Thread: quick marten question

Default quick marten question

yesterday i made another check of my trapline. i have marten running all over the place under my traps but none seem willing to climb the tree to the bait/traps. my best thought is the trees are the wrong size but im not sure. what size trees do y'all like to hang your marten sets in.

thanks matt

They will climb when they want to climb. Sometimes marten just will avoid sets, it can be frustrating. On the bright side, alot of folks, myself included, beleive that it is the females that typically refuse to climb. It is good to avoid catching females. So having walk bys is not always a bad thing.

That said, Try using leaning poles up to a horizontal box if you are having tons of walk bys. Seems to be less resistance to leaning poles than vertical pots, IMO.

leaning pole sets are the way to go, cubbys pick up a lot of rodent damage fur....

can also depend on the vole population, how much snow you have, what bait your using, what lure your using etc. etc. marten can be fickle at times but tree size shouldn't matter. I mix it up on my line with flower pots/ 120's and leaning poles with a #1 or #0 longspring as well as using different baits and lures................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

leaning pole for sure....

Like TC said, when marten are picky tree size doesn't matter. Try lowering your sets, making box sets or if you feel vole or fox are a problem then try making trip pole sets to lift the marten off the ground after caught. They are easier and faster to make then most think. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    can also depend on the vole population, how much snow you have, what bait your using, what lure your using etc. etc. marten can be fickle at times but tree size shouldn't matter. I mix it up on my line with flower pots/ 120's and leaning poles with a #1 or #0 longspring as well as using different baits and lures................
    Do you use the flower pots (size 300 I think) that the 120 will snap into? Or do you use brackets to hold the trap against the tree. I've heard of guys doing it both ways, I'm thinking about trying it, they'd sure be light to carry around.

I couldn't find any that fit my 120's so I use the barkers coni brackets. I mostly run #0 and #1 longsprings because I don't like carrying extra 120's etc. but I do use some just to mix things up.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

thanks everyone for the advice. i will try moving a few from standing trees to leaning poles and see if that helps any. wags i use a bracket i built that holds the 120, bait, and a bucket over top of it. it allows my to place the traps quickly and on any tree i find.

thanks
    matt

Here in SE AK I've typically always made lean pole sets for marten. From what I've seen, both male and female marten equally persue the same sets. In my experience, the sex of the marten doesn't effect the catch rate from set to set. Heck, down here it's common to catch mink in lean pole sets 3 - 4 feet off the ground.