Thread: .35 Gibbs trixie mississipi

Default .35 Gibbs trixie mississipi

I have just picked up a 35 Gibbs with douglas barrel, sythetic stock etc. I was looking for a whelan but the deal was interesting. I had read on a old forum that a fellow with the moniker Trixie mississipi had experience loading for the 35 Gibbs. I have some handloads but the given data seems a little hot. If anyone has any info at all I would be most grateful.

The round looks a little like a 35 Whelen Ackley. I live in Northern Canada and thought a 35 would be ideal for Moose and Elk hunting and bear protection, not hunting, if necessary.

Default 35 Gibbs

Gibber,

I have not seen this one but have heard of it, but can't come up with any reference for it. I have owned and loaded for the 30 Gibbs.

The 30 Gibbs is basically a 30-06 case but is slightly longer. Ken Howell's book of custom cartridge design shows the 30 but not the 35 Gibbs. The 30 is 2.502" long compared to the 2.494 length of the 30-06, no significant amount. The the '06 brass works fine, or Whelen brass for the 35.
    The Gibbs have minimum body taper and a shorter neck and 35 degree shoulder. It would require forming a false shoulder of larger caliber, forty would work, to headspace then fire forming. So you would need to neck up the Whelen brass to 40 caliber or .416, depending on what you have for dies. When making brass for the 30 Gibbs I just resized the 35 whelen brass and that left a shoulder of 35 caliber to headspace on. This can be done but is not a task for the beginning handloader.

You say you have data that seems hot? Did it come with ammo, brass or dies? I would say with a lot of confidence that 35 Whelen/Ackley improved data would be light for the Gibbs. I shoot an Ackley 30-06 and I shot the 30 Gibbs side by side with it and the Gibbs would out run it at comparable pressure levels. You have an interesting caliber there, and it is capable of handling all manner of game found in your neck of the woods.
    Good luck with it and good shootin'.

You might find Brass at this place. http://www.qual-cart.com/headstamp.htm

Murphy

Default 35 Gibbs

Murphy

Thanks for your reply. I have dies and some brass for the rifle so no biggie there . I was going to expand with a 375 HH expander and size down with my .35 Gibbs dies and fireform.

As far as load data goes what is the difference between .35 improved and 35 Ackley improved? I have suggested loads of 55.0g IMR 4895 at 2625 fps for 35 Improved and a 250grain spitzer. I would be more than happy with this from the GIbbs as long as it is accurate. I have a chrono and can work to that level.

When you state "I would say with a lot of confidence that 35 Whelen/Ackley improved data would be light for the Gibbs" Do you mean on the light load side ie: a good place to start my loads or is that a typo and you mean "about right"

Thanks again for the link to quart cal they have .35 gibbs listed as coming soon which will be super if it happens before Elk season. I just hope I can get brass posted to Canada.

Thanks again, Dan

Default Gibbs loads

Dan,

Yes I mean the 35 Whelen Ackley loads should be a place to start for the 35 Gibbs. The Gibbs case will hold more powder and with the same load as the Whelen/Ackley then the pressure and velocity will be less. Good luck with that one and enjoy the loading. Let us know what you get from the chronograph with your loads. Good shootin.

Murphy

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Rocky Gibbs never made a 35 Gibbs. He went as far as 338 and that was it.

Default Rocky Gibbs

Allen,

Actually he only made from 24 to 30 caliber, so the 30 Gibbs is the largest caliber. I think we have already established that, but if you put the shoulder angle and position on a 30-06 case and neck to 35 caliber, what do you have? Ackley never made many of the so called Ackley Improved calibers either, such as the 6mm Rem AI, the 284 Win, AI, and the 280 Rem AI, he was gone before they came out, but we still call them that because they have the 40 degree shoulder and maintain the original headspace datum with most of the taper removed. You see how that goes.

Gibber,

The Gibbs family has a 35 degree shoulder and a very short neck of only .250" with an overall case length of 2.502". It is a 30-06 case but is best made from 30-06 basic brass which is cylindrical and can be made to any caliber from .416" (My 416 Moose Masher) to .224" and if you run it into a sizing die that will neck it to 35 caliber with the Gibbs shoulder, etc, you will have 35 Gibbs.

There are many other variations of improved cartridges and all will reduce the taper of the standard case and alter the neck and shoulder in some way. There are versions with 25, 28, 30 and 35, as well as 40 degree shoulders of the '06 case and possibly others. The Ackley versions are the only ones that maintain the original headspace datum point. Which means standard factory ammo can be fired safely in the Ackley chambers. But, many of them are made by rechambering improperly and will have excessive headspace until they are fire formed. Most of the others will require the forming of a false shoulder to provide headspace until they are fire formed. This step scares most handloaders because they don't fully understand the differences in the chambers. When making the brass you must first form a shoulder of, as you say 375 or 40 caliber, but don't push the shoulder back enough to even allow the empty case to chamber, then turn the die in slightly, a little at a time, until the bolt will close with some force and this is pushing your new shoulder into the chamber and this is good headspace. With this technique it doesn't matter if the chamber meets the original designers specs or not, it will fit the chamber when fired. If you can get some 30-06 basic brass from Huntingtons, you can just run it into the 35 Gibbs sizing die, with it backed off just enough to not chamber then in until the bolt will close. That's about as good as it will get.

This case will hold about 5 grains more than the standard 35 Whelen case and has no real practical advantage of the Whelen but you have it and it will do everything the Whelen will do. It is also fun to tinker with the odd balls once in a while. I've also played with some of the Newton calibers and the 30 offers about 25 grains more capacity over the 30-06, a true beltless magnum. But brass is made from 8x68 brass and it isn't easy to find. I bought my first one with about 200 pieces of stamped Newton brass made by Western Cartridge. Enjoy your new caliber and good shootin'.

Murphy

Default 35 Gibber

This is in response to your post of June 27th. I have Gibbs catelog and loading data book. There was no 35 Gibbs. The highest he went is 338, and didn't promote that cartridge, as, as he put it, there is not enough powder room in the case to improve it. I can provide you with his data for loading the 338 Gibbs, which should give you a start. I presume you have loading dies for your cartridge. Gibbs would often deliberatly give out erroneous information on the shoulder shape of his cartridges, as he didn't want anyone else chambering for them.

If you want the information on the 338 Gibbs, contact me, and I'll either e-mail it to you, or photocopy it and send it along.

Default trixie Mississippi

gibber- You have a jewell and you can use a 35 whelen load plus 6 or 7 % not 5 grains you know 5 grains is 10% so stay with 5 0r 7 to be safe.
    I can tell you ;that reloader 15 is the powder for the 35 gibbs made on the O6 case. have a great day. a note do not use BLc #2 powder in this gun.
    the data is wrong and I have contacted Hodgdon about this.. I can say my 35 gibbs is as powerful as the 338 win mag and almost the 358 Norma. it is not a toy and it will take all but the largest African game.

Default 35 gibbs and reloader 15

Thanks for all of your replies.

TrixieM, I have no data at all for the 35 Gibbs. I had intended to start with .35 Ackley starting loads and IMR 4895 and hornady 250 sp. Do you have any other info data you are willing to share? I would love to know the true origin of this cartridge. I have RCBS dies/douglas barrel and quality cartridge list it as coming soon soon it must have been somewhat popular to justify the production. I am intrigue by Reloader 15 as it sems to give top performance in similar sized cases. Moose season is less than six weeks away so I have to get to the range and get this thing in to action soon.

Thanks, Dan

Default Hello fellow 35 gibbs yes data and the beginning of the 35 gibbs

It all started with the 35 Brown Whelen in the P O Ackley era and he says the 35 gibbs or 35 BW is a mighty fine round. his book says 64 gr of 4550 with a 250 will do 2700 I cannot get this in my gibbs, but with 62 gr. of Reloader 15 I can get 2760 with the 250 and 2850 with a 225 nosler Partiticon and it is a very good accurate shooter... I use a 35 neck expander die from hornady and a set of 35 whelen dies from the same and I use only the seating die.
    I can shoot all game I hunt in N A with the 35 gibbs and even have some 285 swift bullets one tough hunk of lead at 2580 not enough velocity for the 200 yard shot needed in some cases. I have tried about all the powders and the only one close to r-15 is varget.. do not use Blc#2 . It has about the same burning rate but is has caused some stuck cases.. so I hope this is helpful to you and If you have any question please contact me... Oh I used 63 grains with the 225, and I also use 280 remington cases as my chamber is a bit long.. your however may be 2,494 however mine is 2,540 . I can honestly tell you that this gun is ahead of the 338 winchester and a pleasure to shoot.. Oh one other thing I have not flattened one primer and have little case streaching and I am shooting at 85 to 90 degrees.. so You can let em have it with your gibbs.. Trixie