Thread: Steam Bath

Default Steam Bath

Here is my new wood fired steam bath it is of Eskimo design most here have one in the backyard and many take a steam everyday.

Love it Mr Jeff, good steam and a cold beverage with a view of the river, don't get much better.

Enjoy!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks glad you enjoyed it!

As far as cold beverages go we are a dry village so a dipper of ice cold spring water is as good as it gets but that's fine for me

Dang that looks toasty! Nothin gets you clean like a steam..... one time I stayed in a village I got in trouble with my hosts 'cause I took my dog in the bath and washed her too lol
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

That would be like visiting a farm and taking your pig in the bathtub with you..lol not cool

Yowser! 300 degrees? You could cook a pot roast in there next to you. Have fun.

Yea you don't want to fall asleep in there.. and it has happened and people die.

300 degrees? For real that can be dangerous...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Sauna_Championships

When it hits about 212, I am looking for the exit, guess I didnt inherit ALL of the Finlander genes

Some of the every-night, super hot steamers have permanently ruptured capillaries near the surface of their skin, I have known and steamed with a bunch of guys like that. When I used to be an every-night steamer I found that I sweated a lot more from even a little exertion. As with all things, it is great in moderation, but has the potential of being harmful.
    If the government takes notice they will either ban them or tax them.

You guys are tougher than me. When it hits about 180 in mine, I'm heading out to stand in the snow for a bit. About 165-175 is my ideal range.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    300 degrees? For real that can be dangerous...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Sauna_Championships

When it hits about 212, I am looking for the exit, guess I didnt inherit ALL of the Finlander genes
    I would say the length of time spent on the top bench is in direct relationship to the temperature and amount of water tossed on stove!

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Yowser! 300 degrees? You could cook a pot roast in there next to you. Have fun.
    I cook meat on my sauna stove rocks periodically. It is a ring bologna style wrapped in a bit thicker skin to prevent from rupturing too early. Why does this seem to be the starting line of a bad joke?!
    Just be sure to rinse it off first, less smell on the rocks...

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    I would say the length of time spent on the top bench is in direct relationship to the temperature and amount of water tossed on stove!
    You can see we don't have benches in the steam baths around here we sit on the floor the steam room only has 4 ft walls so the heat cant rise away from the floor we steam in the winter even at -20 so we need to make them small and efficient.

And yes when you splash water on the rocks things get real hot fast we only use about half the can and brace for the heat that descends on you most get low to the floor and even lay down because its too hot to sit up near the ceiling.

I experienced a maqii many years ago in the village of Platinum. it was a very efficient way to get clean. I would love to eventually build one of these at our cabin.

Heck, I'm making plans to build one in my back yard in Juneau!!!!

used to be my primary wash method in DLG for 5 or so years, time consuming but on village time it was about right.

Loved standing outside on a ten below night with a towel on and being completely comfortable after a good splash.