Thread: Different stock to make a lighter .375 Ruger?

Default Different stock to make a lighter .375 Ruger?

I went over to the safe today and picked up my .375 Ruger Alaskan. I really like this gun and it really fits me well. I think it is a little on the heavy side though. I have a Nikon 2-7x32 on it and that brings the weight of the rifle up to 9.6 pounds empty. Has anyone replaced the factory stock with a custom stock on one of these? Would it lighten it up much if I did replace the stock? I know that it will increase recoil by some but I would rather have a little more recoil and less weight I think. If BRWNBR can shoot that 7 pound .416 I know I could handle a lightened up .375 .

I am in the process of making a lighter mt rifle out of mine. Started with the Howa 1500 SS with the 24" barrel. Went with a new Bell Carlson medalist stock then took the barrel down to 21" new 11 degree target crown added a shrewed brake for the bench and cap for the field. A timney trigger and topped with a stainless 3x9 leupold finished around 8.1lbs.

I would replace the factory stock with a McMillian,, like this.....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/2946200/1

I have my Sako on one and really like it..

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Different stock to make a lighter .375 Ruger?

Beautiful stock! Is that the Sako Kodiak?

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by READYPRO1 View Post
    I am in the process of making a lighter mt rifle out of mine. Started with the Howa 1500 SS with the 24" barrel. Went with a new Bell Carlson medalist stock then took the barrel down to 21" new 11 degree target crown added a shrewed brake for the bench and cap for the field. A timney trigger and topped with a stainless 3x9 leupold finished around 8.1lbs.
    That's about the weight I'm looking for. Any pics yet?

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    Beautiful stock! Is that the Sako Kodiak?

Ike
    Yes Sir, it is.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I will as soon as it gets back from the gunsmith for the final fitting of the stock and brake

Default 375 Ruger Mt. rifle

Picked it up last night at the gunsmiths shop it weights a bit more at 8.3lbs. but balances real nice. Going to put it to the test this weekend on paper. I cant figure out the picture thing but there is one in my album

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Yes Sir, it is.
    Man your lucky all i got is a junky ass new haven model 70 stainless synthetic in a 375 h&h and it shoot like crap 3 shot 3/4 inch groups at 100yds

Get a McMillan Mark II Classic with Edge technology; if you can afford it, have them bed it. Quality is something that is never regretted. I got my Mod 70 featherweight back this fall from Hill Country Rifles and couldn't be more please - McMillan Featherweight with Edge technology - total weight at 7.5 lbs with Leupold 2.5-8 and sling.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Get a McMillan Mark II Classic with Edge technology; if you can afford it, have them bed it. Quality is something that is never regretted. I got my Mod 70 featherweight back this fall from Hill Country Rifles and couldn't be more please - McMillan Featherweight with Edge technology - total weight at 7.5 lbs with Leupold 2.5-8 and sling.
    McMillan will not inlet an Edge fill stock for a Ruger M77 MK II. They are only going to do magnum fill for the 375 and that's going to weigh something like 32-34 ounces. They're an excellent stock, and it's certainly the way I'd go, but it's not going to be an ultralight option.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Why would they not?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Why would they not?
    You can give them a call or an email if you doubt me, but the angled receiver screw makes them awkward for the install of their factory pillars and the Ruger recoil lug is a touch on the small side. I'm sure you could order a Edge fill blank and have a gunsmith inlet for the Ruger and use poured pillars/Devcon and make it work, but then you'd have a pretty significant increase in price for a stock that is not recommended for recoil levels beyond the various 300 Magnums.

When they were first introduced, the Edge fill stocks were recommended with up to .338 WM recoil, but with the reduced recommendation from McMillan I'd suspect that with real world R&D the .338 WM proved too much and the .375 Ruger is more of the same. If you call McMillan they will tell you that a .375 Ruger will require their magnum fill........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.