Thread: bullet placement handgun moose

Default bullet placement handgun moose

I know placement on bears I first shoot them in the shoulder and then the lungs . I typically would shoot moose in the lungs with my rifle but I am going to try handgunning this year with a 454 casull. Open sights shots no more than 100 yard and yes i can accurately shoot at this range consistenly I will be shooting the 260 grain partition at 1800 fps so I am thinking do you bust a shoulder and then do the lungs or lung him and shoot again until hes down . My experience with rifle is if you lung them they normally rest up and fall over in 30 seconds to a minute so any input apreciated Would like to hear from people that have killed moose with a handgun and thier experience. I wont be using a hard cast bullet because these noslers always work for me and the core stays together and the load shoots awesome in my gun. thanks

Blackbear bullet placement for hand gun hunting is the same as rifle hunting. put your shot in the boiler room. Just behind the shoulder and a little above the mid point of the torso. BTW Handgun hunting for moose= big time fun and excitement

Default Bullet placement on moose

Moose are not difficult to kill as long as your shot placement is good. IMHO they are not nearly as difficult as bears. I do not prefer open sights or handguns for most of the hunting I do. I would question my ability to consistently place the bullet on target with a handgun. But, you said you can do it, so who am I to judge? For those other than yourself I would urge caution. You have to do A LOT of shooting with your handgun to get consistent results, especially with open sights and no rest. Not very many of us can do that.

As was mentioned, shot placement for handguns is no different than for rifles. For a good refresher on this, I would suggest Craig Boddington's "Perfect Shots" series. Get the one for North American game of course.

Hope it helps.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Well said Micheal in fact I will be using my 300 mag this year, with a new baby I just haven't been able too keep my weekly range dates and I will not chance placing anything but a humane shot.

Heart and Double Lungs < Scapula ? Probably not, not that I'm an expert but thats what all the experts tell me..
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default always use a rest unless super close

I always use a rest unless 25 yards or closer i can hit without but if there is a tree nearby or a rock or my pack you get the idea with all the time you have to spend to make sure the bull is legal you have time to find a rest before you shoot . I was thinking the lung shot would be best just a little unsure I think my questions were answered thanks.

Thumbs up .454 on moose

Your choice of a .454 Casull for moose is excellent. The heart/lung shot is deadly. However, 100 yards with ANY handgun is pushing it. A moose is a huge animal, and if you have never seen or hunted them, they may really be deceptive, so a range-finder should be part of your gear. Makes a HUGE difference if the moose you think is at 75 yards is really at 130.......

I wouldn't hesitate to take any moose with a .454, as Mike said, they are not that hard to kill.

260 grainers are fine, but I shoot 300 grainers in mine.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    260 grain partition at 1800 fps so I am thinking do you bust a shoulder and then do the lungs or lung him and shoot again until hes down
    Your 454 Casull is a formatable weapon for sure, but I'd be surprised if it were stout enough to bust a moose sholder and continue on into the lungs. I suggest you "lung him" first, then he's dead even if he don't realize it for a while. Follow up shots to keep trailing to a minimum would be a good thing if possible.

Shotplacement is the same as rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
    Your 454 Casull is a formatable weapon for sure, but I'd be surprised if it were stout enough to bust a moose sholder and continue on into the lungs. I suggest you "lung him" first, then he's dead even if he don't realize it for a while. Follow up shots to keep trailing to a minimum would be a good thing if possible.
    A hardcast bullet will sail right through them.
    Now what ?

Default .454 on moose

The .454 is plenty powerful to penetrate a moose completely. As has been said, use good bullets, and practice, practice, practice.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???