Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freighting windows

Default Freighting windows

I have a window freighting job coming up, and I'm looking for advice on sleds and boxing windows. Right now I'm thinking of packing them in a special built box, maybe padding the glass, and packing them vertical on my freight sled. Right now it looks like I have a UHMW sled to haul them with. I'm going to Shell Lake, so I'm in this for the long haul...literally....

If at all possible pack them upright. That is how we always shipped them when I was the manufacturing engineer at a window company. If they are double hung, you might be able to lower the upper sash so they are not as top heavy. If the terrain is really rough. You might have to lay them down. I have done that with French doors but the risk of glass breakage is higher.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Steve, How many and what sizes are you talking about? With that type of sled you are going to have a lot more effects of ground contact with any bumps in the trail. You might be better off to rent one of Ron's sleds from out at Deshka landing as they are very smooth pulling.

I have 4 big ones (4' by 6' ish) and two small ones (18" by 4' ish) and a door with a window. How much is Ron getting for a sled? I got the windows for free, so if I lose one it's no biggie. Utlimately, thought, I gotta get some glass to the lake.

Last I heard he was getting $60.00 a day for the sled rental. I have two of his sleds I use for my freight business and they are worth their weight in gold. You can lay the windows down with just a freight blanket or cardboard between them and strap them down and the sled is so smooth you wont even have to worry about breaking one. Worth the effort to rent one for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Last I heard he was getting $60.00 a day for the sled rental. I have two of his sleds I use for my freight business and they are worth their weight in gold. You can lay the windows down with just a freight blanket or cardboard between them and strap them down and the sled is so smooth you wont even have to worry about breaking one. Worth the effort to rent one for sure!
    If you don't mind could you post up a picture of what these haulers look like?

With that sled you could haul other material out even if you had to break the load down to get it into the cabin site the last part of the trip, With that said you could make the rental real cheep.

IMG_1013.JPGIMG_1011.JPG

These are the sleds Ron builds. They are expensive but last forever. Very smooth on the trail as skis articulate over the bumps. Best sled around bar none!

It is hard to see in the pictures but they have the plastic runners going from front to back on the metal frames for the skis.

Build an A frame and keep the big windows standing vertically, or close to it. If they're vinyl windows make sure to keep the top edge up or the glass may slip. Do not lay them flat unless you expect to crawl at about 5 mph all the way there. The hill trail will be a treat. Better you than me!

IMG_1013.JPGIMG_1011.JPG

Best sled around bar none!

Better than mine!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so hurt!! LOL

Are you going to do another gas run to Hiline?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Build an A frame and keep the big windows standing vertically, or close to it. If they're vinyl windows make sure to keep the top edge up or the glass may slip. Do not lay them flat unless you expect to crawl at about 5 mph all the way there. The hill trail will be a treat. Better you than me!

On these sleds you can lay them flat and go at normal speed. These sleds are super soft on the trail. I once left my ceramic coffee cup on my sled and it rolled into a slat on the bed of the sled and was still there unbroken 35 miles later!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Better than mine!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so hurt!! LOL

Are you going to do another gas run to Hiline?

Probably not MacGyver, but I do want to take another trip up there empty and try for a trail from Chris's at Tal! We can get some people together this spring?

Probably not MacGyver, but I do want to take another trip up there empty and try for a trail from Chris's at Tal! We can get some people together this spring?
    I'm game if you guys can keep up. LOL

On these sleds you can lay them flat and go at normal speed. These sleds are super soft on the trail. I once left my ceramic coffee cup on my sled and it rolled into a slat on the bed of the sled and was still there unbroken 35 miles later!
    It has little to do with the sled. Gravity is the law and glass isn't forgiving. Ron makes a good sled. Mark and Michelle started the craze. I'll keep my Swedish sleds. :-)

It has little to do with the sled. Gravity is the law and glass isn't forgiving. Ron makes a good sled. Mark and Michelle started the craze. I'll keep my Swedish sleds. :-)

Huh, I've hauled many windows on these sleds and not a nick one! Don't know what to tell ya!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post

Lol, Hauled them bbls around more than I care to remember!

I'd venture to guess that I've hauled more. :-)

I'd venture to guess that I've hauled more. :-)
    Ah but this isn't about who has hauled more windows. It's about a sled that is so smooth that you can haul windows flat thus making gravity a non issue! And besides, if you were to count the windows in your Ranger as hauled windows I might venture to say as many times as I have hauled that Ranger I might have you beat! HA! Score one for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast