Thread: 22 mag auto loader

Default 22 mag auto loader

So the decision has been made to get a new 22 mag and I am looking at the auto loaders. I have my reasons for this and we aren't going into that. Simply put am looking for input and info on the following 3 guns Remingtons 597 ( I have heard they can have feeding issues) the CZ 512, and Magnum Research a brand I know nothing about but like the appearance of the gun pros cons? Any I am missing the 10/22 and Blaser are out of the budget
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I have a Rem 597 and it does ok, but yes they can have feeding issues. The problem seems to be in the magazines, the springs seem way to weak IMO. I called Remington and they said to send in the original 2 mags I had and they replaced them. I think the springs are a bit stouter and I have had no feeding issues since. I would guess the newer guns come with the upgraded mags. I would suggest not leaving the mags fully loaded any longer than need be and that should help. I leave one or two rounds out of each of my two guns. On the plus side mine shoots very well and I have nothing else bad to say about it....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I have a Rem 597 and it does ok, but yes they can have feeding issues. The problem seems to be in the magazines, the springs seem way to weak IMO. I called Remington and they said to send in the original 2 mags I had and they replaced them. I think the springs are a bit stouter and I have had no feeding issues since. I would guess the newer guns come with the upgraded mags. I would suggest not leaving the mags fully loaded any longer than need be and that should help. I leave one or two rounds out of each of my two guns. On the plus side mine shoots very well and I have nothing else bad to say about it....
    I agree with everything Smokey said above. I too like the rifle overall in spite of the weak spring issue.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I only had problems with the original "plastic" magazines. Not had any problems with the metal magazines.

I have a Remington 597 that I built'out for winter walks. It has the heavy bull-barrel that I shortened to 16 1/4" and the laminated walnut & walnut stock that I shortened the LOP for winter with heavy clothing. Makes a good snow machine rifle. I am interested in selling it if anyone is interested.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i would suggest making sure you can find ammo.. i purchased a 22 mag for the kid last year.. and got my first boxes of ammo last week.. with a limit of three a day.. they were gone by lunch time.. I think that HopeAK guy scooped it all up in the rush of 2008
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I only had problems with the original "plastic" magazines. Not had any problems with the metal magazines.

I have a Remington 597 that I built'out for winter walks. It has the heavy bull-barrel that I shortened to 16 1/4" and the laminated walnut & walnut stock that I shortened the LOP for winter with heavy clothing. Makes a good snow machine rifle. I am interested in selling it if anyone is interested.
    ill pm you my phone number.. maybe we can talk.. onit.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here