Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best all around bullet for .338 Win Mag in Alaska?

Talking Best all around bullet for .338 Win Mag in Alaska?

I use several bullets in my .338 Win Mag, mostly Nosler partitions or accubonds....what's best all around bullet for Alaska?

Silver Tip

Life Member NRA
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

A friend of mine has been shooting the 180gr Nosler Accubond the last couple of years. Shoots fast, very flat and so far has dropped everything where it stood.

Nothing has stopped one yet, so no pretty mushroomed bullet pictures- including about 5'+ of bull caribou shot stem to stern. If nothing particularly huge is on the list it certainly is worth looking at.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

IMO..........it's hard to beat the ol' NP...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The wife and I both use Barnes bullets and so far the only issue I have is finding a good load. Those bullets are SPENDY and finding a good load takes time. I have also used the Sierra's and they have killed what was shot with them. Weight wise I like the 210-225 grain bullets. I do have some Speer 275's that are fun to shoot. They are the first one in the mag and the last to come out, if needed.

230gr Failsafe. Too bad they are no longer in production. The 225gr Accubond is a nice alternative now.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    IMO..........it's hard to beat the ol' NP...!!!
    ^^^^ Works well in most anything and not too spendy.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've used the 210 and 250gr Partition for years in my 338 and am very happy with the results. Just put together a 300 RUM and switched to the 185gr Accubonds for that because of the better B.C.
    Silver Tip, I see you are from Colbran. Any chance you know a taxidermist there by the name of Chuck Strause?

I like the Barnes Xbullets. Used a 168gr on caribou this fall and dropped it flat. Found the bullet under the skin on the opposite side, perfect mushroom. Making up a 225gr recipe for moose/bear next year

For me it is the Nosler Partition in 225 grains.

I used 250 NP's for several moose and some bou.....did a great job, rocks em pretty good, bullet doesn't splatter the meat. Have recently been shooting Speer Grand Slams in 250......also, excellent performance, have shot a half dozen blacktails with them as well and the bullet stays in one piece, dumps em where they stand, and doesn't ruin a ton of meat.....I am very happy with both rounds.

I have used NP & Barns X for several years & now just stay with the 165 & 225 grain Barns.

I have used them on everything from Caribou, Moose, Bears & a couple trips to Africa where we shot over 30 animals with most being a one shot kill.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Just use a 250gr cup and core whatever. It should blast through most anything walking and at 338velocity it shouldn't tear up meat too badly. Is it the absolute best? Probably not but I'll betcha it'll work. Not enough velocity to blow up a bullet but soft enough to expand some and plenty of weight to drive on through. What's not to like. I think people over think this bullet thing, Just use a bullet moderately heavy for caliber and keep impact velocity below 2600/2700 or so and go kill stuff like has been done for the last 110 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Just use a 250gr cup and core whatever. It should blast through most anything walking and at 338velocity it shouldn't tear up meat too badly. Is it the absolute best? Probably not but I'll betcha it'll work. Not enough velocity to blow up a bullet but soft enough to expand some and plenty of weight to drive on through. What's not to like. I think people over think this bullet thing, Just use a bullet moderately heavy for caliber and keep impact velocity below 2600/2700 or so and go kill stuff like has been done for the last 110 years or so.
    Agreed, going light with this caliber negates what it does best, and that is to throw a biggish bullet at decent speed for shooting within 300 yards without the splatter that little bullets going way too fast give you. I have a 270 full of dust in the closet due to this aspect.....3000 fps and light projectiles equals lots of trimming in my experience with the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    For me it is the Nosler Partition in 225 grains.
    This is my favorite as well!
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    This is my favorite as well!
    I agree with the 225 NP.... Plus its hard to argue with a guy named .338WM, lol

BigSwede has some 225 Nosler Accubond for sale here.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...8Lots-of-EM%29

Them is gooder bullets for sure............................
    "The older I get, the better I was."

i agree with the heavy and slow, I've worked a load of with 250gr hornady sp, and they do the trick just fine. just put the bullet in the right spot and the weight makes sure that the bullet hits with some authority.

swift A frame 225 grn. Remington Factory ammo, about 200 Ft per second faster than nosler.

My Browning X and my uncle's Ruger both like to spit the Barnes TTSX in 225gr equally well. Same load shot best out of both rifles with a max load of RL19. Shot 2 griz, 5 caribou with them that first year that we loaded that round. Excellent terminal performance each time. Full mushroomed "X" on the 2 bullets that did not pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    My Browning X and my uncle's Ruger both like to spit the Barnes TTSX in 225gr equally well. Same load shot best out of both rifles with a max load of RL19. Shot 2 griz, 5 caribou with them that first year that we loaded that round. Excellent terminal performance each time. Full mushroomed "X" on the 2 bullets that did not pass through.
    What were the shot angles/animals that stopped the ttsx' and allowed you to recover them, if you don't mind my asking? Were they high angle griz shots that impacted long bones?

Also my vote would also go to the Barnes 225 gr TTSX projectile as the best Alaskan round out there for the 338 Win Mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast