Thread: Jim Creek

Default Jim Creek

Anyone been up around Jim Creek and Knik Glacier recently. Thinking about a trip some time soon.

Has been a lot of years ago, but I once rode up to the glacier by starting at the bridge on the Old Glenn. Can this still be done? Any restrictions to riding up through there? Any suggestions on the route? Can you also get up there from Maud Road?
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Maud Road: I don't think so if the lakes and creeks aren't frozen.

Old Glenn Bridge: You can, but it helps to have some GPS waypoints for things like the Pavilion parking lot, as there is quite a maze of trails in that area. Once past the bridge, ride north on the gravel shoreline, which gradually narrows. About 100 yards from where it really pinches down, there is a wide trail off to your left. You'll likely encounter a burned-out car about 200 yards up that trail. If you are heading towards the glacier, probably the easiest rule of thumb would be to take the right hand branch at every major trail junction.

While back in there last weekend I encountered a section of trail covered with downed trees--I'm not sure if it was storm debris or if someone had sabotaged that section of trail--but either way, it's virtually unpassable, but that section is only a few hundred yards long. If you encounter it, back track and take another trail. You can make it from the bridge to the main Jim Creek access trail/road without having to go through that area.

The Jim creek area is a total zoo this weekend most be 100 RV's parked by the bridge alone! If your heading out that way please be respectful of the folks who live across the river! I could hear the partying till well after 3am at my place, also remember we haven't had anywhere near as much rain as the Anchorage area has and it wouldn't take much to start a forest fire! The borough wide burn ban is still in effect and I for one notfiy the firedept/ police if I can see camp fires from my place!(they have been responding quickly and patrolling the area regularly) Sorry but your smores are not worth the risk of a forest fire! I'm not saying any forum members are involved in this kind of behavior but I do feel this needed to be said.

Default hardly any water...

I went all the way to metal creek yesterday. We started at the parking lots just past the raceway, about 9 am. Made it out there at about noon. We played around alot. About 13 miles back, it seemed like a dead end, but we found a trail that came out of the woods and cut out into the flats across the creek. Other than that it was an easy ride. There wasnt too much water along the way. Metal creek was way to deep and too fast, as usual, to pass. But its allways nice to get out and make your way to the glacier.

Does anyone know trail that leads up to those cabins by metal creek? If so, where does it lead to? I went up there a ways, but was running low on gas, so i turned back.
    Women never look so well as when one comes in wet and dirty from hunting

Default past cabins

Quote Originally Posted by silencekills View Post
    I went all the way to metal creek yesterday. We started at the parking lots just past the raceway, about 9 am. Made it out there at about noon. We played around alot. About 13 miles back, it seemed like a dead end, but we found a trail that came out of the woods and cut out into the flats across the creek. Other than that it was an easy ride. There wasnt too much water along the way. Metal creek was way to deep and too fast, as usual, to pass. But its allways nice to get out and make your way to the glacier.

Does anyone know trail that leads up to those cabins by metal creek? If so, where does it lead to? I went up there a ways, but was running low on gas, so i turned back.
    I rode back the trail past the cabins when I was in there years ago. I goes back metal creek a ways and dead ends. There is also a fork that goes up the mountain. It goes up quite a ways but is rather steep in spots. I was fairly new to riding and tried to do more than I should near the top of the trail. I ended up rolling my atv back down into the alders.

Thanks to all for the information.

-Carnivore

That trail goes up and back there 8 miles to some mines. Yes there are some medium class climbs that people have been severly injured on. Go real slow and they are no big deal in summer, I've climbed them with studded tires in all seasons, even glare ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    The Jim creek area is a total zoo this weekend most be 100 RV's parked by the bridge alone! If your heading out that way please be respectful of the folks who live across the river! I could hear the partying till well after 3am at my place, also remember we haven't had anywhere near as much rain as the Anchorage area has and it wouldn't take much to start a forest fire! The borough wide burn ban is still in effect and I for one notfiy the firedept/ police if I can see camp fires from my place!(they have been responding quickly and patrolling the area regularly) Sorry but your smores are not worth the risk of a forest fire! I'm not saying any forum members are involved in this kind of behavior but I do feel this needed to be said.
    You must not have been living there too long because you're not used to what goes on over there yet I live at .5 KRR and take off on weekends somewhere quiet and ride. You got no control over what happens there and you never will, and it ain't gonna stop. So make your peace with those facts

Default River water levels?

Just wondering how the water levels are to the glacier? I haven't been back there since last year and I know the water can get deep. We plan on heading out tomorrow for a day trip and will see how far we can get. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arctic-moose View Post
    Just wondering how the water levels are to the glacier? I haven't been back there since last year and I know the water can get deep. We plan on heading out tomorrow for a day trip and will see how far we can get. Thanks
    Ain't no water to worry bout in summer going up unless it's been raining like crazy, which it hasn't. Metal Creek is no doubt ROARING.

Default water

Quote Originally Posted by arctic-moose View Post
    I went up a coupleof weeks ago, so things could have changed drastically, but they appeared to be pretty low in the river itself. There was so much dust from the wind, we never went beyond Jim Creek.

The creek crossing are easy as the water is low. The deepest water is in the trench at Wolf Point. Watch out for the hole about 3/4 of the way thru.

Metal Creek is roaring.