Thread: Looking for a reliable outfit to rent an IRIDIUM satellite phone from

Default Looking for a reliable outfit to rent an IRIDIUM satellite phone from

I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I'm planning a drop camp Caribou hunt now for next fall in unit 23. I've been told that the IRIDIUM/Motorola sat phones are the best bet that far north due to the path/location of their satellites. Has anyone had a good or bad experience with any of the rental places in Anchorage or any of the mail-order rental sites? Thanks, Dave

Just make sure the battery is fully charged before you take it on you're trip. Yes I speak from experence.

Try surveyor's exchange in anchorage. reliable sat phone rentals

lb

Surveyors exchange for sure.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Anchoragesatellitephones.com

There are tons of websites who will rent one and fedex to your location. Im sure you could fedex it your transporter before you fly out

Be careful of the out of state renters. I had to one year due to lack of planning on my part. They charged me for a week then charged me a lot more for the time it took to fed ex it back in the box they provided. It was 3 or 4 extra days at 25 a pop. The two listed above are reliable and I use Surveyors Exchance and never had a problem. Anchorage Satyellite phones is run by the guy that use to run surveyors Exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Just make sure the battery is fully charged before you take it on you're trip. Yes I speak from experience.
    I've thought about this one. It would make more sense to design these phones to use AA batteries. A sat phone only works if it has power. My camera I always buy to use AA batteries.. if they were out, you replace them.. GPS... same.

ANC Sat Phones comes with two batteries that last two hours each for a total talk time of four hours? That should do it I would think.

yea, as long as the batteries don't fail... and 95 times out of a 100 they don't. Thing is they are specialty bats... double AAs are more easily found... and fit many things you need on a wilderness trip... GPS... other.

Just makes more sense to me, but it is what it is. My phone has two bats.. one is not as good as the other... would prefer to be able to use double AAs.

Default We rent properly set up phones

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I'm planning a drop camp Caribou hunt now for next fall in unit 23. I've been told that the IRIDIUM/Motorola sat phones are the best bet that far north due to the path/location of their satellites. Has anyone had a good or bad experience with any of the rental places in Anchorage or any of the mail-order rental sites? Thanks, Dave
    Hi David, GlobaFone has been renting satellite phones for 15 years. Our rates are competitive, our service the best and you can even pick up a solar charger and spare battery with your rental. Feel free to contact me and I'll send you our Rental Agreement so you can decide for yourself. l-dot-altman-at-globafone.com. Or call us six-oh-three-four-three-three-seven-two-three-two. More than happy to help you.

I am a non resident also and have made many trips to Alaska. I've had great experience using Mobal and will use them again next time. It was nice having the phone in hand and charged prior to leaving home and not having to deal with returning it until we were back home. There's already enough to worry about with travel, TSA, making connections, shuttling to accommodations etc. No need to add dealing with the phone rental to the mix.

Default Buy a used one, avoid shipping costs and hastles

I rented several times and got tired of dealing with shipping hastles and costs to both get it and send it back, plus the extra days of rental during shipping. One year the company I was using ran out of phones. Although I set things up way in advance, I guess someone was late returning their rental. They got it to me the morning I left but stuck me with overnight shipping charges!
    One of the best things I've ever done to make my hunts easier is buy a used Sat phone on ebay. Honestly, there are always older models for $200 and up. Just buy a one month card with 75 minutes of talk time for $140 for your hunt. New batteries can be found for $10. I take 3 just in case I forget to turn the phone off and one gets run down by accident. If you never are going to need the phone again, put it back up on ebay and get most of your money back.
    Brian