Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best cell provider in the unit 13 area

Default Best cell provider in the unit 13 area

I don't post anything on this site, but I do enjoy reading everyone's comments. I was wondering what some of your opinions regarding cell phone service while hunting were. My wife and I currently have GCI and have found them to be pretty bad unless your in a western village.I'm looking for better service up the glenn( eureka area) and the parks( Honolulu area). Thank you, and your input is much appreciated.

Unit 13 is huge. What works on one side, may not the other. I use Copper Valley Telephone. Usually pretty good coverage on the East side.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thank you for replying. Eureka, lake louise, Honolulu creek areas. I haven't done well crossing Denali hwy. Just curious what the overall response was for coverage. Currently can't even text my family lake trout or caribou and moose hunting pics. ACS, AT&T, lookin for better. I'll check into copper valley. Thx.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

We have found that most of the road areas, access to cell phone access is fairly good. Once up on the Denali, things really get dicey. Some times if you get high you might get lucky and be able to connect. We carry and use a sat phone for most of the areas that we 'play in'. We spend a fair amount of time during the summer riding 4 wheelers and camping along the Denali.

Quote Originally Posted by ATW View Post
    Currently can't even text my family lake trout or caribou and moose hunting pics.
    What's wrong with waiting until you get home to show them pictures?

There's nothing wrong with waiting till I get home. I'm just wanting better service off the road system. Who's better? ACS, AT&T, where you going with this?

ACS has pretty good coverage all around unit 13, but as mentioned 13 is huge. Copper valley and ACD utilize CDMA and they have a roaming agreement with each other so, if using the 3G network, you can interchange the ACS/CVT foot print. This all said, if you get off the "main" road system, coverage is spotty at best for all carriers. i.e., Denali highway, no one has good coverage.

A friend of mine has a cabin off lake Louis by about 10 miles and gets coverage with ACS, but not AT&T, or GCI. Data speeds are slow but they do work.

I would recommend getting someone with an ACS phone to go with you in the area your trying to check out and just see what you get.

What ever you do, stay away from the new 4g network stuff from all carriers. They just don't have the coverage in the state yet, but when they work - they work great.

And as also mentioned, if you really want to stay connected, get a Sat phone and you'll have coverage virtually state wide.

good luck.
    Last edited by tzieli22; 12-09-2013 at 07:34. Reason: Typo
    Tony

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. My buddy has one of those "spots" for sheep hunting etc. pretty neat stuff! His wife can receive messages while showing his route from her computer at home. Thanks again.

Pick one of these up. Works really good.i use it all the time on the slope.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I have coverage the whole Denali highway with the booster.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I use ATT and have great coverage throughout unit 13. Friend of mine tried ACS this summer and was not impressed so he switched over to ATT.

My WallMart Trackphone works well on the Alphabet Hills but not at the Swede Lake parking lot.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Default Cell Coverage

In the past I would have definitely said ACS but since they partnered with GCI it seems to have gone down hill. If you have a CDMA phone from ACS it will have better coverage but a lot of the new phones that ACS is currently offering are GSM phones that work on the GCI network and have a lot less coverage.

I have an ACS CDMA phone for my personal phone and an AT&T phone for my work phone and have taken both out with me on trips all around the state. The ACS phone definitely has had way better coverage but it depends on what phone you have. My wife and kids have GCI and there phones suck so we are changing them all to Copper Valley.

Again, thank you. I used to have a AT&T plan but switched to GCI due to fact that i work for the state and travel to many tropical villages for work. noticed that i lost complete coverage at my favorite recreation spots. I completley understand the overall lack of coverage in "gods country". my grandfather,father,and I obviously never had the luxury of being able to make a call while hunting due to the fact that there weren't cell phones. Funny, but life seemed so less stressful without them. But there nice if you have car trouble. Thanks for making my first thread a pleasant experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    My WallMart Trackphone works well on the Alphabet Hills but not at the Swede Lake parking lot.
    Same problem with my ATT phone.

I have a 4g ATT phone and the wife intentionally got a 3G ACS phone and overall hers works best.
    We were told that the 3G networks are better in the remote/rural areas. So far it's true.
    I like the signal booster and will be looking into that.

Sorry, but GCI is the worse phone company in AK. I would go with anyone else but them.

Copper Valley Wireless. They do not have cell towers very far off of the Glen so you should not expect to get coverage when you are out there. Please keep in mind that we do live in Alaska!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Booking 2014 Drop Camps and Float Hunts
    www.northwestalaska.net

I spent all summer between Valdez-Glennallen-Paxson lk-Denali hywy-Lake Louise with my ACS Iphone. I can tell u travelling w the ACS phone was problematic. I had several ph conversations with the ACSA Techs to try to improve my performance with little luck. One problem is the towers there owned by CopperValley have a priority use for their customers. This feature assures you sllooowww coverage in MOSt places. Valdez proper was fine. My working partners all had Cop Valley phones and they wk'd great. I looked into it but it was cost prohibited as they want typical 2 yr contract and the price for their new ph.
    Its not so much the coverage 'area' is so different. It is the speed at which the ph operates if using it for data (pics etc) .. If I was listening to my IHeart radio on my IPhone, a phone call placed TO ME would NOT come thru NOR would it register that I MISSED a call. Very frustrating. People would leave a msg and I had no way to know unless I randomly decided to DIAL my Voicemail. I was told I had to turn my data OFF on the IPhone ...IF I wanted to guarantee an incoming call! (Lots of good an IPhone is if thats the case.) My coworkers gave up half way thru the summer calling me from their Cop Valley ph. Every time I dialed my voicemail I would find out how many msgs were left days earlier.
    I could call out from mile 7 pullout on Denali as I recall. I did have coverage at Lk Louise. Like I said... Mainly the coverage is where the towers are. Its more a matter of what speed youll get due to the pecking order Copper Valley maintains on THEIR towers. Sometimes emails would not come thru for two days because the towers would not prioritize my mail high enough on the pecking order to get the data to me.
    Another thing I learned. When travelling thru different areas, my ACS ph would become 'disoriented' as to where in the State it was (as told to me by the techs) so I was given a certain # to call that was supposed to allow the ph to re-orient itself. Cant say it helped much as I was moving around alot.
    Frankly the whole ph monopoly situation Cop Valley had on the data towers was dispicable. That being said, if you want the best service in 13 the answer is using Cop Valley. Good luck up there!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast