Thread: Really interesting old pic from Kodiak.

Default Really interesting old pic from Kodiak.

I cant remember where I found this but I don't think it was on this forum. If I remember correctly the guy in the pic was hunting on Kodiak and found a mans skeleton, a bear skeleton,and a busted up rifle. It would be cool if anyone of here had the story behind it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It was on here before a couple years back, Barry Stanley ( Denali Air Service) has that pic in his Hangar, the pic was back in the day, he claims and said they most likely both (hunter/bear) died from each other wounds, it was a cool pic though.

I've seen that photo before. I am pretty sure that is a Bill Pinnell and Morris Talifson photo. I could be wrong.

It is Bill Pinnell.
    The photo was staged.

Where is Joe Want when we need him.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yeah they sell the pic @ Knights Taxidermy I believe the true story is the skull was from a native Aleut with a brown bear skull I am pretty sure it was staged by an old time Kodiak guide? I can ask one of my contacts to find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    It is Bill Pinnell.
    The photo was staged.
    Well that is too bad. Good to know though.

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    Well that is too bad. Good to know though.

Ike
    Yeah, it's gotten so a guy can't believe anything he hears or sees anymore........it's pathetic.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I was finally able to find a reference to photo in a published book titled "Some Bears Kill" by Larry Kaniut, The man in the Photo is Bill Pinnell, basically it was a staged hoax photo.

Mr Pinnell, found the rifle in front of the old cannery were they ran their bear guiding operation from. The bear skull was one the a client had left there, the book just says the Mr Pinnell "stumbled onto the human skull" with all the pieces in hand, Mr Pinnell who was known as a pratical joker staged the photo.

I bet he still looks down and gets a kick that his joke lives on long after he himself has left for the happy hunting ground.

http://books.google.com/books?id=VB2...0skull&f=false
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

The pic may be a hoax, but it still makes me think....What a way to go! I have often thought when I get old enough that my body isn't working well, it's time to start turning up the heat by hunting bears with spears and that sort of thing!

Default Really interesting old pic from Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncowboy View Post
    The pic may be a hoax, but it still makes me think....What a way to go! I have often thought when I get old enough that my body isn't working well, it's time to start turning up the heat by hunting bears with spears and that sort of thing!
    When you get ready to do that let me know. I will come along and take pictures so that the world will know it wasn't a hoax!

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah, it's gotten so a guy can't believe anything he hears or sees anymore........it's pathetic.....
    No Joke,

The other day I was discussing this very topic with a Yeti that I had found caught in my snares behind the house on Douglas Island. He was pretty miffed when I walked up, but luckily, I had read on the internet that Yeti's absolutely adore Kit Kat candy bars...... Well, lucky again for me I had a pocket full of them because I had forgotten to eat breakfast that morning. After some smooth talking and Kit Kat bribery, I got the snare off his wrist and apologized profusely, we sat down and shared a little coffee from the thermos as he went on a tirade about all the half truths on the internet these days about his kind.....I agreed with him (what else could I do, I only had the 22 lr with me and we all know that is not a Yeti-worthy caliber, shot placement be danged) and eventually he calmed down and I told him when I hopped on the internet next I would do what I could for him and his kin.

But I'll bet none of you believe me......

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    No Joke,

The other day I was discussing this very topic with a Yeti that I had found caught in my snares behind the house on Douglas Island. He was pretty miffed when I walked up, but luckily, I had read on the internet that Yeti's absolutely adore Kit Kat candy bars...... Well, lucky again for me I had a pocket full of them because I had forgotten to eat breakfast that morning. After some smooth talking and Kit Kat bribery, I got the snare off his wrist and apologized profusely, we sat down and shared a little coffee from the thermos as he went on a tirade about all the half truths on the internet these days about his kind.....I agreed with him (what else could I do, I only had the 22 lr with me and we all know that is not a Yeti-worthy caliber, shot placement be danged) and eventually he calmed down and I told him when I hopped on the internet next I would do what I could for him and his kin.

But I'll bet none of you believe me......
    Man, thanks for the tip. I'll have to add some Kit Kat bars to my survival kit. This really proves your point - cuz I was carrying beef jerky based on the info I got off of the tube - can't trust anyone, these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post
    Man, thanks for the tip. I'll have to add some Kit Kat bars to my survival kit. This really proves your point - cuz I was carrying beef jerky based on the info I got off of the tube - can't trust anyone, these days...
    That Jerky stuff is pure capitalism......Yeti actually have a sweet tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post

You guys have no faith in the internet. Why even George Washington said "every thing you read on the internet is completely and utterly true".

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    You guys have no faith in the internet. Why even George Washington said "every thing you read on the internet is completely and utterly true".

Ike
    Well, seeing that Al Gore invented it it has to be....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I am a bit skeptical of that statement!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

There is a bar in Rio Vista Calif (Fosters Bighorn) that has a picture of a human skeleton near the skeleton of a bull moose. There are some incredible photos in that bar, along with one of the largest private collections of big game animals in the hungry.

Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.