Thread: Northern Outfitters Gear

Default Northern Outfitters Gear

Has anyone used Northern Outfitters Gear?(http://www.northernoutfitters.com/)

If you have, how well does it hold up and does it do what they say? Thanks for the insight....

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Has anyone used Northern Outfitters Gear?(http://www.northernoutfitters.com/)

If you have, how well does it hold up and does it do what they say? Thanks for the insight....

Ron
    I have their Vaetrex -30 liner, but I don't wear it much because it's uncomfortable (stiff). It's pretty much as advertised, though. For extremely warm gear I use Apocalypse. I know several people (Iditarod and Quest mushers) who have Northern Outfitter arctic gear and are happy with it.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Their mitts are the best piece of winter gear I own. Bar none. They used to sell insulated bibs that they called "mountain pants" or something similar. They are awesome and I bought two pair so I'd have a pair when the first ones wore out. They make a thicker pair of bibs that I think they called Arctic bibs or something and they are just too warm and bulky for active stuff outdoors, IMO. For ice fishing or sitting winter hunts they would be great.

I agree with mlshore that the liner gear can be bulky and stiff, but it is some damm warm gear...

I bought a used pair of their "Arctic boots" and they were so hot that I just couldnt stand to wear them. I mean my feet were on fire hot and it was -10F. They are really warm boots, but bulky as heck and not great for active outdoor stuff, IMO. I still have the liners for them and take them along to wear in my sleeping bag if I'm winter camping...which I do less and less of as I get older (smarter)

I've got one of their full length parkas with the lightest weight liners (at the time) that I've had for about 15 years. It is so warm I don't find opportunity to wear it that often. I used it last weekend ice fishing and it is still the warmest jacket I own. Their gear is great for when you aren't very physically active in the cold. If you are hiking or exerting yourself, you may find the gear to be a little too much.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....