Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are AR style rifles still legal???

Default Are AR style rifles still legal???

I don't usually do this but I have an admiration for these "modern sporting" rifles. ( I hate that term, but I also hate that I need a treasury stamp to buy any of those on the list.)
    Anyway this particular rifle is on the mid to upper end of the price range so I'd like to hear some first hand opinions or form some more knowledgable than my self about these. (And I do have a little knowledge)

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_M4-SBR-L.html

It's is a 14.5" but with a pinned muzzle device so no stamp required. Price is about $1700. Mil-spec parts but receiver is non-standard. Which is what I like. No specific purpose in mind just another shooter.

If it's still 'ok' to discuss these rifles on this forum, I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Yes it's still legal no stamps required.

No stamp required on this forum?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Ask here. These people eat, sleep, and breath ARs. There is is no other gun to some of them.

http://www.thehighroad.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    ... If it's still 'ok' to discuss these rifles on this forum, I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.
    I think it is. Just don't discuss the 2nd Amendment. Apparently, that's verboten. And, it's also the reason I don't post much here anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Iím no AR guy but I believe that receiver is made by Sun Devil in Mesa Arizona, they seem to hold a patient on that tension screw. I have one here looking for a home but she has a 24Ē bull and a cheap stock on it . . . very long list of high end everything else but the stock.
    Sun Deval AR.jpg

Very good receiver, real accrete and not very cheap.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Iím no AR guy but I believe that receiver is made by Sun Devil in Mesa Arizona, they seem to hold a patient on that tension screw. I have one here looking for a home but she has a 24Ē bull and a cheap stock on it . . . very long list of high end everything else but the stock.
    Sun Deval AR.jpg

Thanks Andy. I have only handle a couple of these never had any trigger time with one but was impressed with a few of the traits of that receiver also. Don't know who makes the barrel but the receiver is robust and internals are slick. Maybe a Sun Deval upper & lower to build on would be a good start?

I have to say frankly that AR's bore me spitless, as do semi's in general. But I'm happy to see them here. My lack of interest in no way reflects on anyone but me, and I'm delighted to see enthusiasts have the opportunity to share experiences and learn. Keep it coming.

No stamp required on this forum?
    You should be alright, just keep your eye out for a couple of the local libs that do post here.

Avoid the bullet button, you'll hate it. LOL. I know that's only for idiot states that have instituted ineffective and pointless feel good laws.

I'm new here, so I can tell there is some sarcasm to the OP, but not sure where the line is drawn. Forgive me if it went over my head. My ONLY issue with proprietary parts is that you tend to be locked into that brand. That's not a bad thing really, but you know the advice go in eyes wide open. If you buy Fred's Magic Receiver bolt and it breaks for some reason, you gotta buy another Fred's Magic Receiver bolt. If it's not proprietary, you can buy anyone's. Still not a bad thing, just know what you're getting.

One of the biggest benefits to the AR platform is the modularity and flexibility. Love it or hate it, you can pull the upper off and put about any caliber upper on it you want. (Almost.) Heck, with nothing more than a barrel swap you can be shooting a .458 Socom.

I assure you there are few people on this forum......"Myself Included".....That have as much firearms knowledge as "Murphy". As my friend Bob Reeve would tell me nearly every day, "David, never say someone is the very best, Always say,I don't know who the best is, But so&so is at least second best".
    So from that background I'll state, "Murphy" is at least the second most knowledgeable about firearms".

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I'm new here, so I can tell there is some sarcasm to the OP, but not sure where the line is drawn. .

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I assure you there are few people on this forum......"Myself Included".....That have as much firearms knowledge as "Murphy". As my friend Bob Reeve would tell me nearly every day, "David, never say someone is the very best, Always say,I don't know who the best is, But so&so is at least second best".
    So from that background I'll state, "Murphy" is at least the second most knowledgeable about firearms".
    Got it! Thank you.

Thanks Andy. I have only handle a couple of these never had any trigger time with one but was impressed with a few of the traits of that receiver also. Don't know who makes the barrel but the receiver is robust and internals are slick. Maybe a Sun Deval upper & lower to build on would be a good start?
    Itís a very good receiver well worth a higher end build. Only gripe I have with it is the mag well isnít brooch cut, it functions fine though so itís just ticky-tacky nitpicking from the eye of a machinist . . . Average Joe shooter wouldnít even see what IĎm talking about if I pointed to it and the radius left in the corners does add strength.
    http://www.sundevilmfg.com/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I have to say frankly that AR's bore me spitless, . . .
    Me too as a gun. I do appreciate and enjoy the engineering and art involved in the individual parts but as a whole I just have no passion at all about them. Iím happy others love them, they are very good guns but the fun they give me is in the puzzle pieces not the finished puzzle.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    I think it is. Just don't discuss the 2nd Amendment. Apparently, that's verboten. And, it's also the reason I don't post much here anymore.
    Yep, it's gotten sterile. Total pc and that's all that rolls...

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I'm new here, so I can tell there is some sarcasm to the OP, but not sure where the line is drawn. Forgive me if it went over my head.
    Just a joke in reference to a forum war (minor skirmish in internet terms really) we had about ARs and gun rights following the use of a Bushmaster in a school shooting. Lines were drawn, people angered, and the subject banned.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just a joke in reference to a forum war (minor skirmish in internet terms really) we had about ARs and gun rights following the use of a Bushmaster in a school shooting. Lines were drawn, people angered, and the subject banned.
    Makes sense. Now. LOL.

I'm in the middle of a total custom AR build that would really make the ninnies wet themselves...(And not because it's tacticool) Just need my upper to finish it off.

Murphy good to see you check back in. You must of been on a long vacation.

What is that hand guard.......how long.......who makes.......???

Sun Deval AR.jpg

I picked up two of these over the weekend......http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=380328331

This gun is a special build for us from Noveske. It has a 20Ē 1/8 twist bbl with an NSR Rail Platform, Geissele Trigger, Vltor imod stock, and BCM Gun Fighter Charging Handle.

Now I need to order two 16.7" handguards and a 20" Noveske 6.8 SPC barrel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast