Thread: POW logging roads question

Default POW logging roads question

I have read from lots of books regarding the road structure round the POW and the many intersecting log roads that criss - cross the island. From information given it has suggested that the logging roads are not allowed to be used by motor vehicles for any purpose what so ever. Is this the case on the ground.? I'm am quite sure that the logging roads provide an extra means of searching and using new , unexplored water. Is there any leeway in this matter or indeed any exemption available to sport fisherman and women ? Thanks from a very rainy Ireland .

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

Every road on POW was or still is a logging road. Many roads are open and some are closed. Financially it would not be feasible for the Forest Service to maintain every logging road on the island. I can assure you there are enough open roads that you will not run out of places to fish.

What he said. Having 14 trips there myself I can second that reply. Every stream, creek, estuary and river will have a fish run and every mile around the island is going to have good fishing. Finding some new unexplored water? Doubtful. Too many folks for 300 + years have done that. Gary of Stone Arts on the island has explored more than many and he was huntin' rocks.

the logging roads can be blocked with logs or rocks or ditches - all Alaska-sized. Hauling a trailer down a logging road to a dead end can't be much fun. Exploring on a 4-wheeler might be. Most everywhere is pretty much mapped clearly.

Those islands have more places to fish than we have lifetimes to find and fish them.

Thanks for that. Should have made myself abit clearer around the unexplored water part. I meant to refer that comment for the roads that are closed. Sorry about the confusion. Is it along journey from the top of the island rivers to the bottom rivers , say 1.5 - 2 hours.??

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Thanks for that. Should have made myself abit clearer around the unexplored water part. I meant to refer that comment for the roads that are closed. Sorry about the confusion. Is it along journey from the top of the island rivers to the bottom rivers , say 1.5 - 2 hours.??
    Its gonna take longer than 2 hours to do that; you realize the (better) roads are gravel, right? The island itself is fairly large. You won't be going anywhere that fast.

Thanks Steve . I was aware that there was numerous tarmac roads across the island providing significant access . Thanks for you input.

My son-in-law and I spent 10 days a couple years ago on POW, we drove over 2,000 miles fishing, exploring and hunting. There are a lot of roads on the island, and lots of blocked off ones you can hike up into the snow country in the spring. If you stay in Craig you will do a lot of driving in the dark to get there to the rivers early, and you will drive in the dark to return in the evening. Watch out for all the deer, they like to feed on the right of way along the roads. They seem to want to cross just as you get to them.

I've been to the Ireland, Welsh, Scottish coasts and POW several times. Imagine the distance from Galway down to Cork (that's equivalent to red bay down to Hydaburg on POW), except there's coastline to the west AND to the east. Jillions and jillions of miles of beautiful, rocky, rugged, fishy shoreline, except it's thick forest with slipppery undergrowth and downed trees everywhere. If you're not above timberline it's an absolute jungle. Passable if you're really determined, but I've never seen anything like it in the UK. Find where a road crosses one of the larger streams or 'rivers' and you can usually work your way down to the water and wade fish.

Something worth mentioning if you are off the main roads: being able to drive somewhere on POW doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to drive home, or even walk back to your truck! It can rain so hard there that a creek or even a river like the Harris can rise a foot in an hour. Trees can fall across the road you came in on. Be aware and be prepared.

Big_E

All good information. You can get current road maps from the US Forest Service at any office on the Tongass. The Craig and Thorne Bay offices are normally open from 0800 to 1600 daily and closed on weekends. You can call them or go on line. Jim

wow, that's fantastic information . Love the analogy regarding Ireland. I guess its a lot bigger than my mind suggests. thanks everyone

Yep, 17.8 million acres about 500 x 150 miles. Jim