Thread: July Black Bear??

Default July Black Bear??

Hello Everyone. I am new to this site. I am from MI and will be coming to Anchorage on July 9th. We will be staying out at Lake Creek, Salmon fishing. What happened is, I built a custom Jetboat for a customer and ended up booking a 5 night stay at his place at Lake creek. I had only planned on fishing for 5 days but then he mentioned Black Bear hunting. Which of course got my attention. A few posts back ,a few people had mentioned the condition of their fur. It sounds like it is far from their prime. How bad is it? How about meat? One guy told me that they should be great to eat this time of year. I had also heard that a non - Res. tag is fairly inexpensive. Can anyone help me out with where to find some info. or help answer a few of my questions. Prices on tags, hunting styles, etc. Also, if this hunt is possible I am debating bowhunting or riflehunting. Is there anything else to hunt? Any help would be great. My e-mail is sephillips5@hotmail.com or a follow up post is fine. Thanks for your time. Jason

start here: state.ak.us/adfg
    lots of bears in those parts, I've seen some really pretty ones into late june and depending on where you shoot it you can find one that hasn't been on salmon yet.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default ???

What makes the bear bad when they start eating salmon ?? It may be a stupid question but I really don't know

The meat might be fine, but the hide will be terrible.

Robert bears that have been feeding on salmon tend to taste alot like rotten salmon. Might be OK for sausage, but not strait to the table fare. However tyhe black bears dont get much of a chance too take advantage of the salmon runs because ussually Mr. Brown runs them off.

Don't care for fish bears. To me they have a differnt taste.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK