great geometry that Glock has so they aren't super high capacity.

Another great gun to shoot/plink is any of the Beretta 92 series. They are huge **** pistols, but great shooters. Mine never jammed and had a very smooth trigger. The two downsides to them are size and the length of the trigger pull in the DA first pull.

Thanks guys.

Last night I had ran across the Sig 210. Wish I hadn't. Holy cow. Can't afford it, but how sweet it is. $2000-3500 online (if you find it). I love my Sig 229 Equinox. It is the nicest handgun I own, well, along with my Colt Delta Elite 10 mm. I would love an excuse to buy another Sig, but it will be the $800-1000 variety. Any particular model come to mind for targets, accuracy, and 9mm? I am not overly familiar with their 400 models.

The Beretta 92 had some mixed opinion it seems. I read up on it and the sampling I found online suggested they were not very accurate, and were very difficult to accurize. Seems lots of beretta hating came when the military went with a foreign company to replace the battle proven .45. I get that part of course, but also have to wonder if it, rather than the pistols performance, serves as a catalyst for so much online bashing. At any rate, Beretta seems to have more than its fair share of critics. The price is right though. Saw one at my LGS yesterday for under $600.

Picking up a Glock 17 or 34 would be easy enough. However, easy can be boring. Might add a little variety to the gun safe. I am not sure I want a glock trigger on this target pistol. A fulcrum trigger would largely fix that, but with the $200 for the trigger and $500 for the G34 or G17, I am getting near the price range for a Sig. However, I am impressed with all my Glocks but one (4th gen 23), and never had a single issue with any of them. That makes it easy to consider a Glock, however 'boring' it may be.

Thanks for the insights as always guys.

Dan

The Beretta 92 had some mixed opinion it seems. I read up on it and the sampling I found online suggested they were not very accurate, and were very difficult to accurize.
    Dan
    Neither of the Beretta 92s I've had were particularly accurate…not horrible but not up to par with others I've had. I'm not up on newer Sig products but I did have a 226 that shot fantastic and a 225 that was one of the most accurate autos I've ever owned.

The Kid is also correct in pointing out the P35 aka Hi Power…not nearly as popular as the Glock these days but a really nice shooter never the less. For pure target type use any of the older (heavy) S&W 5906s with adjustable sights wouldn't be bad either, but they are getting harder to find for low $$$ these days.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Way not just keep it simple with a Glock 19 you can run literary 1000's of rounds without any problems and if you want a high cap mag pick up some Glock 17 mags up.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I find the Glock trigger less than desirable. On a target gun, I am figuring it may bother me more. Cost $200 to put a Fulcrum trigger in it. Has me considering all options, even though I am fond of Glocks generally speaking. Taking wife and Sig 229 to range now.

In the sig lineup, any particular 9 mm model you guys might recommend?

I find the Glock trigger less than desirable. On a target gun, I am figuring it may bother me more. Cost $200 to put a Fulcrum trigger in it. Has me considering all options, even though I am fond of Glocks generally speaking. Taking wife and Sig 229 to range now.

While not a Sig, an accurate 9mm that is the often overlooked are the EAA witness "TARGET" models. Built on the CZ-75 design they are well constructed and accurate. There short comings are factory service although a fairly good supply of parts are available to the public . Factory fitted with target adjustable sights and a good trigger these "Target" pistols perform and are well within your specified price range; they too are a high-capacity firearm holding 17 rounds. Being well constructed these pistols handle even the hottest 10mm ammo.

228, German made, matched numbers...................................not the new one, which is basically a 229....not that there is anything wrong with the "new" 228..

Just one persons preference......
    "The older I get, the better I was."

WALTHER PPX, 15 round mags,accurate,sig p226 r stainless,15 rd mags,HK if possible.

If you're looking for a target pistol, you probably would be more interested in any of the long slide versions of the big guys. Glock 34, Springfield XDM 5.25", S&W M&P 9L, Sig P226 X-Five. All of these are longer barrels and longer slides than the standard. The off shoot being longer sight radius, and therefore better accuracy (from you more than the gun).

They're all the competition models designed for IPSC or IDPA shooters. Just thoughts anyway.

I shot against a guy who ran a Springfield XDM 5.25" 9mm. He was darn good. But I personally don't like the Springfield triggers. Which is why mine rarely ever gets trigger time. I used to compete with my Glock 19. Not the best choice for competitions, but I wanted my competition gun to be the same one I carry, so I always shot with the same one. I wasn't trying to beat everyone out there, just trying to make myself better. I only finished first once, because the best shooter in the group was DQ'd after dropping his pistol during a draw. Oops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast