Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Drawing permit reminder

  1. #1
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Drawing permit reminder

    Just a reminder.......Drawing permit deadline is 12-16

    And also a question, I had always assumed that applying for a party permit increases ones odds by 50%........?

    Seems logical since they only issue so many permits and applying as a party essentially gives you two chances.....

    dividing the amount of permits by the applicants would give the odds on that particular draw.........

    Am I looking at this wrong.....?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    And also a question, I had always assumed that applying for a party permit increases ones odds by 50%........?

    Seems logical since they only issue so many permits and applying as a party essentially gives you two chances.....

    dividing the amount of permits by the applicants would give the odds on that particular draw.........

    Am I looking at this wrong.....?
    You're looking at it wrong. As explained in the supplement, both members applying as a party are given the same randomly assigned number in the draw - the two of you have a single chance together. It actually decreases the odds that one or the other might draw, as the two of you have one chance to win as opposed to each of you having an individual chance to win. It is for that reason that my wife and I never apply as a party - we double our chances of winning at least a single tag, though there is very little chance that we'll both win the same tag.

    In my mind, the only time it makes sense to apply as a party is when the logistics or expense would be better shared among two hunters. A buddy might be more willing to join on a distant elk or musk-ox hunt if both hunters had tags, so that's where the party applications come in handy. For freezer fillers, though, I always apply solo.

  3. #3
    Member ak_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    The other way to look at the Party app is that if your buddy puts in as an individual, he's competing against you.

  4. #4
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    From the F&G website:

    "The computer then randomly assigns a number to each hunt on each valid application. The random number is referred to as your "draw number." Party hunt applications receive one draw number for each hunt. That is, both applicants on the party hunt application receive the same draw number per hunt, so if that number is drawn, both party members receive a permit.

    Permits are awarded to applicants with the lowest randomly assigned draw numbers up to the number of permits allocated for that particular hunt. If five permits are to be awarded for a particular hunt, the five permits will be given to the first five lowest draw numbers until the total permit allocation is awarded. For example, if four of the five permits have been awarded, and a party application has the next random number, the party application will be skipped. This is because there is only one permit left available, and two permits would have to be awarded for a party application (one for each member of the party). The permit will instead be awarded to the next individual applicant whose number is selected"

  5. #5
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You're looking at it wrong. As explained in the supplement, both members applying as a party are given the same randomly assigned number in the draw - the two of you have a single chance together. It actually decreases the odds that one or the other might draw, as the two of you have one chance to win as opposed to each of you having an individual chance to win. It is for that reason that my wife and I never apply as a party - we double our chances of winning at least a single tag, though there is very little chance that we'll both win the same tag.

    In my mind, the only time it makes sense to apply as a party is when the logistics or expense would be better shared among two hunters. A buddy might be more willing to join on a distant elk or musk-ox hunt if both hunters had tags, so that's where the party applications come in handy. For freezer fillers, though, I always apply solo.

    I have found it also helps when one kids seems to draw more then the other.. so this year i partied the kids.. if one draws they both do.. end of argument. $380.00 donated yesterday..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  6. #6
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Brian is spot on,, and to add on to what he stated.

    If your party draws on the last spot available meaning one tag is left and there are 2 in your party the tag goes to the next eligible applicant.

    So as said, a party application does not increase your odds.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I have found it also helps when one kids seems to draw more then the other.. so this year i partied the kids.. if one draws they both do.. end of argument. $380.00 donated yesterday..
    When my boys get to the age where they can apply, they can just suck it up if one has more luck in the drawing. More opportunities in the draw means more chances to get meat for the family. If one consistently fails to draw, we'll go do a deer hunt on Kodiak, a registration goat hunt, or find something else to make it all about the other kid. Personal choice, of course, but there is little chance I'll put my boys in on party applications.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    I happen to like watching my girls bicker when results are out,lol. They make it competitive with each other which makes it fun to go out hunting. They are now getting to the age to where I stagger every other year and take one on a big hunt with me. This year was out of the norm doing the float hunt with my youngest and then Cold Bay with the oldest. This year is the wifes turn to float and we are all spending Turkey week in Kodiak for deer and goat. Can't wait..

  9. #9
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    OK, thanks guys.......I had a suspicion I wasn't looking at it right......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  10. #10
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    983

    Default

    as Brian said.. putting in solo increases the chance of one of you drawing..

    this is what my hunting partner and I do, and in 2012 both of us drew the same tag...

    actually harvested our moose less than a 1/4 mile from each other ( a week apart though)

    Chris

  11. #11
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    EXCEPT FOR ONE HUNT!!!!

    everyone should party draw on DS123... EVERYONE... it will most certainly increase chances of getting drawn....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  12. #12
    Member Steve_O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Delta Junction, AK
    Posts
    168

    Default

    That's my thoughts too Vince, But then every draw number drawn for the hunt automatically takes out two tags. shoot! Now I'm back to the drawing board so to speak. Or as I like to say "continueing to donate to the cause."

  13. #13
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    I started applying party in 2007. I went 14 years before that without drawing a single tag. Since I went party, I have drawn Tok Sheep, Raspberry Elk, Healy Caribou, Kodiak Grizzly, Sadie Goat, Chugach Sheep, Halibut Cove Goat. Also, have drawn Unit 13 caribou.
    So, while I know the odds went down, my success went up. Don't know why, and don't care, but I'm going to continue applying party!
    Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  14. #14
    Member Ernie Scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    150

    Default

    I'm with Claude, I know the statistics say better success applying as an individually but I've drawn way more tags on a party draw.

  15. #15
    Member Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Alaska
    Posts
    2,050

    Default

    Draw hunts on F&G says they are down and can not apply
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Must be a wave of them going thru. I just did my whole family an hour ago with no problems..

  17. #17
    Member Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Alaska
    Posts
    2,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Draw hunts on F&G says they are down and can not apply
    Up and running again
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •