Thread: Cost Estimate for Spring Brown Bear Fly-out Hunt?

Default Cost Estimate for Spring Brown Bear Fly-out Hunt?

I'm looking at attempting to put together a spring hunt for Brown Bear in SW Alaska somewhere. The biggest constraint that I have is it must be in a two bear area since I took a grizz this last fall. So that limits me to unit 17, 19A, and 19D, areas that I don't know really anything about.

Would anyone be willing to discuss over PM or email any thoughts on these areas and/or what it might cost to pull off this hunt?

Thanks,

Riley

You should look at 16B, My friend has a cabin in that unit, and we always see some flying in there, and the tracks tell me there's bigguns !!!

Riley,

I have a tag for Kodiak this coming spring so the guy I usually go with to the Dillingham area might be looking for a partner. Do you have someone already? I have gone out of Dillingham several times and can give you some input if you are interested.

Randy

I'm interested in doing the same this spring and also have to look at 2 bear areas. I have some feelers out and I'm waiting to her back.

Make sure to allow some weather days.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I do not have a partner as of yet and the one person that I talked to about it told me it'd have to be cheap for him to go. Right now I'm just in the beginning stages of seeing what this hunt would entail, so I'm all ears on any thoughts or advice.

Thanks again,

Riley

In my fall hunts up here, going on a decade's worth now, I've never been to an area where I've sighted more bears than unit17. Took a week out there one fall and saw at least a bear a day every day of the hunt, I'm talking reachable bears not the tiny dot on the tundra 8 miles away. Flew with Illiamna Air and I believe we paid around 900$ each for air taxi. The cost was split 3 ways and the guys at Illiamna Air are great, pick a lake and bring a fishing rod with pike and grayling gear.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    In my fall hunts up here, going on a decade's worth now, I've never been to an area where I've sighted more bears than unit17. Took a week out there one fall and saw at least a bear a day every day of the hunt, I'm talking reachable bears not the tiny dot on the tundra 8 miles away. Flew with Illiamna Air and I believe we paid around 900$ each for air taxi. The cost was split 3 ways and the guys at Illiamna Air are great, pick a lake and bring a fishing rod with pike and grayling gear.

Thanks for the info, that's encouraging to hear!

Riley,

There are different kinds of hunts in the Dillingham area. Some go earlier and hunt via snowmachine inland. I have always gone in May and hunted along the coast. We do a beach landing at low tide and camp there. This year we ended up taking a Maule and it was $600 each for each trip or $1200 for each of us. The pilot would not fly both of us out in one trip becaseu of capacity on the plane. We can talk more in PM if you want some details.

Randy