Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Duckhunting Association/Club

Default New Duckhunting Association/Club

Many on this forum know me personally. I have also had the pleasure of sharing my blind with many of you over this past season. I have visited with many over the phone,PM's, by email or in person and all know my passion is Waterfowling, sharing my knowledge, experience and introducing many to the sport.

Many remember last year while I was sitting in Korea drumming up the idea of starting Alaska Duckhunters Association. Bud Bass and I decided to poll this idea and set up a meeting in Eagle River. The AWA rep showed up and gave you a run down on AWA and what it was involved in, which at the time appeared to be what we all might have considered joining. However, for whatever reasons, whether they were not sure on the direction AWA was going, rumors, uncertainties, skepticism or just didn't want to get involved at that time. Many left and decided it wasn't for them, some joined and many questioned the principles it may have been founded upon.

Everyone that showed up to that meeting and the ones that didn't all share the common interest and desire. To belong to an organization/Club that would allow them the opportunity to share a comradery or brotherhood developed toward their passion..waterfowl hunting!

Many don't want to get their hands dirty with projects, some do. Others might want to help promote the waterfowling heritage and share it with the youth, our future generation and ensure the heritage is passed on. While others might just want to sit in a cold blind with a new buddy and tell duckhunting stories and discuss call tactics. Whatever reason it is, all of us share the same passion. Duckhunting and the waterfowing sport, conservation and management principles in general.

What if you could have it all? The ability to meet others that share the same passion and desire to chase our feathered friends, host youth hunts, organize projects, develop programs, share blinds with new waterfolwers, take road trips to new areas and hunt ducks, combine our efforts and resources to explore other opportunities in the field across Alaska, put on seminars, gain knowledge from experts in the field, obtain gear that will help us in our pursuit of our quarry, or just sit around a camp fire and call it a duck camp with a bunch of diehard waterfowlers and have a grand ol' time. The list could be endless.

How many times have we seen a new post on this forum asking about the sport? Wouldn't it be nice to have a group of duckhunters already established and closely tied together where he or she could walk through the door leaving all the BS behind and be welcomed by others that have the ability and desire to share the same passion and knowledge?

Alaska needs an Association dedicated to the common core duckhunter.

Alaska Waterfowl Association recently conducted a Board meeting to discuss the future of AWA. The outcome of this meeting resulted in new leadership being identified. In doing so, all board members agreed that under future new leadership, AWA's opportunities, potential, and ability to grow toward meeting their vision and missions goals was essential to the future of AWA.

Almost everywhere I have been over the United States there is a local Duck Club or Association that revolves around local Duckhunters wanting to get together and share that common passion. Many on here have been members of these organizations and have allot of knowledge and experience to offer in moving AWA forward. I ask that you think about this and come out and listen to the future of AWA..not the past.

If you are interested in belonging to a group of guys and gals that share the same passion for waterfowling..Please RSVP by contacting Bud Bass via phone, PM or email me at Alaskadh01@gmail.com, Text/call me at (907) 830-0718, PM me or post on here. A simple.."see you there"will do. Bud Bass and I will be there with a few others. We want to hear what you have to say, what you think and desire from a group of individuals just like yourself.

AWA is an Association/Business, it is run by its members. The leaders are put in charge to execute its memberís desires, wants and needs in an orderly fashion, manage, and are held responsible by its members to ensure the future of this business is conducted in the best interest of its members.

I am going to reserve Pizza Man very soon and ask that you share this information with your duckhunting buddies, and please show up to discuss your concerns, interest, opinions and ideas in pulling the waterfowling sport together.

If your voice falls upon deaf ears, it does none of us any good in moving forward.

Thanks
    Hugh Clark
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thanks for all the interest

I have booked the Pizza Man in Eagle River for the evening of the 17th at 7PM.

Now if we can get the half the viewers to show up...

IF you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Some discussion points will be:

Just to name a few

What you want to see
    What would it take to get you in
    Why would you consider joining or not
    Why would you be hesitant
    What would it take to get you on board
    What would you like to see the organization do( I want to hear personnel opinion's and ideas. Does not matter if anyone else agrees or disagrees.
    What would be your opinions toward project, programs, youth hunts, camps, trips, seminars etc.
    Would you like to see this grow to a State wide level, Chapters etc..or keep it local
    What type of member appreciation or incentive programs would you like to see implemented

See you there
    Hugh
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Since we had the meeting last year at Pizza Man we have all learned a lot about what we want and donít want in an organization.
    Shawn Jenson has been AWA president for 2-3 years, his father before him. His family has been involved with AWA since its beginning in the 70ís. I have no idea what it started out as, but in recent years its primary function has been in fund raising. It has done well and donates to many different waterfowl organizations, including DU, Delta Waterfowl and the Alaskans for Palmer Hay Flats among many other groups.

Shawn was at the Pizza Man meeting last year and many of us decided the AWA would not work for what we wanted in a club. I visualized an organization with more hands on type projects and emphasis on habitat improvement, among other things. Many of us have been unhappy with the fund raising emphasis and want more.

Now is our chance. Shawn announced that he is stepping down from the AWA president position and has invited Hugh Clark to run for president in his place. The majority of the Board of Directors are also long time members who are more involved in other things now and want to step down. We are in need of a few volunteers to run for the Board of Directors positions that will open at the Feb elections. These positions require as little or as much energy as you want to put in it. (Although I can tell you Hugh is excited and knows many of you are as well to get this going.) Expectations and responsibilities are laid out in the By-Laws and are pretty simple. Attending the meetings is the biggest challenge they have had in the past. Helping out on some projects/events during the year would of course be important being in a leadership position.

In March we have our yearly banquet, the rest is wide open. I know Hugh has a laundry list of ideas to share with us all. The first of course is getting AWA back on track and for the duck hunters of Alaska.

Things to discuss are a youth shoot this spring. Maybe another calling seminar like we has last spring. We did an exhibit at Reflection Lake on duck hunting and boats and decoys and had great interest in AWA. We will continue to do this. Anything you guys might consider, let us know and bring your ideas to the meeting. We need enthusiastic people to put this together, to join AWA and get this thing going.

In case you are wondering, why AWA? It has filed for a 501C non-profit status that involved over a year of work. The AWA has a full structure to do what we want to do and other organizational requirements in place. The present and past members are enthusiastic about having some new blood to step in and move it toward the accomplishing its goals, fully realizing that the direction of the club will be changing.

This is a great opportunity for Alaska and duck hunters to do something to help our passion for duck hunting. AWA will be our organization. Hugh is planning a meeting next week at Pizza Man, sort of a meet and greet and discussion of things to come. HELP GIVE DUCKHUNTERS A VOICE IN ALASKA. We hope to see you all there. Bud
    Wasilla

Dec 17, Jan 17.??????

Sorry.. December, next week

I'll be working out of town next week, but would be interested in the discussion / minutes of the meeting. Thanks.

Anyone who would like to be part of a club that's wants to do good things for waterfowl hunting and promoting the sport to young people or just talking waterfowl hunting attend the meeting
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

enjoy the shoot

I'll email you the notes

Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    I'll be working out of town next week, but would be interested in the discussion / minutes of the meeting. Thanks.

I won't be able to attend but would be interested in the notes as well.

Sent while hiding from the boss

I'll send you the notes Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I won't be able to attend but would be interested in the notes as well.

Sent while hiding from the boss

7 PM pizza man 17th dec I'll be there

I believe a lot of emphasis on this thread has been aimed at getting board members and possible officers for the "NEW" AWA. I just want to point out we need members among the duck hunters on this forum, we need those of you who get out and hunt 2-3 times a season all the way to 2-3 times a week, during the season. In order for the upcoming election to be valid, we need a minimum number of members to actually come to that meeting in Feb and vote. Yes, make no mistake, we would like some of you to be very active in helping to shape the direction of the AWA, to be officers and board members, that is all great, and icing on the cake, but in order for this to really take off, we will need votes at the upcoming election. We want to get to know all of you who are interested in the AWA, come to the meeting Tuesday night (Dec 17) at Pizza man, have some pizza and beer, bring your spouse, they are more then welcome. We also will have a business orienated meeting in January to introduce board member and officers who will be on the ballot in Feb. Some of these people are realitively unknown to the majority of the club and this Jan meeting will give them a introduction to the club and the club to them, lets put some faces to the names we see on the forum. We all hope to see as many as possible at these next 3 monthly meetings, they are critical to the formation of the "NEW" AWA. Bud
    Wasilla

I would love to see an alaska organization get started for Alaskan waterfowlers and I would really like to be involved as much as possible. The only problem I see is that alaska is so spread out it would be hard to get all of us together in one spot at the same time. I am on the peninsula and this sounds like it is up in the valley. Making some way to have input from around the state should be something that is brought up at the meeting and for this to work it should be a priority. I want to hear what this orginazitation will do for waterfowl and waterfowlers. It sounds great right now and I applaud the efforts. I'm looking forward to the minutes of the meeting to see what AWA is all about. I'd be willing to join for a year and donate money to help this get off the ground.

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

See ya there

I'll try to make it!

Tony

Thanks for the input. send me an email or call me sometime. I agree, there is laundry list of ideas many have and it is imperative that we first get the foundation built. After this, we can start executing many of the ideas, projects, programs etc to get this going in the right direction. It has basically been DEAD. I know many would get involved if they can see what we can accomplish at many different levels. This will get off the ground and while doing so we are already looking at some projects this winter, next spring etc.

As Bud stated..if you don't come out and talk about it, get involved, or execute your vote to move this to the next level, it wont happen as smoothly as it could with the support from the true die hard waterfowlers of Alaska. There are many different levels, but the main thing is getting all the concerned duck hunters together and talking about what they want, what they would like to see and determine what level of support they are willing to contribute too.

IF you have any ideas or suggestions. Please email them to me and I will point them out at the meeting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I would love to see an alaska organization get started for Alaskan waterfowlers and I would really like to be involved as much as possible. The only problem I see is that alaska is so spread out it would be hard to get all of us together in one spot at the same time. I am on the peninsula and this sounds like it is up in the valley. Making some way to have input from around the state should be something that is brought up at the meeting and for this to work it should be a priority. I want to hear what this orginazitation will do for waterfowl and waterfowlers. It sounds great right now and I applaud the efforts. I'm looking forward to the minutes of the meeting to see what AWA is all about. I'd be willing to join for a year and donate money to help this get off the ground.

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Ill be there. I'll help out with as much as I can. Getting local businesses involved is always a great way to get a good foundation in the community. Of course if everything we collect goes to charity and the club keeps none it makes it much easier to get people to buy in as well. Youth hunts is a fantastic jumping off point and I know hunters rights/land conservation is another big deal around here. If the organization could get enough buy in from the local community stuff like that would fall into place much easier. I know we will be discussing a lot of this during the meetings etc just getting some thoughts out before I have a few beers and forget it all.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I would love to make it but made arrangements already
    to with a buddy predator hunting. Let me know how it goes Hugh I would be
    interested for sure.

I'll be there.

For all the guys and gals who missed last nights meeting, it all came off real well. Hugh (duckhunter01) discussed with the group of 20+ who attended, the differences between the old AWA that has been in existance since the mid 70's, primarly as a fund raising group to make money and donate funds to other waterfowl related organization, and his vision of the future of AWA. Lot of discussion about what AWA can do for todays duck hunter, starting off locally and hopefully expanding to a statewide association of duck hunters. Things like having guest speakers at meeting, hunts for AWA members to specific areas within the state, youth shoots, seminars and etc. The place's AWA can go with this is endless. Lots of passion and entheusium exhibited by Hugh in the meeting generated a lot of interest. Most important for the presant, is upcoming elections, on Feb 20th. Shaun, the current AWA president, has announced that he is resigning his role, and has invited Hugh to run for president of AWA. There is no opposition but we need a minimum number of AWA members to attend the Feb meeting to validate the election. Other officers will also be elected as well as board members. We will be having a meeting Wen Jan 8, 6pm at the Sourdough Mining Co in Anchorage, to expand on this, and discuss the upcoming election and nominate others who may be interested for officers or board. Much more coming on this between now and then, so stay tuned. Bud
    Wasilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast