Thread: How do you use a Bow Square?

Default How do you use a Bow Square?

I know you can use the square to insure that your arrow rest is at a 90 degree angle, and to ensure that your sting & rest are alinged but how do you use it to place your nock point? Is it 1/4" up or down? Please assist...Thanks.

Put the square on your rest and snap the rear part (the "T") on your string, insuring it's square with the string. The incriments on most squares is 1/8". I normally begin my tuning with the nock set at +1/8", and find I rarely have to change it. You should start your tuning with the rest at centershot.

Now shoot through paper at 15-20 feet (some doing this closer or farther; I feel it should be at least 15' as you have to give the arrow a chance to recover from the release). If the nock tear is high, lower your nock point and shoot again, if low, raise it. I do this in 1/16"-1/8" increments.

When your nock tear is level, adjust your rest to bring the left/right tear to the center. If you are using an arrow with the proper spine, this will be fairly close to centershot but normally a bit plus/minus one way or the other. It's rare a bow tunes out at perfect centershot. Ideally, your arrow will go through the paper leaving a single hole with the three cuts from your vanes. This is called a "bullethole", and indicates a perfect tune.

You can't always achieve a bullethole, so if your left/right tear is 1/2" or less, your bow is tuned well within parameters for good arrow flight and you won't be able to tell the difference. Don't settle for less than a perfectly level nock tear, however.

Another function of the bow square is to check the tiller. Put the T of the square against the upper limb where it meets the top of the riser and note the measurement to the string. Do the same with the bottom limb. The distance between top/bottom tiller on most compounds should be equal or no more than 1/4" difference (check your individual bow's specs). If it's more, it's highly likely your eccentrics will be out of time and your bow will be impossible to tune.

Getting the tiller out of whack most often happens when changing draw weight. The proper way to change draw weight is to bottom out your limbs then back them off one turn at a time, checking tiller and draw weight each time until you arrive at the weight you desire.

When I get a bow tuned, I write down the nock point, peep distance from nock point, rest position (I use rests that have marked adjustments) draw weight & length, and both top/bottom tiller measurements. That way if I have to work on it, I can quickly set it back up close to it's tune...

Hope this answers your question...

Default Nock point goes...

Below the nock then correct? We put it 1/8" below the 90 degree mark?

if your arrow is placed below nock set then you would normally have it above 90. for my recuve it is about 3/8 " HIGH but that will depend on arrow diameter and bow. you will need to paper test it to get the proper placement. but i would start with it high. ( ????? 1/2 to 1 times arrow diameter) on my compound i use a type of release that attaches above and below arrow so i have nock sets above and below and i do not recall where the bottom one is set.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

As a rule, you nock your arrow below and up against the nock point. So being, you measure to the bottom of the nock point, which is where the top of your nocked arrow would rest. Your square has an open area at 90 degrees with the measurments starting above & below. That open area represents your arrow's nock position. Begin your measurements at the mark at the top or bottom of that open area. The next tick mark is 1/8", next after that 2/8", and so on...

My compound bows normally tune out very close to +1/8" so I start with them there. Whether you shoot your release on the string or from a loop will affect this.

I shoot my recurves with a three under draw and Flipper rest, and they are in the +3/8" to +3/4" area. Don't know if you are shooting Trad, but the three under draw normally requires a higher nock point than the split finger draw...

Yes you want it above your arrow nock. You want your arrow nock below the rest.