Thread: about that community harvest thread last fall...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default about that community harvest thread last fall...

I know Claude and a group of others had a large to-do about the community harvest program in unit 13.. and there was some confusion why myself, mark and a few others didn't hop on it...

well here is part of the part..

it will be presented to the courts this week.. if your in Fairbanks. it might be worth sitting in.

AOC Email Alert
    Oral argument before Alaska Supreme Court
    Tuesday - December 10, 2013
    Fairbanks Judiciary Courts State building - 101 Lacy Street
    The Alaska Fish & Wildlife Conservation Fund (AFWCF), the litigation arm of the Alaska Outdoor Council (AOC) is appealing the state court's decision in the Alaska Fish & Wildlife Conservation Fund v. SOA and Ahtna Tene Nene' before the Alaska Supreme Court.

It's a question of whether the Alaska Board of Game (BOG) can offer a priority to take a publicly owned resource, wild game, during times of abundant harvestable surplus.

Fairbanks attorney Michael C. Kramer will be presenting oral arguments on behalf of the Fund before the Alaska Supreme Court on Tuesday - December 10th at 10:15am.

You are welcome to attend the hearing and show your support for AOC's efforts to make sure game allocation in Alaska is consistent with state law.

The Alaska Statute 16.05.258 Subsistence use and allocation of fish and game says you can not differentiate among subsistence users until the harvestable portion of the population is not sufficient to provide a reasonable opportunity for subsistence uses. The BOG has determined that the current harvestable surplus of moose and caribou in the Copper River Basin is sufficient to provide a reasonable opportunity for all Alaskans who choose to take wild game for its nutritional value to them and their families.

The Alaska Department of Law is defending the BOG's decision to adopt regulations under a state statute regarding licensing of sport fish and hunting, AS 16.05.330(c) that has circumvented the state's subsistence law and past AK Supreme Court decision on the subject. The BOG regulation confers a privilege to harvest a public resource during times of abundant harvestable surplus based on one's ability to join a group of 25 or more.
    AOC feels that action by the BOG violates a number of individual rights protected under Article I, Section 1 and Article 8, Section 3 of the Alaska State Constitution. The hearing is scheduled to last 25 minutes, from 10:15am - 10:40am. Please come down and show your support for lawful allocation of subsistence resources during times of abundant harvestable surplus.
    Please forward this email on to everyone on your friendly email list.
    If this email was forwarded to you:
    Join AOC and receive your own AOC email alert. Join online at www.alaskaoutdoorcouncil.org,

If you need to update your information or request a mail in membership form you may send an email to membership@alaskaoutdoorcouncil.com
    Thank you for your support
    Sincerely,

Bill Iverson
    President
    Alaska Outdoor Council
    "Protecting your Hunting, Trapping, Fishing and Access Rights"
    310 K Street, Suite 200
    Anchorage, Alaska 99501
    Phone: (907) 264-6645
    Fax: (888) 932-3353
    Email: president@alaskaoutdoorcouncil.com
    Web site: www.alaskaoutdoorcouncil.org

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The "millions" that will read this will sit on their hands and continue to allow their individual liberties be trampled by the privileged class of society.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i know... good to hear your sweet melody...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

got a half assed report today, sounds like the judges panel was a little rough on the states atty. regarding the legality and constitutionality of these community harvest programs. briefs have been done.. stay tuned for... ??? who knows.. but my bet is that any BOG member that pushed for them will be seeking new lines of hobby time.

meet on face book here

What happened to the Dept. attorney who is supposed to tell the BoG if what they are doing is legal or not? Heard thatguy (it's not Kevin Saxby anymore) is planning on leaving. GOOD. He should have seen this coming
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

To most its not a BOG problem but look no futher than to many bears and wolves and no seasonal restocking right before season,closer to a road the better.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the update and good luck with the suit. Thank goodness cause the community harvest is obviously a travesty. Did the requirements change for next year?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    What happened to the Dept. attorney who is supposed to tell the BoG if what they are doing is legal or not? Heard thatguy (it's not Kevin Saxby anymore) is planning on leaving. GOOD. He should have seen this coming
    Mike i only have bits..

saxby is now a judge, he was the one that refered to BOG during the com. harvest building... my tentative understanding is the new DOL person at BOG meetings last year quit. when someone sat him down and told him how he will make recomendations to the BOG as saxby did..

they are looking for a new DOL rep. and the guy that did the brief on this case, to my understanding, is on the short list.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    To most its not a BOG problem but look no further than to many bears and wolves and no seasonal restocking right before season,closer to a road the better.
    Will.. the community harvest program was hatched by the BOG at the Nelchina caribou meeting when the tier II was taken away. and the AHtna program was found to be illegal. there's a lot more behind the constitutionality then we have time or ability to type out here..

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Thanks for the update and good luck with the suit. Thank goodness cause the community harvest is obviously a travesty. Did the requirements change for next year?
    o changes can or will be made, until a ruling is made, then the BOG will have to rebuild the Nelchina system.. unless the courts rule the community harvest is equally constitutional as general season harvest.

meet on face book here

I have found when hunters get involved things can be changed for the better hunter/game. I have heard people say my license fees pay F&G to make sure I have game to hunt and if I have to do it at meetings why pay for license.Alaska is one of the few states that allow hunters to help plan out the future of hunting but most don't have time to give I guess,much easier to complain.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

nuisance moose hunts, roadside community kill fests, Alaska moose federation peel the moose off the road for you and your buddie's freezers with $40,000 dollar tax funded trucks, road kill lists, ect.

Man, I might become on of them thar lazy guys who take the easy way out. Welfare moose hunting! Once you get on that good ole boy koolaid, you'll never want to hunt again!