Thread: Two brothers making it happen

Default Two brothers making it happen

My brother and I decided to give one of the registration moose hunts a try on Saturday. We loaded up early in the morning and hit the trails. We were looking by 9:30am, and seeing lots of sign, but no moose. Lots of other hunters zipping around as well, so we decided to head into areas with no fresh snowmachine sign. Soon we noticed all of the moose sign was in the willows, and we could tell what was fresh from the freezing rain we got the night before. We slowly motored through and came up on our first moose. A mature cow about 300 yards out. We tried stalking in on foot, but the crunchy snow and wind at our backs screwed us. A 50"+ bull walked out of the willows behind her and after a while of trying to close the distance, we realized it just wasn't going to happen.

A half hour or so later, we come up on two guys that had just shot a moose each. One was bedded and the other standing, both mature cows. They shot the standing one, then the bedded one stood up and they knocked it down too. We congratulated them and kept on. 10 minutes later I break out into an opening, and noticed several moose headed towards the willows. We shut the machines off and worked in closer, which is when I noticed that there were about 10 moose in the herd. A couple of small bulls, a couple cows with calves and a few lone cows. We had a shot at one around 200 yards, but I scoped it with the bino's first and sure enough it had small spike antlers. With the moose disappearing in the willows, we decided to creep up closer when I noticed a cow off to the left. My brother took a shot, but later told me he thought she was a few hundred yards out and held just above her. I realized she was within 100-150 yards, and held right on her shoulder. The .243 dropper her in her tracks. A quick finishing shot was needed when we got up to her, and as we pulled up, another cow jumped up from the brush just behind her. We figured one was enough and let it move off through the willows.

I quickly took the guts out of the moose, and we gave it a try to load her whole into a medium sized otter sled. It worked great! The troopers super cub buzzed over head, and 10 minutes later two troopers showed up on snowmachines. They checked us out, and decided to have some lunch as my brother and I wrapped things up to get out of there. 4 ratchet straps holding the moose it were tightened down, and my sled held all the gear.

We got turned around a bit out there and couldn't find the line back to our trail head. We spent about an hour and found a new way back to the roads, which actually turned out to be a good thing as we found a new way in and out of the area that I like quite a bit more. The Otter Sled held up great, and we were able to skin out the moose like a bear rug back home in a warm garage. Am I able to sell this thing to somebody wanting to do a full body mount?

Sunday, my brothers family came over and we all spent 4-5 hours processing meat. Nearly everything is done except one hind quarter that we'll wrap up Monday night. It sure was a blessing to have this registration opportunity. We hadn't gotten a moose this year, so we are relieved to finally have some meat for our families. I had an awesome day with my brother. The weather was perfect, right around 30 all day and light winds. Partly cloudy with plenty of sun and we put 44 miles on the machines.

Congrats on the brother hunting and meat for the winter
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Awesome job I'm still laughing at the Moose Bear Rug. Contact the local taxidermists about the hide could be worth from $500-$1000 depending on the buyer call Knights Taxidermy last.

Congrats on you Moose.

Awesome stuff. Which registration hunt was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Fantastic Jerry! Glad to hear of your success! Didn't know Mathews came in a .243 ;-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Great story glad it worked out for your family

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

This was the Minto hunt. I think they are real close to closing it down though. There were a dozen or so left to be taken as of Saturday and we saw a few killed while we were out there and lots of hunters were buzzing around.

I spoke to a couple taxidermists and it's not real promising to be able to pass this hide along.

Yup, three days left, but 2&1/2 hours of light left today. Better call in sick tomorrow!

Antlerless moose hunting in the Minto Flats Management Area portion of Unit 20B
    (RM785) will close at 11:59 pm on Wednesday night, December 11, 2013.
    As of Monday, hunter reports indicated that 70 cow moose had been taken since the
    season opened October 15. The harvest quota for the registration permit hunt is 80-100
    cow moose.

Talk to Gary with Alpha Furs in Anchorage.

Sent you a PM.

Some good eats there. Perfect hunt.

How in hail did you stuff her into an Otter sled???? }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Mike, just saw your pm. I'll give you a shout tonight.

bullbuster, when we pulled the sled up next to her, we both thought there was no way. We tilted the sled on its side and worked it slightly under her, the both grabbed legs and rolled her over into it. She flopped right in, and we started to ratchet her down. Having her strapped down as much as we did made a big difference I think. We went on some real narrow trails which I'm sure legs and the head would have snagged on otherwise. It's great to know that we can do it this way for the future. My brother pulled it out with his 440 Panther, so it doesn't take much power to get it moving.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

jerod.. please take the time to email this to John Coghill and CLick Bishop.. i started a thread on it here with all the info..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    My brother and I decided to give one of the registration moose hunts a try on Saturday. We loaded up early in the morning and hit the trails. We were looking by 9:30am, and seeing lots of sign, but no moose. Lots of other hunters zipping around as well, so we decided to head into areas with no fresh snowmachine sign. Soon we noticed all of the moose sign was in the willows, and we could tell what was fresh from the freezing rain we got the night before. We slowly motored through and came up on our first moose. A mature cow about 300 yards out. We tried stalking in on foot, but the crunchy snow and wind at our backs screwed us. A 50"+ bull walked out of the willows behind her and after a while of trying to close the distance, we realized it just wasn't going to happen.

A half hour or so later, we come up on two guys that had just shot a moose each. One was bedded and the other standing, both mature cows. They shot the standing one, then the bedded one stood up and they knocked it down too. We congratulated them and kept on. 10 minutes later I break out into an opening, and noticed several moose headed towards the willows. We shut the machines off and worked in closer, which is when I noticed that there were about 10 moose in the herd. A couple of small bulls, a couple cows with calves and a few lone cows. We had a shot at one around 200 yards, but I scoped it with the bino's first and sure enough it had small spike antlers. With the moose disappearing in the willows, we decided to creep up closer when I noticed a cow off to the left. My brother took a shot, but later told me he thought she was a few hundred yards out and held just above her. I realized she was within 100-150 yards, and held right on her shoulder. The .243 dropper her in her tracks. A quick finishing shot was needed when we got up to her, and as we pulled up, another cow jumped up from the brush just behind her. We figured one was enough and let it move off through the willows.

I quickly took the guts out of the moose, and we gave it a try to load her whole into a medium sized otter sled. It worked great! The troopers super cub buzzed over head, and 10 minutes later two troopers showed up on snowmachines. They checked us out, and decided to have some lunch as my brother and I wrapped things up to get out of there. 4 ratchet straps holding the moose it were tightened down, and my sled held all the gear.

We got turned around a bit out there and couldn't find the line back to our trail head. We spent about an hour and found a new way back to the roads, which actually turned out to be a good thing as we found a new way in and out of the area that I like quite a bit more. The Otter Sled held up great, and we were able to skin out the moose like a bear rug back home in a warm garage. Am I able to sell this thing to somebody wanting to do a full body mount?

Sunday, my brothers family came over and we all spent 4-5 hours processing meat. Nearly everything is done except one hind quarter that we'll wrap up Monday night. It sure was a blessing to have this registration opportunity. We hadn't gotten a moose this year, so we are relieved to finally have some meat for our families. I had an awesome day with my brother. The weather was perfect, right around 30 all day and light winds. Partly cloudy with plenty of sun and we put 44 miles on the machines.

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'll be around this evening. Give me a call...
    Mike

Jerod,

Give me a call. I'm around this evening and will be in and out tomarrow....

I'd be interested in that cow hide for sure. give me a shout. I'll pm you my number.