Thread: Bowfishing for Salmon Proposal

Default Bowfishing for Salmon Proposal

What do you think? I think it would be a lot of fun, although I am not sure it would be a wise decision from a conservation standpoint. I love bowfishing for pike. Good practice but hard to hit those little pencil fish.

http://www.adn.com/2013/12/10/322329...ishing-in.html

My proposal specifies that bow fishing for salmon would ONLY be legal in areas open to snagging by regulation, so conservation concerns are not an issue. Obviously if the department has no problem with fish being snagged there can't be any concern about the stock. Limits and season would be the same, and in all seriousness, any argument against archery could be turned around and used against snagging as well.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    My proposal specifies that bow fishing for salmon would ONLY be legal in areas open to snagging by regulation, so conservation concerns are not an issue. Obviously if the department has no problem with fish being snagged there can't be any concern about the stock. Limits and season would be the same, and in all seriousness, any argument against archery could be turned around and used against snagging as well.
    That was your proposal Dave? I didn't know that. Actually I think it would be a lot of fun. Kind of doubtful it will pass, but it would be fun nonetheless. Makes sense about the snagging argument too.

Default Bowfishing for Salmon Proposal

Voted down 4-3. They spent a lot of time on it, broke to go into sidebars and came back with an amended area ( north of a line from the homer spit to petersen point) had intense discussion about the perceived problems with bow fishing on the spit, asked a direct question of the department which was crucial to the decision and the department answered incorrectly and that was it.
    I had steam coming out of my ears like a roadrunner cartoon.
    Incredibly frustrating to carefully craft a reasonable proposal (imho) paying careful attention to nomenclature and definitions only to have it fail because the department misunderstood their own regs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keep at it and in your 5 minutes of glory not the correct reg info.... Would be fun if a guy had the means to do it.

I will be submitting a proposal in the next statewide cycle. The board seems really hung up on the idea that it is "dangerous", so I will be getting as much info as I can from states with lots of bow fishing, especially states that also have snagging and comparing rates and incident of injury. Should be easy, as so far I haven't been able to document a single injury other than snap-back when the reel didn't work or the line caught. Bystanders seem pretty safe, unlike snagging. Also, I have heard there are places that snagging has been made illegal due to the danger to observers, yet archery is still legal so I am pursuing that. I have a couple years to refine the proposal, but I'll be back.

I see several people down here in WA bowfish for large carp in Potholes reservoir. Looks like fun. They may have a club or something that could help with info for you. Most of there shots are at very steep down angles so no worry at all about being near them. It's not like they are shooting high arching hail mary shots for fish 200 yards away. Not to mention that their arrows are tethered to their bows and could only go so far anyway. I'd much rather stand next to them than in the midst of flying trebbles and lead on the ressurection mud flats or a busy crowd on the russian. Good luck with your efforts.

Scott

They're probably picturing shoulder-to-shoulder combat bowfishing.

I grew up bow fishing for carp in NV. A huge amount if fun. All my shots were less than 25ft. Any further and the arrow may tend to skip or deflect upward and miss the fish. With the heavy arrow and line it does not travel very far. I would have little safety concern except at creek mouths where people could be on both banks.

The only concern for salmon would be the amount of flesh that gets wasted. On a pink, about 1/4 of the fish could end up with a huge blown out hole through it. Thinking about the carp blow outs on a red would bother me.