Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a pontoon/float tube

Default Looking for a pontoon/float tube

Anyone have a reccomendation for a good, lightweight, backpackable pontoon/float tube? I have looked at the Arrow backpack pontoon, but from Cabelas the shipping is outrageous. Fly shop here in town has a Outcast Trinity, but it's a little spendy and the price just went up. Looking for something I can hike with (alongwith my regular pack). Any others I should look into?

I'd go with a tube for backpacking anything be caddis works, just make sure its not a scherdor valve (like a car tire) those stink to deflate.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/339340367.html Craigs list has others if you scroll down.

George

Default Arrow Backpacker

Not sure about Juneau but the Wal Mart in Wasilla is now carrying the Arrow Backpacker for $235

epw,

I purchased the Arrow "backpackable" raft a couple of seasons ago. It works fine on still water, but 45 lbs is a pretty good load especially when you consider packing your waders and fishing equipment. I originally purchased it for "hike in" lakes, but quickly redefined what qualified as a hike. I now use it mostly for road trips since it breaks down into such a small space.

Hope this helps.

tt

Thanks. That definitly helps. I am really looking for something that can "attach" to my hiking pack for some extended overnight backcountry trips on Admiralty or the Chilkat. The more I think about it, the more I want to spend the $350 on the Outcast Trinity because the thing only weighs 8 lbs with the pump. I looked at the Caddis tubes and a couple look like they could work but the weight is still 17-19 lbs. I might could add that to my pack, but have not decided.

Craigslist baby.....Craigslist!!!!!!

FLoat tubes are cheaper and fold up smaller, but pontoons are more conmfy and faster. I'd get what Brad has, just cause I like supporting local shops when I have the money.

Default alpakas

I would spend the extra bucks and get an all around versatile craft. the alpaka weighs in at 4 pounds can be used on lakes and class 3 rivers it is spendy though 800 bucks.this is a one person raft. I am currently saving my pennies for one. I have thought about float tubes and pontoons but once i saw the alpakas i am just going to buy once and be done with it and in the end have an all around raft.
    bushwaker

Default bushwaker

Do you know the website for the alpaka?

kingfisherktn

Default original url

sorry here is the origianl company web site
    http://www.alpackaraft.com/Site/Items.cfm?ItemID=3

Smile

THANX

kingfisherktn

Well, hell. Now I guess its a whole new ballgame. That thing looks pretty sweet, and light.

Default last months AK mag.

that raft was featured in last months AK mag, i have been looking at them for quite some time now as well as researching other pack rafts. It is not a do all boat however. It does have some limitations and only one air chamber, if it gets a hole you sink. But for those of us that want to travel lite and be able to fish without having to fly in and out just hike in this is a good little craft. I hope i can get one before i go to the brooks range in aug.
    Bushwaker

Alpacka rafts are about as sweet as they come, makes some awesome creek boating possible

this is sick

I have one of the original "U" boats (float tube) and it works great. It is nice to not have to carry a pump with you to inflate it at the lake. I pack it in my daypack and inflate it when I get out there and deflate it for the hike back. The rig also has shoulder straps so you can pack it inflated if you want.

It's very lightweight and easy to get in and out of (unlike the inner tube style). Also, very affordable when compared to the personal catarafts!

$100 at Cabelas right now - U-boat
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks for the link on the u-boat. Looks like I am down a couple choices here. I like the Alpaca, ALOT, but I think I can get by with the U-Boat, BUT do I really want to just "get" by???

if you have the money get the alpaca hands down! Mostly because you can float rivers in em

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast