Thread: The weekend...

Default The weekend...

Well, due to some work issues and other problems on the homefront I was not able to take the trip I wanted to this weekend. My wife and I did however get to go tryout our newly purchased canoe a little bit in the local area. All in all I would say it was money very well spent. In just a short time we found a pair of loons, a nesting pair of Canada geese (one with a neck collar), some swans and some cool scenery!

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Two more

Here are two more images of the geese.

A whole bunch of nice photos. Yes, a canoe is a great idea, and can get you to the other side of the water. I use hip boots, and a canoe for deeper water.

Did you use a Canon 10-20mm on the first one? I hear great comments about the Sigma 10-20, too.

The first image is a 4 shot stitch using the 16-35mm Lens at 35mm and put together in panoramafactory. I also had waders on and I got out of the canoe at the edge to photograph my wife paddling for a while. All were shot with my new 5d Full frame camera.

Cory: great job. Those of the Loon are incredible!!!! congratulations. J.

Beautiful shots Cory.

THe first loon shot is awesome! I love the flatness of its head! Did you call in that band?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks Roger, Elf and AKPM. I tried calling the band in but they were out for the holidays. I reported it through the website but I think I am going to call them back tommorow and find out a little more about it. I did a little research on the net and from what I found I think the blue bands were only used on Aleutian geese. They are a rare and dwindling type of canada geese that reportedly have only been observed nesting in the islands prior to their migration down the coast of California.

Cory excellent series of shots …especially liked the Loon …we call them black throated divers this side and extremely rare around our neck of the woods …Only a very few lochs “lakes” hold breeding pairs of theses majestic birds
    Cheers

Default Loon/Pan

Good weekend, great close-up of the Loon and the pan shot is really nice. Must have taken a while for the ripples to subside before you pulled the trigger on that one.

My wife and I sold our 17' canoe about a month before we decided to move up here ...AAARRRRRG! The pontoon/float makes up for though.

Hopefully before the Summer ends we will posses another.

-Eddie
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out.” ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Thanks Roger, Elf and AKPM. I tried calling the band in but they were out for the holidays. I reported it through the website but I think I am going to call them back tommorow and find out a little more about it. I did a little research on the net and from what I found I think the blue bands were only used on Aleutian geese. They are a rare and dwindling type of canada geese that reportedly have only been observed nesting in the islands prior to their migration down the coast of California.
    Maybe its a reward band that'd be sweet, you'll find out when the certificate comes... Always exciting

P.S. What glass are you using?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Maybe its a reward band that'd be sweet, you'll find out when the certificate comes... Always exciting

P.S. What glass are you using?

I doubt it from what I read so far, but it is still pretty cool. The geese, loons and mountain reflection were taken with the 70-200mm F2.8 and the top was a stitch using the 16-35mm F2.8. I think next time I go out there I am going to try bringing the 500mm along so I dont have to get quite so close, although they were pretty tollerant of my working my way in slowly and keeping still for long periods of time in between.