Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a spreadsheet template for handloading

Question Looking for a spreadsheet template for handloading

I was keeping my handload records on a program I bought called Precision Load Records but my computer died a while back and while I had been backing up the files, some part of it seems to be missing in the backup and all my records are now down the drain. I am wanting to start over with a simpler approach, maybe just a spreadsheet but I am having a difficult time coming up with good ideas how to organize it. My wish list would be to have all my components, brass, bullets etc I shoot in some sort of pick lists that I can choose from, and caliber, powder etc perhaps the same. It is obvious I lack the basic understanding on how to put together such a sheet so while I know this is probably a shot in the dark I would like to see if anyone out there with more imagination than me has a good record keeping spreadsheet (or database) they wouldn't mind sharing a template of. I am terrible with paper records so that is more or less out. Thanks.

Most just build an Excel spreadsheet template. You can link them into as complex a database as you want with Access with pictures of target and whatever data you want. Ive been meaning to tackle that so saved this screen shot of another guys template.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Excel handloading templet.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	75557
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Being pretty much a computer illiterate, I just write my data on 3x5 cards and file them in their card holders. I can find what I want faster than my computer will boot.

While new to reloading, I am doing the same. Few things in life as simple and reliable as putting a pen to a 4x6" index card. I just bought a small 48 photo book that holds 4x6" pictures. I will put any worthy recipes on cards and file them away for quick reference and safe storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Nutmeg-Stores-...48+photo+album

Dan

Open office is free. I use a spreadsheet as well. Search for templates there are good ones out there.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Being pretty much a computer illiterate, I just write my data on 3x5 cards and file them in their card holders. I can find what I want faster than my computer will boot.
    I just use 3-ring binders and a hole punch myself but it becomes very cumbersome and not very searchable.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If you want an Excel spreadsheet, send me a list of all your variables. Calibers, bullet weights, powders, cases, pretty much every variable you use. If you're not in a rush, I might be able to throw together a reasonable spreadsheet to work from. (I use Excel so much it's my go to for pretty much every thing I do. budgets, calculator, etc.)

I can't say I'll have it in a day, but I could work something up in my spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I just use 3-ring binders and a hole punch myself but it becomes very cumbersome and not very searchable.
    I'm great with Excel and I STILL do it that way because I can put my targets in with my load data to refer back to. I did work up some spreadsheets on cost effectiveness of my reloading which are VERY informative!

I cut my shot targets into 3x5 size and put them in another card holder. If the group won't fit a 3x5 I don't keep it as it isn't much good anyway. I use a set of the ABC divider cards backwards with the different calibers marked on them, small in front larger to the rear. Pistol rounds in one card holder rifle in another. When I want to load I pull the card and set it by the press and just return it when finished. When loading from a book or working up loads I write the info on a 3x5 and keep it with the ammo until tested then cut the groups out and put them with the card in the card index. Fast, simple and it even works when the power goes out. I'm not so good with paper records normally but this system is small, well organized and always sits on my loading bench and I can find any load I want in a few seconds complete with shot targets. I had to find something cause I am not good with computers.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I also use an Excel spreadsheet that I ginned up, and find it more of an advantage than paper for a couple of reasons. First off, I keep multiple copies (one on a thumb drive) so I am less likely to lose it. 2, its better organized and easier to read than my chicken scratches. 3 It doesnt take up any physical space, so I can go crazy with data... like recording data from every load I test, even the bad loads, which is often helpful as a future cross reference.

If you have Excel on your computor just google some various templates and instuctions and build it to your liking. I would send you a copy, but if you dont have a basic understanding of Excel it wouldnt be a very useful tool, and once you do have a basic understanding of Excel, making your own sheet is easy, fast and oddly enough, kind of fun...

You can also pick up lots of used books on Excel real cheap at titlewave.
    Youve gotten soft. Youre like one of those police dogs whos released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something. Bill McNeal of News Radio

I used to use excel, then moved everything over to a google documents spreadsheet,

that way I can access all my data on the smartphone or on the computer, or anybody else's computer if I want to compare notes. It's a great way to always have access... even work on your database or propose new loads to yourself at work.

A sweet thing about this, if you have a smartphone, is you can add notes to your load data and chrono, impact, and grouping data straight from the bench while you are shooting!
    Last edited by corbanzo; 12-10-2013 at 10:28. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I cut my shot targets into 3x5 size and put them in another card holder. If the group won't fit a 3x5 I don't keep it as it isn't much good anyway. I use a set of the ABC divider cards backwards with the different calibers marked on them, small in front larger to the rear. Pistol rounds in one card holder rifle in another. When I want to load I pull the card and set it by the press and just return it when finished. When loading from a book or working up loads I write the info on a 3x5 and keep it with the ammo until tested then cut the groups out and put them with the card in the card index. Fast, simple and it even works when the power goes out. I'm not so good with paper records normally but this system is small, well organized and always sits on my loading bench and I can find any load I want in a few seconds complete with shot targets. I had to find something cause I am not good with computers.
    Oh Im no computer guy ether, I can figure stuff out though and been stumbling around in CADD and G-code for decades. I took a class on Microsoft office in 07 to help get a handle on my business and wasting a week every year just to pay uncle Sam. Until then I had no clue what Excel was, Id click it and be totally lost, not clue one.

But once you have a basic idea of what it can do Excel is neat. You can for instance you an enter invisible formulas in the background and have it do math for you. Simple example would be use what you enter in the bullet weight box and velocity to automatically fill in a muzzle energy box. A more advanced example is you can pick up data from a bunch of your boxes and have it automatically generate a drop chart for you say 100 to 500 yards in 100 yard increments. Change the value in one box and it automatically corrects all the boxes down stream for you.

People that are acutely good at computers can make it do just flat amazing stuff. It can be a real time saver if you want anything beyond the minimal info we been keeping by pensile for years and once set up its no more difficult.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Reloading is about the only record keeping I do and although I know what a spread is and more or less what it can do, it takes longer to boot a computer than it does for me to make a few lines of entry on a 3x5 card. My card entries are simple. Gun, caliber, powder, primer and bullet type as a header, then lines 1-10 for powder amount velocity and accuracy. Once I have found a load I like I run it through an exterior ballistics computer program for bullet drop and make another small card to tape on the stock for poi at different ranges. There just isn't enough time in the day for me to mess with something that I don't like.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.. I have been experimenting with Open Office spreadsheet a little with some downloaded sheets that looked promising until I tried to tweak them to my own use, and now they don't seem to print cartridge box labels like they did when I first started using them. 15 years ago I used MS Access with some success and I do like a database better than a spreadsheet because of all the tools to speed data entry such as drop down menus etc, but I couldn't get open office database to do anything. I do kinda like Google docs in that I can enter and use data with my tablet right at my load bench so maybe I'll go with the spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle55 View Post
    .................................................. all the tools to speed data entry such as drop down menus etc,....................................
    Excel also does drop down boxes, etc. Look under View/Toolbars/Forms.......For your "print cartridge box labels" issue, Can't help you much with open office, but if it is enough like excel, check your "print area".
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Excel also does drop down boxes, etc. Look under View/Toolbars/Forms.......For your "print cartridge box labels" issue, Can't help you much with open office, but if it is enough like excel, check your "print area".
    Thanks for the tip, between knocking down the snow berm the plows have been leaving on our driveway every few hours have been working up a new spreadsheet with Open Office (too cheap to spring for Excel) and am pleased with it so far although I would rather be loading cartridges than figuring out how the software works! My wife uses Excel all the time for work and has been of some help although while Open office may look about the same as Excel, it has a fair bit of difference in how you go about doing things it seems. I would like to figure out dropdown or combo boxes in Open Office as that would cut down on keystrokes as well as keep the various names of powder, primers and cases uniform, but I suppose that is more important with databases when doing queries etc. Right now I have fields for everything I can think of (separated into sheets for each caliber), a print area for each load although it refuses to conform to my Avery sticky labels) and a place in each load record for entering chronograph readings with extreme spread, average velocity etc calculated. I probably do need to keep it simple as I am not by any means a ultra serious handloader although someday I may take this hobby a bit further when I get more time. For now I mostly want to work up target loads for accuracy and push my revolver and 45/70 to their safe limits (for the bears).. Still I do want to make this spreadsheet thought out well enough so when and if I do become a more serious handloader that it will still be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    If you want an Excel spreadsheet, send me a list of all your variables. Calibers, bullet weights, powders, cases, pretty much every variable you use. If you're not in a rush, I might be able to throw together a reasonable spreadsheet to work from. (I use Excel so much it's my go to for pretty much every thing I do. budgets, calculator, etc.)

I can't say I'll have it in a day, but I could work something up in my spare time.
    Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it but first am going to give Open Office a try.

Default Finally have the spreadsheet finished..

So have been busy teaching myself how to make a spreadsheet for my own uses. I think I am happy with the result. It has room to add onto it, all the pertinent cartridge info is in one section plus an area to enter chrono readings and will automatically figure extreme spread, average velocity plus high and low in the string. Here is a copy if anyone wants to look it over. It is an Open Office sheet so if anyone who doesn't have this software (it is free to download) but has MS Excel I can save it in that format however some of the formatting is off slightly (it will also load just fine in Google Docs). I have it set up with each caliber on a separate sheet within the file. The records run horizontally with the first section where most of the cartridge data gets entered which automatically fills in some of those fields into the second section which is for printing cartridge box labels by copy/pasting them into the "Writer" program (Open Office version of Word) and be made into 2" x 4" sticky labels. The third section is for recordingg string chrono readings which computes average, high, Low, extreme spread automatically. There are 4 shot string columns where you can enter different chronograph data with each column dated as well as a field for ambient temp to instantly compare how the load behaves in summer versus winter.
    Oops, this forum wont let me upload the file on here, so if anyone wants it I can email it.. Let me know.

Put it in a .zip file to upload.......................
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by eagle55 View Post
    So have been busy teaching myself how to make a spreadsheet for my own uses. I think I am happy with the result. It has room to add onto it, all the pertinent cartridge info is in one section plus an area to enter chrono readings and will automatically figure extreme spread, average velocity plus high and low in the string. Here is a copy if anyone wants to look it over. It is an Open Office sheet so if anyone who doesn't have this software (it is free to download) but has MS Excel I can save it in that format however some of the formatting is off slightly (it will also load just fine in Google Docs). I have it set up with each caliber on a separate sheet within the file. The records run horizontally with the first section where most of the cartridge data gets entered which automatically fills in some of those fields into the second section which is for printing cartridge box labels by copy/pasting them into the "Writer" program (Open Office version of Word) and be made into 2" x 4" sticky labels. The third section is for recordingg string chrono readings which computes average, high, Low, extreme spread automatically. There are 4 shot string columns where you can enter different chronograph data with each column dated as well as a field for ambient temp to instantly compare how the load behaves in summer versus winter.
    Oops, this forum wont let me upload the file on here, so if anyone wants it I can email it.. Let me know.
    EDIT: Here is another attempt at uploading. Thanks travelers for the tip!

Attachment 75655

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast