Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Halibut restrictions on charters for north gulf coast

Default Halibut restrictions on charters for north gulf coast

Has anyone seen what is being considered?

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...central-alaska

Does not affect sport fisherman but it does impact the charter fleet ....

Yah, I think its a great deal and we may finally be getting somewhere.
    2 fish limit in 3a and only 1 can be over chicken size for charters, (a big step toward limiting large fish).
    No captain and crew fish (this ones been needed for a long time)
    Only one charter per day. (half day cattle boats so long).
    No change on private boats (we don't make money off the resource).

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Yah, I think its a great deal and we may finally be getting somewhere.
    2 fish limit in 3a and only 1 can be over chicken size for charters, (a big step toward limiting large fish).
    No captain and crew fish (this ones been needed for a long time)
    Only one charter per day. (half day cattle boats so long).
    No change on private boats (we don't make money off the resource).
    Don't get too giddy. Do you really think they are going to stop with the cuts? It'll only be a matter of time before private boaters are tied to abundance. Getting somewhere means that now that the CSP is done, they have time to devote to coming up with a plan for the private boaters.

Charterboat Operator

270 IS RIGHT ON IT!
    DO NOT think they will stop with just the charter folks, look at what they did to Canada last year for ALL fishermen/women.
    would have to dig up the specifics to be honest, but they went to one fish under 36" and a total seasonal catch of 5, to all sport fishermen.

What is the current allotment for the commercial fishermen? Has it gone up or down in recent past?

What is the percent of harvest by charters compared to commercial fisherman compared to private fishermen?

Is this a case of - if the charter guy doesn't bonk em - the commercial guy will?

I think that limiting a bit of everyone is needed in order to get the numbers of larger fish back up. I also think that charter captains and their deck hands should be allowed to take a couple fish a year while they are out fishing with clients - but not two every day - that is ridiculous, and they should not be allowed to give the fish to a client. Half day trips - that is a no-brainer to me - as a guy who doesn't pay his bills by taking clients out fishing - I don't like em.

I surely think that something should be done - but not to one group so that another can bonk those fish.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    270 IS RIGHT ON IT!
    DO NOT think they will stop with just the charter folks, look at what they did to Canada last year for ALL fishermen/women.
    would have to dig up the specifics to be honest, but they went to one fish under 36" and a total seasonal catch of 5, to all sport fishermen.
    I honestly like what Canada did. I wish we had done that here, rather than make separate classes of sport fishermen. Canada got it right.

I don't know what is going on but if they limite the size of all fish caght so nothing under say 32 inches will be keep that way the bio mass would gorw
    keeping the small ones would stunt the the growth of the bio mass I think this bit of liminting the sport fishmen / women to one small one an one large one is for the birds ,the fish belongs to every one not a few. an this bit about them catching it an selling it is not the answer , SID

I really agree that the keeping of fish under 32inches by charter boats should stop. Too much harvest of the brood stock is wrong. Seems like a no brainer to allow fish to breed.

Bullelk,

Rest assured, the commercial fleet has taken massive cuts for several consecutive years, and their pain has been much greater than the charter fleet is faced with this year. The bottom line is that the resource is shrinking, and the catch share plan puts a system in place to allocate the fish. I think the CSP was a good effort to allow people to keep catching fish, but also get rid of the least beneficial parts (i.e. captain and crew fish should be the first thing to go).

Actually now with the CSP in place the charter fleet has taken exactly the same reduction at the commercial fleet in south central Alaska. Our largest harvest was just over 4 million pounds and now we are down to 1.78 this year or about 60% reduction. I am willing to take my share but make no mistake, in area 3A the charter fleet has stayed within its allocation and has taken the same amount of reduction.
    As far as killing small halibut……There are a ton of small halibut.
    The way the charter fleet is being regulated still gives our clients a shot at a decent fish and one smaller one.

bkbaker….You don't want charters catching small ones and you don't want them catching breeders????

I am not sure whats left…..

just remember it is not the charter boats they get very little fish it is the sportman that is taking it in the shorts the charter gets paid if no person catches a fish , so remember it is the sports men / women that is getting the shaft, it is not the charter captin / deck hand
    what they are talking about is you / me , being able to go catch 2 fish an keep them , just because WE can't afford a big BOAT,
    [ salt worthey ] we an hire a boat to take us out fshing it is about to stop if the commercial people get there way,
    IT IS NOT THE CHARTER FLEET IT IS THE SPORTSMEM THAT HIRE A BOAT TO TAKE THEM FISHING , SAY IT CORRECTLEY, THE SPORTSMEN THEY WANT TO STOP, FROM TAKING 2 FISH AN LIMIT THERE ABILITLY TO FISH LOOK AT THE CORRECT WAY NOT THE CHARTER FLEET IT IS THE SPORTMEN , THE CHARTER FLEET THEY TAKE VERY LITTLE IT IS THE SPORTMEN THAT TAKE THE FISH KEEP IT STRIGHT , FROM WHAT I HAVE
    SEEN DON'T FISH [ NO TIME ] IF THEY DO FISH IT IS FOR SUPPER THAT NIGHT SMALL FISH , i AS A SPORTMAN DON'T WANT ME ABILITY TO KEEP 2 FISH TAKEN AWAY JUST BECAUSE I HIRE A BOAT TO GO FISHING THAT IS NOT RIGHT IN MY BOOK SID parden the spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    WE can't afford a big BOAT,
    Most people who have big boats can't afford them either. Just the monthly payment.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Actually now with the CSP in place the charter fleet has taken exactly the same reduction at the commercial fleet in south central Alaska. Our largest harvest was just over 4 million pounds and now we are down to 1.78 this year or about 60% reduction.…..
    Fair enough. However, I would point out that the commercial fleet has been taking these cuts for years, and the cumulative lost harvest/income is far greater for that sector than the charters.

I have a lot of respect for AKCAPT for navigating a difficult process and doing the best he could for the sector. There is a lot of anger in the halibut world on all sides, and I see his posts as advocating for a reasonable compromise. It may not have been everybody's first choice, but it was the best deal they could come up with under the circumstances. My hope is that in a few years the halibut will start growing again, and we'll all be back to 2 fish/day, and plenty of halibut in the grocery stores and restaurants too. But, that will take some sacrifice in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Fair enough. However, I would point out that the commercial fleet has been taking these cuts for years, and the cumulative lost harvest/income is far greater for that sector than the charters.

I have a lot of respect for AKCAPT for navigating a difficult process and doing the best he could for the sector. There is a lot of anger in the halibut world on all sides, and I see his posts as advocating for a reasonable compromise. It may not have been everybody's first choice, but it was the best deal they could come up with under the circumstances. My hope is that in a few years the halibut will start growing again, and we'll all be back to 2 fish/day, and plenty of halibut in the grocery stores and restaurants too. But, that will take some sacrifice in the short term.
    My hope is that in a few years the council is no longer dominated by commercial fishing interests.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    My hope is that in a few years the council is no longer dominated by commercial fishing interests.
    Which commercial interest are you talking about, the commercial charter fishing interest or the commercial long lining interest?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Yeah, but you are basing the "cuts" on what? The peak of harvest during the peak of abundance? Just because they were allowed to catch a bunch of fish when managers thought abundance was high, doesn't mean that those fish suddenly belong to them and they are victims when brought back down to reality. Being based on abundance is a double edged sword. Some decades you get more halibut than other. It's always been that way.

As far as I know, halibut limits have never been raised above 2 for sport fishermen, in recent history. They have a maximum of two regardless of if the commercial fleet gets Raised or lowered. Under the CSP, if halibut suddenly boom, and comm fish limits are raised to 100 million pounds in 3a, the sport fish limit will still be 2.

Is that fair, or just the comm fish interests wanting the best of both worlds?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    (snip)

Is that fair, or just the comm fish interests wanting the best of both worlds?
    Is this a trick question
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Which commercial interest are you talking about, the commercial charter fishing interest or the commercial long lining interest?

commercial long lining interest
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Fishgod, are you concerned about allocation or conservation? If conservation is your concern, i don't feel it matters which user group dominates the council, any of them will try to push allocation in their favor with no concern for conservation. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but the greedy nature of man will almost always put their own interests ahead of anything else.

Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

yes thoes charter captins are bad peope there boat catches to much fish [ "" BS '' ] , it is the sport fisher man that take it in the shorts no matter how you look at it , an the """ LONG LINERS """" are just trying to break even with there cost , an make a living , SID

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast