Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hogue Mono Grip size.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Hogue Mono Grip size.

Hogue Monogrips

I can't know the right SIZE for my Ruger (New Model) Blackhawk 357.

Midway advertised grips for BH, same size as Single Six,,,,, BUT, I have a Single Six, and the grips are from an original 357 BH, (The one with the smaller frame) Not the NEW model I have.

The wood grips on my 357 and Single Six are not interchangeable, although outside looks pretty much the same. I can see where Mono Grips might fit both, but I dunno.

I'm trying to figger if there is a Nother size for the New Model BH.

Been lookin on the net.

If anybody knows, can you please clue me?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Try here....

Post 1963 Single Six....link below
    http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...Path=27_702_63

Single Six had 2 different grip frames....

Pre 1963 Single Six...link below
    http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...ath=27_702_703

The links show the difference in the grip frames......I believe the top link is the one you need........

AND they are on SALE................Model: 83000 for New model Blackhawk............
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Try here....

Post 1963 Single Six....link below
    http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...Path=27_702_63

Single Six had 2 different grip frames....

Pre 1963 Single Six...link below
    http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...ath=27_702_703

The links show the difference in the grip frames......I believe the top link is the one you need........

AND they are on SALE................Model: 83000 for New model Blackhawk............
    travelers:

You made it EASY for me. I just made the order.

Thank You kindly.

I hope your potato crop is humungeous, next year.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

travelers:

I received the Hogue Mono-grips in the mail yesterday, and installed them today.

Not quite that simple, though. They were a BEAR to get on, to put it mildly. I perservered, and Finally, succeeded.

For anyones information, these grips are huge compared to the original grips. Beeger around, and longer down, This makes it a bit harder to thumb the hammer back, but I think I can get used to that.

As to how well they work, I fired 6 rounds of the HOT loads and they were quite comfortable to shoot. (As I hoped, and actually expected, because I have them on my 44, and my 38 S&Ws.)

(This load was essentially impractical for me using the grips that came on the gun, because of the recoil.)

Also, it's my perception that I can hold the gun steadier with these grips, over the originals.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Grips do make a huge difference, in both accuracy and recoil perception.

Might be easer to get on if you heat up the rubber, put in hot water then dry well (donít want water trapped in there) and install.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Grips do make a huge difference, in both accuracy and recoil perception.

Might be easer to get on if you heat up the rubber, put in hot water then dry well (donít want water trapped in there) and install.
    I never thought of that, but I did think of dumping the whole shebang in the lap of my Favorite Gunsmith, and you know who that is.

I didn't know until I was successful if it was even the correct grip for my gun. I'll let you shoot it with the new grips, first opportunity.

Is my Blackhawk, (new model) stronger than your (old 3 screw model)?

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    travelers:

I received the Hogue Mono-grips in the mail yesterday, and installed them today.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Glad they worked......I've been sweating bullets that the link I gave you was wrong..............

Here is a pic of Hoguies on a Super Redhawk............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Glad they worked......I've been sweating bullets that the link I gave you was wrong..............

Here is a pic of Hoguies on a Super Redhawk............
    Great Picture.

Now, I know how tater tots are made.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Is my Blackhawk, (new model) stronger than your (old 3 screw model)?

Thanks
    SOTN
    I donít think so. Maybe something to do with the newer steel but not to my knowledge, I think they are both 4140cm bar stock but I'll need to check that. Blackhawk new or old in 357 is one heck of an overbuilt heck for stout revolver in every way though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I donít think so. Maybe something to do with the newer steel but not to my knowledge, I think they are both 4140cm bar stock but I'll need to check that. Blackhawk new or old in 357 is one heck of an overbuilt heck for stout revolver in every way though.
    I think we talkin bout two different frame sizes, and possibly a larger cylinder on the New Model. It's spose to be same a larger frame. More recently, didn't they make the Vaqueros on the original smaller frame? Two different size Vaqueros.

You don't hafta look it up, I just wondered if you knew.

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

AD:

The reason I say you don't hafta look it up, is because it's a "can of worms", with 14 different Ruger frames.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

AD:
    Back to the differences in your BH 357 and mine.

Here is a post from another Forum, I found... It verifys what I remembered.

"""1) Yes. The OM .357s were built of a "mid" frame, mid-way between a Single Six (small) and the larger frame used on the .44s and .45s. The only .44s available as OMs were .44 magnums. (The "dream gun" for many was a .44 Special on the smaller .357 magnum "mid" frame.)

The "New Model" Blackhawk introduced the transfer bar ignition system, and completely replaced the "OM" line. (Old models were not known as OMs until the New Models came out.) They dropped the mid-sized frame at this time and put the .357 on the larger frame.

4) Recently Ruger started producing mid frame guns again. The "New Vaquero" and 50th Anniversary .357 Blackhawk are on this frame. A distributor named "Lipsey's" commissioned a line of .44 Special guns on this frame, and Ruger produced them. They were wildly popular, the original Lipsey's order was (at least) doubled, and now Ruger has made it a regular cataloged item.

They also have a 50th Anniversary .44 mag Blackhawk which is on the larger frame.

That's about all I can fill in.

-- Sam""""

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

And then of course the Blackhawk 357 Maximums that were a stretched frame. Also Lipseys had a run of midsize flat tops in the 45 colt as well as the 44spc. http://www.lipseysguns.com/category/45-Colt.aspx

Huntington does a 5 shot 480 conversion on these NM Mid-Frames. What sweet gun that would be.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

AD:

The reason I say you don't hafta look it up, is because it's a "can of worms", with 14 different Ruger frames.

Smitty of the North
    Well too late boss, I done did it. Shouldn't be too many worms in the can anyway, just gun talk.

Blackhawk cylinders are all made from 4140 chrome molly or 410 stainless bar stock. As far as I can tell new model cylinders are 1.732Ē and old model is 1.672Ē so yours is .060" bigger around. With an outer wall thickness of about .030Ē more on the new model it will be a tiny bit stronger cylinder but not too much because the web between chambers is exactly the same thickness on both. But I believe the 3 screw frame has a tiny bit more (likley .030") top strap, same outer profile with a smaller window cut out.

So no, I donít think one is any stronger than the other, I think they are both flat out heII for stout built guns.

Now "Flat Tops" were made 1955 to 1962 and I think this is the mid frame (between Single Six and New model) your thinking about. It was originally designed for the 357 and in 1956 they stuffed the 44mag in it. They did that because they found 44mag brass at the scrap yard . . . they guesses it was discarded by S&W when they were developing the 44mag round so they jumped all over it and dang near beet Smith to the shops with their own inovation.

1962 to 1972 they made the 3 screw like mine, I think mine was made about 1962-63. I think (not at all sure) this frame is like yours but with a little smaller window cutout. I think this because they made some of 3 screws in 45 Colt but never the Flat Top and Iíve had a lot of New Models and they all exactly fit the same holsters I molded around my old 3 Screw.

New Model is 1973 on. I think the only frame change is the window opening size and cuts inside to fit the new workings. The major change was all to the workings, no half calk, cylinder unlocks with the loading gate, and transfer bar so you can pack 6. Super Blackhawk is the same "New Model" frame but have a larger grip frame on them.

From there Iím lost, with all the Vaquero, New Vaquero, old Vaquero, funny grip frames and what not I canít get it sorted out in my head so got to look it up.

Iíll try and remember to bring my ole trusty rusty this week.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    And then of course the Blackhawk 357 Maximums that were a stretched frame. Also Lipseys had a run of midsize flat tops in the 45 colt as well as the 44spc. http://www.lipseysguns.com/category/45-Colt.aspx

Huntington does a 5 shot 480 conversion on these NM Mid-Frames. What sweet gun that would be.
    Yea the 357max was a stretched New Model frame. Iíve only ever seen a couple of them, I drooled on them in the early 80s but before I got the money the flame cutting issue showed up. Stupid me I should have got the thing anyway and sat on it, it would have some value now.

The New Model Flat Tops seem to be a real odd ball, modified New Vaquero smaller frame I think. They look like the old flat top on the top strap but I donít think they are as small. If 480 will fit in there it must just be shorter but not smaller diameter.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Iíll try and remember to bring my ole trusty rusty this week.
    I'd appreciate it.

I'd like to see if it is SMALLER than mine. In the past I've toyed with the idea of replacing my New Model with an Old Model, and wondered about strength.

It appears it isn't much smaller, and both are strong. I don't like the free wheeling cylinder on the New Model, but like that it is Safer. I will be stickng with the one I have.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Yea the 357max was a stretched New Model frame. Iíve only ever seen a couple of them, I drooled on them in the early 80s but before I got the money the flame cutting issue showed up. Stupid me I should have got the thing anyway and sat on it, it would have some value now.

The New Model Flat Tops seem to be a real odd ball, modified New Vaquero smaller frame I think. They look like the old flat top on the top strap but I donít think they are as small. If 480 will fit in there it must just be shorter but not smaller diameter.

check this...

http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...crollTo=131088
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Okay Smitty and I put our Rugers under the calipees. The New Model frame is different than the 3 screw frame. Itís like I thought, same outer profile with a larger window for .060Ē bigger cylinder except itís about .150Ē longer. They moved the front forward so youíd think there would be the same thickness to it but no. Itís thinner there on the NM because they opened the front of the window about .100Ē extra, there is double the cylinder to frame gap on the NM.

Another funny thing is fired cases fall right out of my 3 screw but must be ejected from Smittyís New Model. His ammo, my ammo, hot loads, mid loads, factory loads . . . They fall freely from mine and need to be ejected from his, some from hot loads needed to be ejected then pulled the last bit by hand. Chambers on both look the same, granted mine has many MANY thousands of rounds but cases have always fell right out of it. So anyway now we are wondering if this has something to do with why popping a primer locks his up and not mine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Cool stuff! Dang there sure ainít much top strap left on that 480 New Vaquero. Love the grips on that 500 max.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

.................................... So anyway now we are wondering if this has something to do with why popping a primer locks his up and not mine.
    Sounds like you found out why Smitty's primers pop out........Case stays put, primer moves out and the case doesn't scoot backwards, resetting the primer.

I'd take some steel wool wrapped around a brush and polish those cylinders.........

I'm a taterhead, sooooooo, becareful with my ideas. I have blowed up a few things....:-).........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast