Thread: Catch Sharing Plan signed in law

Default Catch Sharing Plan signed in law

Just as we expected, it was signed into law. We'll see what limits end up at next year. I'm sure AK Capt will have a good idea.

I see that a recommendation from ADFG is:

2c: Reverse slot. Under 44" and over 76". Yep, that's 76". Lost big on the upper end and an inch on the lower end.

3a: 1 any size. 1 under 30".

I take it "reverse" means NON retention between 44 and 76?

That's about 40# to 225#
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Yes. Pretty much 40# - 234# (according to the chart I have) go back. Bitter pill to swallow for the guys who were savvy at catching 68" + halibut, where that were legal the last few years.

The Catch Sharing plan gives the SE charters 18.3% of the halibut, allocated to commercial. Under the CSP, they now use a 5% mortality rate. Not sure if that's for released fish, or all fish caught, but it also cuts into what he 2c charters can catch. With the boom in SE charters and just about every operation being booked up, limits are going to have to be slashed to stay under that 18.3%.

Halibut #'s are improving in SE. I've never seen it so good. Last year was amazing for quality fish. it'd be nice for limits to be getting better, not getting worse.

3a got hit the hardest if they take the recommended limits. 1 fish any size, 1 fish under 30"? That's a 10lb fish.

These are just the recommendations though. We'll see what actually happens when all the decisions are final.

This does not impact private anglers correct?

Unguided anglers, both resident and non-resident, in 2c and 3a, will remain at 2 halibut a day.

The 3A ( Gulf of Alaska) rule is likely to be 2 fish, of which one is any size and the second fish will be somewhere between 29-35" depending on what the IPHC commissioners decide how much halibut they feel is acceptable to take out of the ocean. Also there will not retention of halibut by captain and crew and only one trip per boat, per day will be allowed in this area.

2C will likely be under 44" or over 76" Give or take a couple of inches, depending on what the IPHC does as well.

This is the best we could do, with the hand we were dealt. In 3A we absorbed over a 30% reduction and we will still kept a 2 fish limit. Actually 3A is down in harvest by over 60% from where we were ten years ago.

I'm curious how it works. How does does the gaf figure in if you have a 2 fish limit, 1 of a smaller size? Can you "gaf" that fish up to any size, or does gaf only come into play with a 1 fish limit?

Also, I heard a rumor that once the Catch Sharing Plan was implemented, that they could legally allow guides to keep sportfish limits of fish. (other than halibut) Any truth to that?

Sorry I am still in this meeting…. If you want to use GAF you can use it to get the charter harvest back to the private boat limit. So you can use a guided angler fish if you angler catches a larger second fish and wants to keep it.

no retention of halibut by captain and crew. Thats all from here.

I know this is a tough deal, if you are in Anchorage you should come by the Hilton and listen the IPHC report on the state of the halibut resource………This is a very difficult time for anyone depending on the halibut resource. I took no pleasure in taking part in this decision.

So help me out please. Is this a done deal for the charter fleet? I like the one trip per day for halibut charters and no crew retention.

This is Federal law.