Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Scope?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default What kind of Scope?

Gentlemen:
    As most of you know, I am a rather impulsive sort, so I often need advice.

I have a Remington 700 BDL rifle chambered for 7mm Remington Magnum. It has a beautiful stock and is quite accurate.

My plan is to modify it for an upcoming Safari to Africa, when my Ship Comes In.

I plan to use it for Cape Buffalo out to 600 yards, yet it must be made Handier so it will be suitable for closer shots also. I will also need to make it lighter in weight, so I wonít forget to take it with me, when I go hunting.

I will of course, shorten the barrel to 16.25 inches, or whatever is the Legal limit.

It will certainly need a Muzzle Brake so my 6 year old Grandson can shoot it too, and it will he HIS gun when I assume room temperature. Please be patient with me on that last part.

It must have a telescoping Butt Stock, like I see on the ARís, so I can make it shorter to fit his small stature, and grow with him.

The shorter barrel will be more accurate, and the velocity loss shouldnít be greater than 75 fps, using a 120 grain bullet. The lighter bullet, I feel is necessary to reduce the recoil for my grandson.

I will, of course, insist that he wear ear protection when he shoots this rifle in itís completed form. He already has a stocking cap.

Iím pretty sure that this rifle will also be useful for starting brush fires, if I need to do that. I figger that very few Cape Buffalo will want to charge through a wall of Flames.

Of course, Andy will do all the work, as he is quite capable and innovative.

Iíve got it all figgered out except for choice of rifle scope, but Iím open to any ideas and suggestions, also.

The decisions thus far have been easy because Iíve been reading this forum for a long time, but deciding what kind of Rifle Scope has got me stumped.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I would go with a tasco 2x

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Pop the scope off of this one and keep the rifle for your lion gun.

Put a Chinese knock-off eotech on it.

If you are shooting out to 600 yards you defiantly need a NcStar. They are so cheap you can just replace it with a new one after each shot!
    You really had me going for a minute lol.

How about you just buy this one and not pick on ole dead eye. Itís a mighty thudy-thudy, you can clamp an assortment of scopes on to the better your odds of having one you like.
    http://www.mossberg.com/rifle-calibers/30-30-win
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I forgot to mention.

The scope has to cost more than the rifle.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    How about you just buy this one and not pick on ole dead eye. Itís a mighty thudy-thudy, you can clamp an assortment of scopes on to the better your odds of having one you like.
    http://www.mossberg.com/rifle-calibers/30-30-win
    The butt stock is probably what I'm looking for, but I don't think the stock would fit a BA.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Pop the scope off of this one and keep the rifle for your lion gun.
    I don't do enough lion to justify a special gun for just that.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Well, if you're going to shorten the barrel that much , you better go to a wildcat like maybe be a 416 Rigby case necked to 7mm so you can keep the velocity up. You're gonna need every fps you can get for the 600+Yd shots on cape buffalo and rhino and such. Besides the extra powder would start fires a lot better. As far as scopes go, you need Andy to build a special scope mount that turns around the barrel and will index every 1/4 turn so you can mount 4 different scopes on it or maybe just three scopes and a spot light for night shots. Oh yeah be sure to hire a gun bearer as well. This thing could get a bit heavy. Now to the scopes. I think probably Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss. That should be under $4500 for the scopes which will give Andy a little breathing room on the special scope mounts, sliding stock, muzzle brake and other improvements, with a little luck the whole thing should be under $9000. If not you could always dump the light and add a fourth scope to keep them worth more than the gun. Maybe one of those Lewypold tacticool scopes. Whatca think? We on the same page here?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    If you are shooting out to 600 yards you defiantly need a NcStar. They are so cheap you can just replace it with a new one after each shot!
    I spose that idea has SOME merit. I don't anticipate shooting this gun a LOT.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    You got that far? I got to line 4 and figured ol Smitty's on the jug again

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Well, if you're going to shorten the barrel that much , you better go to a wildcat like maybe be a 416 Rigby case necked to 7mm so you can keep the velocity up. You're gonna need every fps you can get for the 600+Yd shots on cape buffalo and rhino and such. Besides the extra powder would start fires a lot better. As far as scopes go, you need Andy to build a special scope mount that turns around the barrel and will index every 1/4 turn so you can mount 4 different scopes on it or maybe just three scopes and a spot light for night shots. Oh yeah be sure to hire a gun bearer as well. This thing could get a bit heavy. Now to the scopes. I think probably Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss. That should be under $4500 for the scopes which will give Andy a little breathing room on the special scope mounts, sliding stock, muzzle brake and other improvements, with a little luck the whole thing should be under $9000. If not you could always dump the light and add a fourth scope to keep them worth more than the gun. Maybe one of those Lewypold tacticool scopes. Whatca think? We on the same page here?
    Sounds good. I need to talk to Andy.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Well, there was nuthin much goin on. I was just tryin to mimic some of the thinking patterns that we see, on the forum.

And, tryin to be ridiculous, which has always been easy for me.

I browse a couple other forums now and again when things are slow here, but this is the only one that I post on anymore.

By and large, I think that Alaskans are different. Not better, but different,. It's in the way they think sometimes. It's like when you are at an Airport headed home, and about to climb aboard a plane, and the destination is somewhere in AK.

You look around and it's like you're already there, because of the kind of folks that are goin with you. They don't look the same as the ones you're leaving behind, even your relatives.

And, they are a lot more interesting to talk to, even on a forum.

So, I was just tryin to make conversation. I don't drink, and I hope I haven't pushed anyone in that direction with my ravings.

Smitty of the North.

You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Well, there was nuthin much goin on. I was just tryin to mimic some of the thinking patterns that we see, on the forum.

And, tryin to be ridiculous, which has always been easy for me.

I browse a couple other forums now and again when things are slow here, but this is the only one that I post on anymore.

By and large, I think that Alaskans are different. Not better, but different,. It's in the way they think sometimes. It's like when you are at an Airport headed home, and about to climb aboard a plane, and the destination is somewhere in AK.

You look around and it's like you're already there, because of the kind of folks that are goin with you. They don't look the same as the ones you're leaving behind, even your relatives.

And, they are a lot more interesting to talk to, even on a forum.

So, I was just tryin to make conversation. I don't drink, and I hope I haven't pushed anyone in that direction with my ravings.

Smitty of the North.

I can push myself, thank you

I am a big fan of Burris scopes, well, the older ones (all I have used). I got a signature series on a 300 Wby and now AR15. Flawless for 12-13 years. Got a black diamond 8-32 on 50 bmg for about 8 years. Flawless. Recently picked up a signature series 4-16 from Natchez Shooters Supply (site) for $400. It is a brand new scope of this discontinued line. Killer scope for the dough. Putting it on my now naked 300 wby for elk or whatever whim pops up. Can't believe Burris quit making these models. I will be going with a Sightron or Night Force on next gun I guess.

$399

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...e%20PA%20Matte

I got a 22-250 I need to put a scope on right now. I don't think I can afford a Leopold. Any other ideas? What do you guys think about the BSA scopes for this gun.

Vortex makes solid scopes at reasonable prices. They seem better than any BSA scopes I have looked at.

From past experience-- Every one's eyes are different. I sold my zeiss, a tip from a hunting client, for a much cheaper nikon, just because I personally could see better through her. Many good scopes out there. Have a VORTEX- ECO-TECH knockoff on my old Ruger .44 carbine and a SAS Australian, no markings on her, 3-9 x 56 on my long range .30 belted Newton. Thoughts are to try what works best for your eyes. Would not trade my 30 year old LEICA binoculars for anything. Again just my personal opinion.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    I got a 22-250 I need to put a scope on right now. I don't think I can afford a Leopold. Any other ideas? What do you guys think about the BSA scopes for this gun.
    I have only ONE, BSA scope. It's a fixed 4X. I've used it for a 338 WM, a 22 Mag. and some other Centerfire rifles, without any issues at all.

I like Bushnell Scopes, and that's where I always look first.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast