Thread: Mid-July fly-out sockeye recommendations?

Default Mid-July fly-out sockeye recommendations?

A friend of a friend is coming up to Alaska next summer and they're already booked for July 7-17th. They're booked for a couple of days in Seldovia for saltwater fishing, but I told him to consider flying out for reds as well. My first thought was self guided on the Newhalen River somewhere between the 10th-14th, but he seems interested in a trip to one of the rivers on the far side of Cook Inlet. I've never been over there, though, so have no recommendations to pass along. Can anyone suggest an air taxi/guide service or two that you have personal experience with? Am I off base thinking that the other side of Cook Inlet should have fishable numbers at that time? I know it's in between runs on the Kenai (for the most part, anyhow), so that's why I'm pointing him elsewhere.

Brian, I would have him and or you call Jim Teeny he is always willing to chat about Sockeye fishing it is his favorite fish to chase. He has been there and doing that for over 30 years in AK. Would be hard pressed to find someone with his vast knowledge concerning the subject matter. 503.667.6602 or shoot him an email from his web site.

Not to say that there is not a wealth of information available on the forum always has been always will be.

I have flown with High Adventure Air a few times and found them to be a class act. They go over for Sockeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    I have flown with High Adventure Air a few times and found them to be a class act. They go over for Sockeyes.

It would depend on if they want to go over to a crowded hole like wolverine creek on big river lake as that is where most of the operators fly (cattle car) the tourists to or if they are looking for something a bit more secluded. The cheapest fly out is probly to that area, but if they want to spend money, there are a lot of areas they can charter the plane to fly out to. High Adventure, Talon Air, Alaska West Air, Trail Ridge air, etc. all have spots they fly out to for reds during that time frame.

There used to be a fly fishing shop on the Spit, Brian I believe, that does guided trips to the Westside. Not sure if he's still down there.
    Piscor Ergo Sum