Thread: Powder metering Dillon 550B

Default Powder metering Dillon 550B

I recently purchased a Dillon 550B and love it! I have a good start on 9mm loading and found that the powder metering of Green Dot to be spot on every time.

I tried to dial in a 6.5 Grendel batch using H4895 and the metering variance was over 1 gr (26.8 gr. expected load). Is there a secret to working with the extruded powders? Is there a way to trickle each load and still stay within the progressive scheme (i.e. perhaps a funnel that fits into the powder die? or any other suggestions).

I am shooting the Grendel for mid-long range accuracy, so consistency is important. I do enjoy the production rate of the Dillon however.

Thanks

If your getting a full grain variance something in your setup is off, you should be able to hold about +/-.02g pretty easy. If your getting 0.1g variance that would be great but 1.0 (a full grain) is pretty bad. You want the largest charge bar that will adjust down to your charge. That gives you a column of powder that is taller and thinner, will give more accuracy because your sheering off a smaller area of the column. The longer open you adjust a charge bar the less accurate it gets. You want to get your procedure down so your jiggling the same every time, helps to prevent under filling the bar. Keep the hopper half or more full, keeps flow into the bar more consistent.

If your needing +/-.01 or something your fighting an up hill battle dispensing that. Your more likely to get there with a drum type dispenser like Hornady’s but still tough. Your best bet with tight tolerances like that is to trickle and use something like a Lee pore through die on your press.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Switch to TAC instead of H4895 or some other ball powder of similar burn rate. Big stick powder doesn't meter well from anything.

Very true, stick powder can be a pain to get real accurate metering of. I do quite a bit of 4895 on progressive in 06, 308, and 30-30, it is doable but maybe not the best powder choice for loading fine loads in small cases on a progressive. The ball shape meters best, stick is a bit more trouble and some flake powders can give you real fits.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I am new to reloading, but you might consider a single stage press where precision and long range shooting is involved. Got a 550B and Rock Chucker myself. Working up accuracy loads for AR15 now on rock chucker. Will load H335 and 55 gr Berrys for affordable plinking loads for my other AR on Dillon soon. 9 mm, 10 mm, and 40 S&W on 550B. 500 S&W, 45-70, and 300 wby on rock chucker. Volume and accuracy demands dictate whether I go green or blue. While new as I said, this setup offers a lot. Other option of course is to find some better metering powder. But I prefer the single stage for precision for other reasons than just powder measuring, which I do on the chargemaster. You can mount two presses on plates and place on same spot on bench if desired. Pm me if so, ran across a sweet system the other day but would have to check my emails to get name. Basically a steel plate for each press that slides into a fixed piece on your bench top. Very versatile and affordable way to maximize space.

Dan

Ran across this just now while researching another topic on the 550B...

Problem: The Powder Measure throws inconsistent charges.

Solution (typically): With the Shellplate empty, push the handle forward, like you would if you were seating a primer. Hold it there and look at the blue wing nut and spring at the bottom end of the Failsafe Rod - the nut should be adjusted so that the spring is at least half way compressed. (If it's not, the powder bar may not retract fully each time.)

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html#prepfaqs

Dan

Can you get a hold of some TiteGroup , my 550 loves it.

Thanks for the posts. I have 5 pounds of 4895 and not many other options at this point. I do have a couple of pounds of tac but will wait until later to develop the load with that. I will check the failsafe rod and see where that is at. Also, I found a smaller funnel that fits into the powder die. I am using the press progressively, but manually trickling the powder with the Lyman Gen 5. The charge is reacy by the time I get the new brass in the turret and the bullet ready. I seat the bullet and leave the handle down; thus engaging the stage 2 brass into the power die, dump the charge, raise the handle and index. I was able to get about 100 rounds in an hour. I think as I secure the muscle memory, this will go a bit faster.

I also have a RockChucker and have done the majority of my loading for the AR with that, but I am enjoying the 550!

You are doing about as well as you can with the 550 and 4895. I think you better use that 4895 before you try the TAC. I know you are not using the 350Rem as I am but it went from 225gr Sierras at 2600 to the same bullet at 2800 and groups around 5/8" by switching from 4895 to TAC.

I had issues with 4895, but usually more of a clump getting stuck somehow and then dropping all over my press between rounds. Do you have this happen? I always dump and redo the cases that I occasionally have this happen with.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    You are doing about as well as you can with the 550 and 4895. I think you better use that 4895 before you try the TAC. I know you are not using the 350Rem as I am but it went from 225gr Sierras at 2600 to the same bullet at 2800 and groups around 5/8" by switching from 4895 to TAC.
    Wow... that is impressive! Unfortunately the Grendel is very pressure intolerant. I tried using 2520 (one of the go-to powders according to Alexander Arms) and had some serious pressure marks and failure to eject issues; however it was very accurate when it did shoot.

I am sub-moa with the 4895, shooting 123 gr AMax at 2400 out of a 16".

Even though Tac and H4895 are very close on burn rate, it still doesnt mean it will work the same in different cases. I gained a lot of velocity without pressure signs in the 350 but that doesn't necessasarily relate to the 6.5 Grendel. But, it is a ball powder very close in burn and meters very well and the bonus is you already have some.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Even though Tac and H4895 are very close on burn rate, it still doesnt mean it will work the same in different cases. I gained a lot of velocity without pressure signs in the 350 but that doesn't necessasarily relate to the 6.5 Grendel. But, it is a ball powder very close in burn and meters very well and the bonus is you already have some.
    Indeed. Interestingly I checked the powder charts and 4895 is quite a bit higher (faster) than 2520, but I was getting serious pressure signs at a slower speed with the 2520 (I have a few pounds that I would be willing to sell to a good home!)... So it goes to show that there is way more dynamics than simply the burn rate.