Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailing my rifle and ammo to Alaska

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default Mailing my rifle and ammo to Alaska

I have mailed my rifle and ammunition to Alaska from New York State and back home via the P.O. several times in the past few years. I always addressed it to myself at the guides or outfitters address. Is this still legally acceptable with all the new gun restrictions???? I mailed it in a sealed hard gun case. Never have had any problems before. Does anyone positively know what is legal and what is not??? THANKS!!!

Why not give a call to the USPS? Everyone else will be a guess

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

If you mailed ammo without paying hazmat fee,probably not legal for very long time. Rifles yes ship to self.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

i think unless you posses an FFL, then you are required to ship to a legal FFl holder. otherwise its illegal. I may be wrong, but that's how I've always had guns sent here or there. and Amigo Will is right about the ammo, have to pay hazmat or its very illegal, i think its because they land ship ammo, its not supposed to fly up here because of the danger

You can ship to yourself, or to someone else's address labeled "care of you". BUT THEY CANNOT OPEN THE PACKAGE, ONLY YOU CAN. That is what I came up with when I was looking to ship a rifle out of state last spring. The safest way, to avoid any question would be ship to FFL, but it is legal according to the ATF to ship it to yourself. I agree with Amigo, I wouldnt ship ammo, I would travel with it in my checked luggage.

From the ATF FAQ page:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Link:

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-...censed-persons

Best option, ship up your guns, and then drive up with all of your other belongings and just stay here! Then you wont need to worry about shipping your guns back and forth

I wish the internet existed. That way people could look up laws and such. I wish we lived in a country that had an interest in keeping its citizens at least partially informed. These are dark times we live in.

From Publication 52, Appendix D
    Ammunition includes all kinds of bombs, grenades, rockets, mines, projectiles, and other similar devices or contrivances. Ammunition is a Class 1 explosive and is nonmailable.

Maybe in the past it was classed as ORM-D and shipped surface only, but we do not have surface only in AK. Up here it will be going on a plane and thus not allowed in the USPS system.

Publication 52, Mailability I recommend going through the whole section starting on the previous page, and even checking out the old law refered to. Its what every gun owner should read.

I will be shipping my rifle to myself, as always, and bring the ammo along in my checked baggage. Thank you for your imput.

It's legal, but depending where in the country you ship from you will get varying reactions. When dad died I sent all his guns to myself. The look on the postal worker's face when I told her what was in the packages was priceless. She looked at me like I had just bombed a village.

Edit; another thing I learned the hard way is a rifle bolt is apparently a deadly weapon. When taking my gun on the plane I took the bolt out of it, and carried in my carry on... just seemed logical to render the firearm unusable. That is not how TSA saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Edit; another thing I learned the hard way is a rifle bolt is apparently a deadly weapon. When taking my gun on the plane I took the bolt out of it, and carried in my carry on... just seemed logical to render the firearm unusable. That is not how TSA saw it.

I did the same exact thing. Luckily in my case there was an aquaintance in the crowd that I could hand it too and have him mail it to me at my destination. Crazy world these TSA people have created...

The reason I shipped my gun and ammo together far in advance of my hunts was I shipped all my gear up early. I generally only travelled with a carry-on. Changing airlines is a royal pain sometime and waiting and hoping for your packed luggage can be iffy especially if you are short between plane swaps. I will work it out as I always have in the past. THANKS!!!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I've always been told you can put ammo in your checked bag, so long as it is in the manufactures packaging. I've flown with it a few times that way.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I've always been told you can put ammo in your checked bag, so long as it is in the manufactures packaging. I've flown with it a few times that way.
    Yes, you can carry it in your checked bag. I flew from Anc the other day with a bunch in my luggage. You just have to declare it when you check in.

Just be sure that you check the amount of ammo allowed per person. It was 11 pounds a few years ago when I flew some up. I was over by 2 pounds and had to wait for airport police to cone pick it up to later destroy it. I almost shed a tear handing a box of 10 gauge ammo off knowing its fate:-(

ADFields just sent me an email on tis very topic. I'll post my response here. I've heard from many people for many years that I can mail my guns (long guns) to myself. I've never been able to do it. I've tried it from FL, TX, and AK and, in every case, the supervisor at the post office refused to accept the gun. It was always packaged, as someone described, in a hardcase and in a cardboard box. After I got denied mailing a gun from the airport post office in Anchorage, I finally just gave up. I buy a plane ticket and bring it up as a checked bag now. Took 4 trips to get them all up here.

FL: thanks for sharing your experince with this. The Wasilla PO was (one of?) the first to tell me about mailing long guns to myself. I'd thought about bringing them up on the ferry (load safe and all in the back of a PU) as I don't think CN will allow me to bring several of them through there {and the Wife wants to play tourist on the drive up & I don't feel good about having a truck full of guns, tools, etc. sitting somewhere in CN}, but....$$$$$ for the ferry makes that less than desirable. PO was my backup plan.

AKair has helped me move some of them...

FedEx will ship to your self doing next day air.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I did the same exact thing. Luckily in my case there was an aquaintance in the crowd that I could hand it too and have him mail it to me at my destination. Crazy world these TSA people have created...

oh boy. I have a few opinions about TSA ...it's Christmas, I'll hold off.

Yea, to be honest I can't recall what solution I came up with, I think I had to send the bolt home.

I don't know about FedEx, Kabob. I sent an AR across the country to Compass Lake Eng. They were expecting it, so I had to get it in the "mail". FedEx was a megabucks experience! I don't remember exactly how much it was, but above $100 for me, one complete AR and a heavy barrel; the local office made me ship it next day air. CLE shipped it back to me, after doing their "magic" to it, regular FedEx for around $20 or $30. This was a while back. Don't know what they'd charge today. I haven't shipped anything with them after this. Stuff comes to the house in their truck, so they must give a good deal to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    ADFields just sent me an email on tis very topic. I'll post my response here. I've heard from many people for many years that I can mail my guns (long guns) to myself. I've never been able to do it. I've tried it from FL, TX, and AK and, in every case, the supervisor at the post office refused to accept the gun. It was always packaged, as someone described, in a hardcase and in a cardboard box. After I got denied mailing a gun from the airport post office in Anchorage, I finally just gave up. I buy a plane ticket and bring it up as a checked bag now. Took 4 trips to get them all up here.
    I have mailed several rifles and shotguns to myself with no issues. I use the factory boxes or boxes I have made, wrapped in kraft paper with no outer markerings. I say nothing when mailing it. No issues at all in CO, OR, WA, ID, or AK. The process is in the USPS Publication 52 and as long as the long arm and you are in compliance with the 1968 NFA you are good to go.

Most gun cases (at least all I own that are not take down shotgun cases) are over the maximum size allowed for USPS when the three dimensions are added up. And if that box the case is in shows it to be a gun case then you are not in compliance with Publication 52.

Why don't you just check it in at the airlines? A scoped rifle in a case is going to cost at least $50 to mail with insurance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast